Act 10:30

Acts 10:30 has Cornelius saying “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour;…” We don’t know what day it was, but let’s say for the purpose of this question that it was a Thursday when he made the statement. To what day of the week would you think he was referring?

The chronology of Acts 10 is pretty straightforward:

One day, Cornelius has a vision (v3).
The next day, while Cornelius’ servants were traveling, Peter has a vision (v9).
The day after that, Peter sets out with them for Cornelius’ house (v23).
They arrive on the following day (v24).

When Cornelius says “from the fourth day up to this hour” (v30), he’s talking about the day he had his vision. So, if it were Thursday that he and Peter met, then that would mean that he had had his vision on Monday. The ‘first day’ was the day of his vision, making the day Peter arrives the ‘fourth day’.

rstrats

At least two modern translations, the TEV and the Jerusalem Bible, change the “four” to “three”. Since no footnote is given, I can’t be sure of the translators’ reason for making the change, but I suppose it may perhaps have been to express the idea more clearly to present-day readers, who have the benefit of the number zero, unknown in Luke’s day (and for many centuries afterward).

Gorgias,

re: “… he had had his vision on Monday.”

OK, thanks. I’ll add your answer to the Monday side of the survey.

‘Survey’? What survey?

In any case, it’s not something that requires public debate. In Acts 10:30-31, Cornelius says, “at this hour, three o’clock in the afternoon, I was at prayer in my house when suddenly a man in dazzling robes stood before me and said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your almsgiving remembered before God.’”

Clearly, Cornelius is talking about the day of his vision. And, just as clearly, (as I demonstrated in my previous post), Acts 10 talks about a span of four days. There’s no question here.

(If Cornelius had just said “four days ago,” without other referents, and if Acts 10 hadn’t given a precise chronology, then I’d see where there’s room for debate. However, it’s pretty clear what Scripture is saying here. What other possible interpretation could there be?)

Why not make the question a Poll so the forum can keep track of the responses?

BTW, what day of the week is really irrelevant. The entire episode has to do with Peter Opening The Faith to Gentiles and the end of the Levitical food restrictions.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.