Act of Spiritual Communion (SPLIT)

Thanks so much guys, but I have another question. How often or when is the Act of Spiritual Communion? thanks.

People make an Act of Spiritual Communion when they are unable to receive actual Communion (which would be both physical and spiritual) for whatever reason.

How do you make one?

so it is done personally say at home, if you dont go to mass?. Is this in any doctrine of the church?

Yes this is what I do.

Thankfully I haven’t had to do it in a while.

A spiritual communion can be made anywhere at home, or even in mass (if someone is not able to receive communion for various reasons).

Here is the Act of Spiritual Communion that I had learned to pray:

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.
ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/blsac4.htm

Pope John Paul II mentions Spiritual Communion in his encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharista:
This is what he says:

The Eucharist thus appears as the culmination of all the sacraments in perfecting our communion with God the Father by identification with his only-begotten Son through the working of the Holy Spirit. With discerning faith a distinguished writer of the Byzantine tradition voiced this truth: in the Eucharist “unlike any other sacrament, the mystery [of communion] is so perfect that it brings us to the heights of every good thing: here is the ultimate goal of every human desire, because here we attain God and God joins himself to us in the most perfect union”.69 Precisely for this reason it is good to cultivate in our hearts a constant desire for the sacrament of the Eucharist. This was the origin of the practice of “spiritual communion”, which has happily been established in the Church for centuries and recommended by saints who were masters of the spiritual life. Saint Teresa of Jesus wrote: “When you do not receive communion and you do not attend Mass, you can make a spiritual communion, which is a most beneficial practice; by it the love of God will be greatly impressed on you”.70
vatican.va/holy_father/special_features/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_20030417_ecclesia_eucharistia_en.html

Spiritual Communion is well established in the Church and goes back as far as records are kept.

It is more than just a booby-prize for people who can’t receive communion. Tremendous grace is available through spiritual communion. It is nothing more than an expression of a constant desire for Jesus. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote about it in the 1200’s. There are indulgences attached to spiritual communion. Many Popes and saints have recommended it.

Here is one formula…

At Thy feet, O my Jesus, I prostrate myself and I offer Thee repentance of my contrite heart, which is humbled in its nothingness and in Thy holy presence. I adore Thee in the Sacrament of Thy love, the ineffable Eucharist. I desire to receive Thee into the poor dwelling that my heart offers Thee. While waiting for the happiness of sacramental communion, I wish to possess Thee in spirit. Come to me, O my Jesus, since I, for my part, am coming to Thee! May Thy love embrace my whole being in life and in death. I believe in Thee, I hope in Thee, I love Thee. Amen.

St. Josemaria Escriva used this short formula which you can say while on the bus or putting gas in your car…

I wish, Lord, to receive you with the purity, humility and devotion with which your most holy Mother received you, with the spirit and fervour of the saints.

-Tim-

Thank you both very much.

Those who don’t receive Holy Communion would be, anyone who hasn’t yet received their First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church (so, anyone who isn’t actually Catholic, people who are taking classes to become Catholics but who aren’t yet Catholic, small children, Catholics who have something going on in their lives that separates them from the Church (for example, being divorced and remarried), Catholics who need to go to Confession before they can receive, and Catholics who are unprepared to receive at that particular moment, perhaps because they didn’t fast for one full hour beforehand, or because they were unable to pay attention during the readings and prayers for some reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.