Accountabilty for sin

If a husband and wife agree to use birth control pills, and the wife changes her mind and stops taking them without telling her husband, is he still committing a sin?

[quote="on_the_hill, post:1, topic:346861"]
If a husband and wife agree to use birth control pills, and the wife changes her mind and stops taking them without telling her husband, is he still committing a sin?

[/quote]

I was say that it would be really shaddy on the wife's part lol

I would say yes because there is still an intent to go against the moral law, though the culpability may be somewhat lessened because it is the divinely-designed act of vaginal sexual intercourse that is taking place.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

God bless

[quote="on_the_hill, post:1, topic:346861"]

[/quote]

Yes, if he is using his own form of birth control. Otherwise I would say no? But now she is deceiving him, so she is continuing to sin at a different level. She is for one lying and in my opinion also stealing because she is robbing her husband of trust or violating his trust.

[quote="Cricket2, post:4, topic:346861"]
Yes, if he is using his own form of birth control. Otherwise I would say no? But now she is deceiving him, so she is continuing to sin at a different level. She is for one lying and in my opinion also stealing because she is robbing her husband of trust or violating his trust.

[/quote]

In the example, husband is not using his own birth control.

Interesting point that the wife sins by deceiving him. If an escaped convict asks me for directions to the nearest gas station, and I lie and give him directions to the police station, I have sinned by lying to him?

[quote="on_the_hill, post:5, topic:346861"]
In the example, husband is not using his own birth control.

Interesting point that the wife sins by deceiving him. If an escaped convict asks me for directions to the nearest gas station, and I lie and give him directions to the police station, I have sinned by lying to him?

[/quote]

If one views birth control as sinful, then they both sinned to start with. If she stops and then allows him to continue to believe she is still on it then yes she is lying to him which is also a sin. I guess two wrongs never equal a right.

There are three "sources" of the morality of human acts: the object, the intention, and the circumstances. A morally good act requires the goodness of its object, of its intention/end, and of its circumstances together.

Let's look at each case.
The male who is under the impression that his wife is using birth control
-Object: vaginal sexual intercourse- good
-Intention: to have sex in a way that is no open to God's gift of new life- bad
-Circumstances: wife is not using birth control- good
The three sources are not all good. It is, therefore, a bad act. Is there lessened culpability for the bad act because he is not actually transgressing against God's laws for human sexuality? Yes, probably.

The woman who lied to her husband about using contraceptives
-Object: lying to husband about using contraceptives- bad
-Intention: presumably to follow God's laws- good
-Circumstances: the couple had agreed to have sex using contraceptives- good? (would it be a "good" circumstance because the couple is no longer using contraceptives?)
The three sources are not all good. It is, therefore, a bad act. Is there lessened culpability for the bad act because she is trying to follow God's laws for human sexuality? Yes, probably.

I won't pretend to be a moral theologian or infallible. It is likely that I erred in my explanations and in my "chart." This is just for consideration.

Read up on what the Catechism says about it.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.