Act of charity

In Confession, the priest told me that as my penance, that I should do an act of charity at some point within the next week. This is probably a stupid question, but can someone tell me what an "act of charity" is? I just want to make sure I haven't completely misunderstood what I'm supposed to do (I probably should have asked the priest for clarification...)

An act of Charity is when you surrender for the benefit of another, and without any perceived, requested or accepted benefit in return; and you surrender what you possess which is your one or combination of your Time, Talent, Physical possessions or Money. Examples would be helping to serve in your parish food kitchen, or collecting and providing food to the food kitchen or families in need, providing funds to the local Catholic Charities. Giving rides to seniors to Mass, giving money to all who beg it from you on the streets etc.

[quote="vlf7973, post:1, topic:323725"]
In Confession, the priest told me that as my penance, that I should do an act of charity at some point within the next week. This is probably a stupid question, but can someone tell me what an "act of charity" is? I just want to make sure I haven't completely misunderstood what I'm supposed to do (I probably should have asked the priest for clarification...)

[/quote]

An act of charity Is any act of love. Smiling when you don't not to. Putting your wife's laundry away. Writing Uncle Festus whose wife has died.

An Act of Charity is also a prayer:

iccreligiouseducation.com/prayers.cfm?subpage=166904

Acts of Faith, Hope, and Charity

An Act of Faith
O My God, I firmly believe

That Thou art one God in three Divine Persons,

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit;

I believe that Thy Divine Son became man,

And died for our sins,

And that He will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe these and all the truths

Which the Holy Catholic Church teaches,

Because Thou has revealed them.

An Act of Hope
O My God, relying on Thy almighty power

And infinite mercy and promises,

I hope to obtain pardon of my sins,

The help of Thy grace, and life everlasting,

Through the merits of Jesus Christ,

My Lord and Redeemer.

An Act of Charity
O My God, I love Thee above all things,

With my whole heart and soul,

Because Thou art all-good and worthy of all love.

I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee.

I forgive all who have injured me,

And ask pardon of all whom I have injured.

Amen

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Do something nice for someone who can't return the favor. For the act to be "charitable" there must be no reciprocity.

Reb Levi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.