ACLU lawyers say Christians caused the Orlando shooting [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/GettyImages_539939450_CNA.jpgOrlando, Fla., Jun 13, 2016 / 05:38 pm (CNA/EWTN News).-After a gunman pledging allegiance to ISIS carried out the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, attorneys with the American Civil Liberties Union pointed their finger toward Christians in blame.

But leading Christians from organizations across the country rejected this characterization, stressing that while they disagree with gay marriage, they promote the dignity of every human life, no matter the sexual orientation.

Early Sunday morning, 29-year-old Omar Mateen of Port St Lucie, Florida, opened fire in a gay night club in Orlando. He took hostages and engaged in an hours-long standoff with police before being killed. At least 49 people were killed and 53 injured, the highest death toll of any mass shooting in the nation’s history.

Mateen had pledged allegiance to ISIS in a 911 call he made from inside the nightclub, authorities said.

He had “strong indications of radicalization,” according to FBI director James Comey. President Barack Obama, in his remarks Monday morning, acknowledged that the shooting “is being treated as a terrorist investigation. It appears that the shooter was inspired by various extremist information that was disseminated over the Internet.”

In the hours after the shooting, ACLU attorney Chase Strangio skewered those who offered their “thoughts and prayers” for the victims and their families. “You know what is gross — your thoughts and prayers and Islamophobia after you created this anti-queer climate,” he tweeted.

He continued by lambasting “the Christian right” for pushing legislation to protect the conscience rights of individuals and business owners. “The Christian Right has introduced 200 anti-LGBT bills in the last six months and people blaming Islam for this. No.”

Another ACLU member, Eunice Rho, chastised GOP lawmakers expressing solidarity and offering prayers after the shooting. Rho accused them of sponsoring the “extreme, anti-LGBT First Amendment Defense Act.”

Full article…

Well, Jesus did warn us times would come when we were all hated due to his name, that is the direction I see this going, He also said many would be persecuted, imprisoned, tortured and killed due to his name…I just hope and pray I am strong enough to never deny my faith for the sake of my earthly life (or quality of life).

Let me get this straight. Radical Islamists want to murder gay people, but hate on the Christians who just want them to use the correct bathrooms.

The Islamic religious authorities in several countries routinely execute gays - by stoning, throwing off of buildings,etc. Their justification for this is in the Koran. Yet “Christians” are somehow to blame for the shooting because they believe in traditional marriage and privacy in bathrooms? And the fact that the imam in the shooter’s own mosque was preaching anti-gay tirades just weeks ago according to reports? This would be laughable if it weren’t so tragic.

It’s the SJW and cultural Marxist mindset. Muslims are considered oppressed and near the bottom of the social hierarchy, and Christians (especially white Christians) are considered at the top of the social hierarchy. So whenever something bad happens, the white conservative Christians are to blame…

Perhaps some Christian rhetoric by those who do not really understand their own religion may incite some people who are already disturbed to inflict violence on gay people. But not in this instance! Here it was a Muslim who killed gay people, a Muslim influenced by the teachings of certain radical Islamists, whether or not he was a member of the larger ISIS movement. This tragic incident has nothing to do with Christians.

Strangio and Rho should get back to speaking up for civil liberties - they are under threat everywhere.

It is something that I predicted that this would eventually become about Christian hatred.

It took less time than I expected. The left knows its audience though. Truth is not a left wing value, and therefore does not need to be adhered to for people to believe in and rally around the anti-Christian narrative that is the mainstay of the left.

I’m Christian; I would have gladly taken every bullet that was shot.

I have seen more and more comments on liberal websites where the posters have gross impatience for politicians that offer “Thoughts and Prayers” after a tragedy from politicians that are perceived to act again laws that they believe would have helped prevent the tragedy.

I think that is where this is coming from. Homosexuals believe they are under attack from many fronts and are lashing out at everyone that they believe has slighted them. I don’t think Christians acting all offended by this would help and the appropriate response would be to support the victims instead of getting upset with them for their frustration in a time of great sorrow.

As much as Christianity is mocked and disregarded these days, I have a hard time believing that most Americans would swallow this twisted line of thinking.

