Account: Why the Virgin Mary, Herself, Told Bernadette at Lourdes "I Am the Immaculate Conception; a Story for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Which Occurs on Friday, December 8, in 2017

In 1858 the Virgin Mary appeared to Saint Bernadette at Lourdes, in events now fully accepted by the Catholic Church. Then, obeying the parish priest who said she should ask, Bernadette said “would you be so kind as to tell me who you are?” Mary had already appeared a number of times, but wouldn’t say who she was.Then Mary answered “I am the Immaculate Conception"–not “I am immaculately conceived.” What does this mean? Why did she put it this way? this article asks. The explanation is important to understanding who the mother of Jesus is.

The Immaculate Conception is the Patroness of the United States.

Oh Mary, conceived without sin,
pray for us who have recourse to thee!

I think she also told St. Bernadette that as a way of proving that Bernadette was not lying to the priest who was questioning Bernadette and telling her that she needed to find out the name of the lady appearing to her. The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception had only been dogmatically defined by the Pope in “Ineffabilis Deus” in 1854, and the Lourdes apparitions occurred just a few years later. Bernadette was not very educated and had no idea what the Immaculate Conception was or what it meant. She simply repeated the words to the priest, who was extremely startled and began to be convinced that this apparition, of which he had been suspicious, was truly from God.

It is also my Parish church’s feast day, the name of the church? Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit