Account: Catholic Dean Koontz, who wrote many number-one novels, tells of his conversion to the Catholic faith and his deranged father

“What’s your favorite thing about being a Catholic?” he is asked in this article.

“It gives me a sense that the world has shape and form and function and meaning. I suppose that’s my favorite thing about it, because I don’t wander aimlessly seeking for some meaning in things.”

(The best part of this rather long article is the first page.)

Discussing one novel, From the Corner of His Eye, Mr. Koontz notes:
"One small, good act can reverberate and grow through different lives and inspire something good in someone else that keeps growing until a great goodness comes out of it at the far end, just as an evil act can inspire evil acts that are greater than the initial one because they grow as they occur through lives. That was a difficult thing in the novel to try to show rather than tell.

If I’d tried to write it with a Christian kind of overt framework, I would, first, lose some readers, which [I’d] want to keep because I want them to follow [me] on this journey. But, secondly, it would have also limited my thinking about it, because where I went in that novel was into quantum mechanics, because I’m a reader of science.

It had occurred to me several times that what we see in quantum mechanics and in modern physics is a confirmation of any spiritual description–most faith descriptions of how the universe works. The further you go into the quantum world, the more you get into the feeling that some of the things they say about this parallel perfectly with some ideas that faith teaches you about the nature of the world and that religion teaches you about the nature of the world. That’s fascinated me, that out of quantum mechanics and even molecular biology, you get confirmations of a created universe if you’re willing to think about them."
I’m looking forward to tracking this one down at my bookstore.
Thanks for sharing the article!
jt

I have been reading him for decades. I figured this out already. The “fingerprints” of the divine were all over it, and in a cool, readable way. Even the monster priest was a sympathetic figure, as were all other Catholic religious. His heroes were examples of greatness through humility and weakness. There were moral absolutes (some), good and evil. His Frankenstein’s “monster” is as much holy prophet as anything else.

I just wish he would get around to the third “Moonlight Bay!”

I have read Dean Koontz’s books for a long time, since long before I converted to the Church. His earlier books were straight up slashers, some were good, others not so much. But in the past maybe two decades, there’s been a very clear good vs evil theme with spiritual elements that reveal a very solid Christian/Catholic ethos. One of my go to authors

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.