ACROD Clergy Nominate a new Metropolitan Bishop

For those Catholics unfamiliar with the workings of the Orthodox Church, the nomination and election of a new Metropolitan Bishop for the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A. (ACROD) has been recorded and made available via ACROD’s YouTube channel:

Nomination of Archimandrite Grigorios Tatsis As Successor to Metropolitan Nicholas

This is a rare and unique view in the inner workings of an Orthodox Church, organized with the blessing and under the protection (omphorion) of the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople.

The former bishop, Metropolitan Nicholas, was quite beloved by his flock and much admired and respected by many others, including many fellow Carpatho-Rusyns in the Byzantine Catholic Church both in America and in our native Eastern European lands.

We pray that Metropolitan Nicholas’ memory be eternal! Vicnaja pamjat, Vladyko!

We also ask God to grant the Metropolitan-elect, Archimandrite Grigorios, many happy, healthy and blessed years!

A a brief biography of Archimandrite Grigorios can be found in this press release, issued by the Diocese.

Thanks for sharing this :)–I plan to begin classes as an inquirer in the fall at an ACROD parish.

Very cool - thanks for posting!!

Memory eternal!

Many years!

This is a great opportunity to watch the world’s most boring video! I stayed for the whole time, which consisted of 30 minutes calling priests’ names, 15 minutes calling “yes” or “no” and 10 minutes of great chanting in English!

[quote="Elizium23, post:5, topic:291691"]
This is a great opportunity to watch the world's most boring video! I stayed for the whole time, which consisted of 30 minutes calling priests' names, 15 minutes calling "yes" or "no" and 10 minutes of great chanting in English!

[/quote]

How very charitable of you to say so. Of course, one may always avail themselves of the features of YouTube, permitting one to fast-forward through those formalities ...

Sorry, but when you said it provided a rare and unique view into the inner workings of the Orthodox Church, I expected to see things such as debate, procedures explained and followed, drama. Something akin to a courtroom on a contentious case, or at least a parish council meeting. I attend Knights of Columbus meetings, and when I attended our State Convention, I considered it to be a unique view into the proceedings of the Knights on a higher level than just our council.

But this video had none of that, it was honestly made up of the three elements I listed, and fast-forwarding would have left nothing to watch, so I am sorry if I missed out on subtleties here, but I really don’t feel the excitement.

So sorry to disappoint, but this was not oversold or otherwise mischaracterized.

If you told the average Catholic that ACROD was a diocese (as it is called) of the Ecumenical Patriarchiate, then asked them to guess how a new Metropolitan Bishop would be selected, the answer most likely would be a Catholic one - that the Ecumenical Patriarch selects one, just as the Pope would do in the Catholic world.

How many would correctly answer that a candidate for the episcopacy must receive a majority of votes of the clergy of their prospective diocese in order to be nominated to the Ecumenical Patriarch?

When was the last time that the priests of a Roman Catholic diocese were called together to nominate a new bishop?

Clearly, this is a “unique” process from the perspective of Catholicism. I would not have characterized it as such if posting on an Orthodox forum.

Further, this is not an event that is typically recorded and put in the public domain, even if it seemed somewhat ceremonious (as it was), especially by the Orthodox Churches. In this regard, it was properly characterized as “rare”. Even after some research, this appeared to be a first of its kind presentation in the public domain.

Upon watching this video, I was surprised to see His Eminence, Archbishop Demetrios. I had no idea that he was acting as Locum Tenens of ACROD.

Indeed, as was officially announced shortly after the repose of the soul of +Metropolitan Nicholas of blessed memory in March 2011.

You may have also realized that they nominated a candidate from the Greek Orthodox Church, vs. “one of their own”. As I have been told by some of my closest friends who are members of ACROD, this was necessitated by a shortage of qualified candidates from the diocese itself, as a large percentage of the priests are married.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.