Accurate summations of the various beliefs on the Eucharist?

Link

The RC one should read “This becomes by body via substance, but the accidents appear to be the same.”

Well, for the Anglican one, it does refer to the range, which is good, but the terminology is less than accurate: you can be liturgically high-church without being theologically high-church, or liturgically low-church whilst being theologically high-church, or broad-church about everything (with or without being high or low), or any other permutation of all of the possible variables.

I’d be tempted to say, for Anglicanism, “This is my body, or an aspect of my presence, or a symbol, or …”

Well said, whether for this subject, or many, as to Anglicans. I’ve covered your opening para, explaining not only the range, but the convolutions of the range, several times, myself.

GKC, High/AC, all over.

I chuckled at the picture.

Not an accurate summation of Lutheran belief, but amusing nonetheless.

Jon

I thought it was pretty funny, too. :smiley: As far as I know, the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ are present in, with and under the Bread and the Wine in a Sacramental Union after the Consecration. This brings about forgiveness of sins, strengthens faith and affirms one’s accord with the teachings and doctrines of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. As an aside, I believe we’re also joined quite literally and spiritually with the Body of Christ, Himself, with the consumption of Holy Communion. We’re also united with each other and the whole Communion of saints, past, present and future. It’s a very mystical experience.

The accidents don’t “appear” to be the same they are the same.

Just a note on Lutherans: We say the words that Jesus said - it’s a mystery and we leave it as a mystery.

Here is a quote from LCMS Frequently Asked Questions

The Lord’s Supper/Holy Communion
Do we commune with the sacrificed or resurrected body and blood?
Q: In Communion, do we commune with the sacrificed body and blood of Jesus, or the resurrected
body and blood of Jesus?
A: The answer to your question is that we receive in, with, and under the bread and wine the true body
and blood of Christ shed on the cross, Jesus Christ Who is now risen and ascended and sits at the right
hand of God the Father. He is the same Christ, and when he gave us the Sacrament, as the Lutheran
Confessions affirm, “he was speaking of his true, essential body, which he gave into death for us, and of
his true, essential blood, which was poured out for us on the tree of the cross for the forgiveness of sins”
(Formula of Concord, Solid Declaration VII, 49).
In the Sacrament, our Confessions further teach, the same Jesus who died is present in the Sacrament,
although not in exactly the same way that he was corporeally present when he walked bodily on earth.
With Luther, the Formula of Concord speaks of “the incomprehensible, spiritual mode of presence
according to which he neither occupies nor yields space but passes through everything created as he
wills…He employed this mode of presence when he left the closed grave and came through closed
doors, in the bread and wine in the Supper…”[FC SD VII, 100; emphasis added].

Just because one believes that Lord’s Supper to be symbolic doesn’t mean it is a hollow act. Many Evangelicals believe in consubstantiation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.