Act of Perfect contrition "to confess my sins" part

Does this mean the next time you go to church you’ll confess your sins? Or next time you see a priest you must ask for confession?

Like are you required to go out of your way to get confession? How would it apply for venial vs. mortal sins?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in all of these!

I would say the answer in short is this:

If you commit venial sin, simply confess your sin to God in prayer and say the Act of Contrition.

If you commit a mortal sin, go to confession at the next opportunity. Look up the confession schedules for all the churches nearby and go to the next available one. I don’t think it would ever be necessary to ask a priest to hear your confession the next time you see one. You still can, I just don’t think it’s necessary.

You are not required to confess venial sins. Any act of contrition and other prayers removes them, as do acts of mercy, the Confiteor at Mass, and receiving Communion.

An act of perfect contrition (the primary motivation being sorrow for offending God) is made with the firm intention to get to Confession as soon as possible. That is a condition. If you make such an act with that firm intention then if you died before getting to Confession your mortal sins would be forgiven. However, assuming you don’t die you cannot receive Communion prior to going to Confession, unless there was some grave reason to do so.

An act of imperfect contrition (the primary motivation being fear of Hell) does not forgive mortal sins and Confession is a must.

Does that mean going out of your way to get confession or simply the next time you are at church?

If it is a mortal sin, then, yes, go out of your way to find out Confession times and attend. The Act of Contrition (even if Perfect) does not replace Confession.

You do not need to go to confession for venial sins.

If you are unsure if it is mortal or venial, go out of your way to attend Reconciliation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.