ACTA Draft: No Internet For Streaming Copyright Scofflaws

It is appropriate for copyright holders to decide on the ways their content is distributed and sold.

wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/terminate-copyright-scofflaws/?intcid=inform_relatedContent

God bless,
Ed

This sounds similar to France’s law, passed last fall, establishing the Haute Autorité pour la Diffusion des Œuvres et la Protection des Droits sur Internet" (High Authority of Diffusion of the Art Works and Protection of the (Copy)Rights on Internet); or "HADOPI.

HADOPI is a government agency which fields complaints and oversee the “three strikes” process. I believe, but may be wrong, that a judge is required before anyone is banned from the internet.

The European Parliament was opposed to the HADOPI law, but France passed it anyways. Is anyone familiar with its implementation and how it is faring?

[quote="edwest2, post:1, topic:192095"]
It is appropriate for copyright holders to decide on the ways their content is distributed and sold.

[/quote]

Yes they can. But they do need to try and bring their business practices into the 21st century. One good example: iTunes Music Store. People can buy single tracks instead of paying $20 for a CD that has 1 good song and 9 terrible ones (like I look at my music collection, and besides the songs that are from CDs I own it's a whole assortment of artists and albums).

I think we have to be reasonable though. Pirating music is wrong, but when the RIAA wins damages of $80,000 per song that's just inhuman. That's not justice. I don't know what you would call that.

A second point. I don't remember if it was ACTA that covered this, but there was also restrictions on what you may do with the music you buy. Things like not being allowed to transfer music from a CD you bought to your computer. Or not being able to convert your music to your preferable file format (not everyone like aac or wma, some like mp3 or ogg vorbis or wav or whatever they like). There's justly being able to make money off your work and have to power to decide how you want to distribute it, and then there's wanting to have absolute control even after people have bought it. I don't think that's right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.