ACLU Files Federal Suit Over Convention Protests

Denver is trying to get ready for the DNC and the ACLU steps in to muddy things up.

**ACLU Files Federal Suit Over Convention Protests **
May 2, 2008 10:14 am US/Mountain

DENVER (AP) ― Colorado’s office of the American Civil Liberties Union filed a pre-emptive lawsuit on behalf of potential protesters during the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

The suit seeks to put pressure on the U.S. Secret Service and the city of Denver to release plans for dealing with protesters and protect demonstrators from being unfairly separated from the convention.

Cage-like areas for protesters – made of concrete barricades, netting and razor wire – were used to control crowds at the 2004 convention in Boston, and the ACLU said it hopes to prevent their use.

“The ACLU has filed suit to ensure that law enforcement’s concerns about security are not allowed to override or undermine the First Amendment right of the people,” ACLU legal director Mark Silverstein said in a release. “We are asking the federal district court in Denver to take immediate steps to ensure that what happened in Boston in 2004 will not be repeated in Denver this summer.” …
cbs4denver.com/denver2008/convention.protests.lawsuit.2.714456.html

With all of the talk of riots the city is trying to make sure things are safe for the convention attendees, protesters and citizens as well.

There is an addition story from the Rocky Mountain News:
rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/02/aclu-sues-protesters-democratic-convention/

Marxism uses violence to get its way. Looks like the ACLU is living up to its roots. :mad:

Aclu = The Most Evil Organization In The Country, Hiding Behind The Mask Of “civil Liberties.”

Uh, I don’t think the Democrats will be protesting the Democratic Convention. This is the ACLU protecting the rights of people who don’t like pinko leftists, such as yourself, should you choose to wave signs in front of Howard Dean.

Uh…are you sure?
%between%
Here is a list of the ACLU’s plaintiffs in the case:
progressive.org/mag_ms050208

Plaintiffs include the ACLU, American Friends Service Committee, American Indian Movement of Colorado, Americans for Safe Access, CODEPINK, Escuela Tlatelolco, Troops Out Now Coalition, Recreate 68, Rocky Mountain Peace & Justice Center, Citizens for Obama, Tent State University, and United for Peace and Justice.

Bunch of conservatives, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t Rush Limbaugh, a few weeks ago, encourage his listeners to raise havoc at the Democratic National Convention?

No, he did not. Roseanne Barr did, but I’m not sure she has any listeners. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Rush just expressed Schadenfreude regarding the idea of riots at the convention similar to '68, as some lefties have been advocating:
recreate68.org/ (one of the plaintiffs in this case)

The ACLU is seeking to ensure the rights of the people, of whatever political persuasion, to peacefully protest at the DNC. Peaceful protests are protected by the 1st Amendment thus they are trying to ensure a constitutional right, one that we should all take seriously. The exampes of 2004 and 1968 should be enough to convince skeptics that the possibility of a small group starting trouble and thus endangering the freedoms of those using peaceful means is very real. Pre-emtion of this sort seems an appropriate response. Once the problems have occurred they cannot be corrected retroactively. In other words, this convention will happen once. Personally, I value the right to speak out so I have no problem with this at all.

Yep, I was wrong. No sooner than I posted it, I decided I should check on it (i know, kind of rear backwards… but that’s what I did) and indeed, I had it wrong. I deleted the message, hoping no one would have seen it, but folks were too quick for me! :blush:

Mea maxima culpa :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, remember that if they win, it won’t just be those groups who get to protest outside cages. And it won’t make Molotov cocktails a legal exercise of free expression either.

Sorry about that Dale…if I had noticed, I would have deleted my response.

Hey, not a problem. I just wanted to explain why my words weren’t in the thread. :slight_smile:

Anyways, perhaps the ACLU will be involved in a similar action for the Republican convention.

Denver officials have not yet rolled out the parade route that protesters will be able to take during the Democratic National Convention in August.

But they might find a harbinger of how contentious that bit of geography will be based on the experience of their counterparts in St. Paul, Minn.

St. Paul police have mapped out the long-awaited route that war protesters will be expected to use to march on the Republican National Convention on Sept. 1 - a 2-mile trek the city contends strikes the “difficult balance” between security and free speech rights.

While the route would enable marchers to pass within 300 feet of the convention site at the Xcel Energy Center, a dispute over it appears to be headed to court.

rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/15/protest-parade-route-not-yet-set/

Good. If they strike a blow against restricting protesters to “free-speech” zones [sic] the precedent may do us some good. Heaven knows they never turn out to protect the rights of RTL protesters but if they win here they may do us some, uh, collateral benefit.

So…I’ll just have a beer then? :confused: :wink: :smiley:

Since the DNC convention is in Colorado, I’ll have a 90 Schilling from Odell Brewing Company…yum!..haven’t had one since we moved away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.