Act of Contrition

Hello,
I just started going to confession more often, after being away for more than 20 years. I noticed that during confession one of the priests never asks for the "Act of Contrition" to be prayed, and the other priest always asks for it.

My question is: Is it up to the priest if he will ask for The Act of Contrition?

btw, I love going to confession & I love attending mass as often as possible.

Thanks!

I don't know what 'the rules' are, but I have had priests ask for an Act of Contrition, NOT ask for an Act of Contrition, and ask for an Act of Contrition in my own words. My personal rule of thumb is that, if Father doesn't ask for it specifically, I say it before I say my penance after confession. Also, I'm pretty certain that absolution doesn't hinge on whether or not you pray an Act of Contrition in front of the priest, so I'd say you're a-okay.

I am rarely asked for an act of contrition, I do it when I kneel to do my penance. I have also had priests tell me to do it when I say my penance.

[quote="myc1972, post:1, topic:293908"]
Hello,
I just started going to confession more often, after being away for more than 20 years. I noticed that during confession one of the priests never asks for the "Act of Contrition" to be prayed, and the other priest always asks for it.

My question is: Is it up to the priest if he will ask for The Act of Contrition?

btw, I love going to confession & I love attending mass as often as possible.

Thanks!

[/quote]

The priest that never asks for it,probably presumes all Catholics would say it as a reflex reaction,where the latter,I presume,feels the need to,perhaps remind people,so not to forget?

Thanks for all the replies!
Now I know it is not unusual & that my confessions were valid.

It's great having a place where all people can be more educated on being a Catholic.

Thanks again!

Deus mesu, ex toto corde penitet…

Some priests don’t ask you to say a “good act of contrition”- I don’t know why…but I still say it afterwards with the penance that he give me. Most priests I confess with do say, " now, say a good act of contrition". Afterwhich they absolve me and tell me to go in peace and sin no more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.