ACLU Attacks Texas Sheriff for Refusing to Drive Inmate for Abortion

ACLU Attacks Texas Sheriff for Refusing to Drive Inmate for Abortion

TODAY'S HEADLINES | SEND NEWS TIPS | DONATE
SHARE: E-MAIL PRINT

By James Tillman

WEATHERFORD, Texas, May 24, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) -- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has threatened legal action against a Texas sheriff, claiming he violated an inmate's constitutional "right" to an abortion by refusing to transport her to an abortion clinic.

Sheriff Larry Fowler, however, said he would not use taxpayer funds to facilitate the deed.

"My personal feeling is I don't feel like the taxpayers of Parker County would think much of their sheriff spending taxpayer money to take people to abortion clinics," Fowler told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

"I don't think they would want me to even entertain that notion."
lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/may/10052403.html

I bet a dollar to a donut they lose this one. The level of care given inmates is not whatever level they want. They only have the right to basic care.

info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=9&ch=273&rl=2

provide procedures for medical, mental, nutritional requirements, special housing and appropriate work assignments for known pregnant inmates;

As long as care is provided, it does not have to be the type of care the inmate wants, nor can it be.

I love Parker County. It used to be a dry county, but I think it is no longer so. Still you’d better be sober when trying to negotiate the courthouse square in Weatherford.

I don’t blame the Sheriff for not driving an inmate to the abortion clinic.

Thumbs up to this Sheriff!

:thumbsup:

Hmmm… I tend to think it’ll go the other way. The question of “abortion - yes or no?” is a little more basic (and has a stronger history of being defined as a right by courts) than e.g. preference of tooth filling by a dentist.

Okay, then let me reprase, it it is found to be cruel and unusual punishment, this denying an abortion, it will not happen except in the Supreme Court where they have a history of a militant interpretation of the Constitution. Even then, since jails by their nature do not house for an extended period, the person could be held for a while, then released on a furlough, or a PR bond before it was too late to procure an abortion. That way, the county would be off the hook for it and the inmate could see to it herself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.