Account: "Sorrow at Another's Good: the Deadly Sin of Envy."

see catholicexchange.com/sorrow-anothers-good-deadly-sin-envy

“Envy is rooted in a deep, foundational fear and longing for love. When we think it through we can see that the reason we are envious of the other person is because we perceive that they enjoy a happiness that we do not have… As a result we harbor our insecurities, nurse grudges, brood over wrongs, lick our wounds, gossip about others and plan revenge.”

“Because envy leads us to desire the harm of another person, this sin is countered with kindness.”

CCC 2540
"Envy represents a form of sadness and therefore a refusal of charity; the baptized person should struggle against it by exercising good will. Envy often comes from pride; the baptized person should train himself to live in humility:

Would you like to see God glorified by you? Then rejoice in your brother’s progress and you will immediately give glory to God. Because his servant could conquer envy by rejoicing in the merits of others, God will be praised." (St. John Chrysostom, Hom. in Rom. 71, 5)

St. Philip Neri says there is no more effective action to witness humility of heart but by frequent confession.

In q. 8, art. 3, the Common Doctor of the Church S. Thomas Aquinas, proves in De Malo that pride belongs to the irascible appetites. Love and sorrow, on the other hand, belongs to the concupiscible appetites.

“There are two kinds of passions, and they take their general names from the appetites they follow; thus we distinguish the concupiscible passions which follow the concupiscible appetites, and the irascible passions which follow the irascible appetites.” (Tour of the Summa, Paul J. Glenn catholictheology.info/summa-theologica/summa-part2A.php?q=221)

As abovementioned for the most part envy comes from pride. I would disagree that envy is rooted in the concupiscible passion of love. Rather, it has its roots in the irascible, which is a passion involving the overturning of obstacles by fortitude and temperance. The remedy cited from John Chrysostom pertains to battling the irascible. And humility is a virtue under the auspices of temperance.

Someone suffering from envy might also work toward having that person lose what he has.

I have in the past had masses said for those people in my life who’ve been unkind and unloving, and downright stinkerly towards me or a loved one. I now have a new list of potentinial persons for which to have a Mass requested. Those people I may be envious.

The Ultimate kindness.

Wow!!!
P.S.
Fr. Ripperger has a little talk on the Sin against the Tenth Commandment. Dealing with ENVY!!!

That might be to replace Envy with Avarice, which might not be a step in the right direction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.