As dumb as dumb gets. “Don’t pray for us because we know you really hate us. And it messes up our view of you.”

Ok look - Not Catholic, Not Religious, heck i’m technically from a region of the world that puts me in the “brown man” category defined by the Far Left.

Allow me to say - there’s a lot of folks on the Left who have lost their patience with this sort of thing the ACLU has attempted to pull here.

Its really complicated, i tried explaining it in the Non-Catholic forum, but there’s a kind of Civil War on the Left that’s going on - between what people folks would identify as Cultural Marxists/SJWs/“Regressives” vs. Cultural Libertarians.

…of which many Homosexuals i’ve known either professionally or as friends have squarely moved into the Cultural Libertarian camp precisely because they feel that the Far Left no longer takes the threat of Islamism seriously.

And they -feel- it in a way you or I cannot. Because they look at their life here in the West and they look at those who share their sexual orientation in the Middle East and how they are being tossed from roof tops…and it scares the **** out of them.

I have seen more and more comments on liberal websites where the posters have gross impatience for politicians that offer “Thoughts and Prayers”** after a tragedy from politicians that are perceived to act again laws that they believe would have helped prevent the tragedy.**

I think that is where this is coming from. Homosexuals believe they are under attack from many fronts and are lashing out at everyone that they believe has slighted them. I don’t think Christians acting all offended by this would help and the appropriate response would be to support the victims instead of getting upset with them for their frustration in a time of great sorrow.

Bingo!

Ever since Bill Maher/Sam Harris took on Ben Affleck/Fareed Zakaria

youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60

there’s been a rising impatience with the Far Left from the Libertarian Left.

To the point that both sides are essentially trying to…using your language,… “Excommunicate” each other from the Political Left.

Incidentally - in case any of you are wondering, there are in fact Homosexual voices that are -quite- vocal about their opposition to Islam…to the point that some on the Far left would fine to be bigoted statements.

video entitled: **‘For gays, what distinction between Islam and terrorism?’ **
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7hvz2zk6Pc

Thank you Crossbones AND TheAtheist, I “clarify”. I don’t have a quarrel with anyone who has sympathy for the victims and their like, though they could have worded themselves clearer as to the background.

I don’t go the “thoughts and prayers” route in the sense of “directing” them (show-offish-ly) “at” a particular community.

I also had a thought, about substandard utterances I learned of from some American pulpits. Does the US have a Council of Churches where preachers could be challenged to rise up to a standard of preaching?

Laws that don’t stand up should be spoken of in terms of law and politics and not in terms of a “particular target” population (even if that was the intention of framers to provoke).

TheAtheist, are ordinary people who think they just want to be “gay” being used as a kind of human shield by agents provocateurs? I had an experience of that in an “apparently” unrelated field myself.

I don’t think the problem being artificially created with toilets and changing rooms is a matter of religion, but of safety, which people without religion should be in solidarity with. Citing religious freedom and separation of religion seems to me a weird route to go.

:thumbsup:

@ ACLU - great job politicising a tragedy!! :mad:

A tweet from one attorney and a comment by one member does not constitute the view of the ACLU as a whole. This is cherry picking.

Good luck convincing certain ACLU lawyers on that fact. It seems like they have abandoned logic and reason.

Chase Strangio is Nero. His statement is just as nonsensical as Christians burning Rome. He wants to rid the country of Christianity. The light that shines in the darkness of depravity can give hope, but those that crave darkness would rather extinguish the light than have it shine on their soul. I would be willing to bet his response was personal and emotional.

So like his perverse Roman predecesor, this lawyer assigns blame based on what he wants, not on any reality.

Its really sad how instead of praying for the victims, this incident is another way for the leftist, marxist, communist to promote the gay agenda and the liberal agenda. Meanwhile lets continue to pound Christians. Everything is way too political.

I just heard a priest during a homily (who I suppose was trying to promote peace) go on a rant on how women are being persecuted for 2000 years, the evil of guns and racism, and it dont matter if your gay or straight you should be welcome to the altar. Not a word was said about Islamic Terrorism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.