ACTION ITEM! Milwaukee Art Museum – Anti-Catholic offense! [Fr. Z]

You may have heard about the highly offensive move of the Milwaukee Art Museum. *They displayed a “portrait” of Benedict XVI made from colored condoms. *That’s just plain nasty.

The Vicar General of the Diocese of Madison, Msgr. James Bartylla, wrote a letter to the Museum. *He shared it with me. *I have his permission to share it with you. *He also wrote:

[F]eel free to tell you readers that I encourage them to write to the Milwaukee Art Museum (mam@mam.org) to communicate their displeasure, with civility and respect (and with appropriate vigor and articulation), at this “artistic” display of such poor taste.

Here is his letter:

Dear Milwaukee Art Museum (cc: Communication Director – Archdiocese of Milwaukee),

As a priest of the Diocese of Madison,*the decision by the Milwaukee Art Museum to acquire and prominently display a controversial portrait of His Holiness Benedict XVI fashioned from 17,000 colored condoms is very offensive to civility and decorum for the general public and is profoundly disrespectful and even blasphemous to the Catholic faithful.

If a piece were as offensive to other faith traditions or communities would it be equally tolerated by you?

I firmly stand behind Most Reverend Jerome Listecki, Archbishop of Milwaukee, in seeing your decision as insulting and callous. I was born and raised in Milwaukee.* I want you to know that I will not attend the Milwaukee Art Museum, and I will advocate to others not to attend the museum and not to subscribe to memberships to the museum.* I will advocate to others to notify you of their extreme displeasure at your poor decision.

If you remove this item not only from display but also from the collection of the Milwaukee Art Museum and donotforward it for public display or collection elsewhere, I will reconsider my decision in order to allow you a chance in justice to rectify your poor decision for the common good.

I await your reply.

Respectfully, Monsignor James*Bartylla

Okay, folks… adopt this strategy and share on the interwebs. * Let’s get something going.

wdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/facebook.pngwdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/email.pngwdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/pinterest.pngwdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/gmail.pngShare/Bookmark

Full entry…

I wonder if they’d display a similar portrait of Mohammed or President Obama, or Billy Graham, or the Dali Lama?

I guess “art” is no longer about beauty or life but about what will generate controversy and so also $$$$$.:mad:

Yep, sadly you are right about that… Went to art school- a prestigious top notch one in the country- and what you said?.. Yes, that’s mostly what its about now a days… Art school was sickening to the max for me and it was so immoral there I quit the 3rd year. Pervert teacher had us draw ourselves naked from the waist down for homework and if we didn’t do it (or not get detailed in our drawing) we would get a failing grade - not just for the assignment but the class. I refused.

If you do decent art work, you are boring and nothing. If you cause a scene, stir up controversy and just be ugly as hell with no real talent, well then, you really are an “artist” worthy of presentation…

Makes me really sick to have to tell people I am one, because of the new connotations with that term. This is what they teach in art schools… or at least the one I went to, sadly.

I don’t believe in censorship, but one should have responsibility with their talent. One should not make statements just because you “can”.

Look at the bright side…

17,000 condoms went into the project. That’s 17,000 condoms not used for fornication.

I hope there is a shortage of condoms in Milwaukee now and that the price goes up to $50 each. :smiley:

Maybe we should make a mural of Obama out of 27 million “emergency contraceptive Plan B” pills. :shrug:

-Tim-

I am not a letter writer, but this one caused me to shoot off an e-mail immediately!!! :mad:
I would encourage others to do the same, and pass it around on social media. This is the only way these people will know how disrespectful and unacceptable this is!

Here’s the link of Fr. Z’s blog, for face book usage:
wdtprs.com/blog/2015/06/action-item-milwaukee-art-museum-anti-catholic-offense/

wdtprs.com/blog/2015/06/action-item-milwaukee-art-museum-anti-catholic-offense/

Same here.

BTW, for anyone interested, I C&P’s and edited the above letter–made it generic, for anyone to C&P and sign (eliminating things like “I am a priest…”, “I was born and raised in Milwaukee”…)–here it is:

Dear Milwaukee Art Museum:

The decision by the Milwaukee Art Museum to acquire and prominently display a controversial portrait of His Holiness Benedict XVI fashioned from 17,000 colored condoms is very offensive to civility and decorum for the general public and is profoundly disrespectful and even blasphemous to the Catholic faithful.

If a piece were as offensive to other faith traditions or communities would it be equally tolerated by you?

I firmly stand behind Most Reverend Jerome Listecki, Archbishop of Milwaukee, in seeing your decision as insulting and callous. I will advocate to others not to attend the museum and not to subscribe to memberships to the museum, and I will advocate to others to notify you of their extreme displeasure at your poor decision.

Please remove this item not only from display but also from the collection of the Milwaukee Art Museum and furthermore, please do not forward it for public display or collection elsewhere.

Thank you kindly for your anticipated cooperation herein.

/s/________________

and here again, is the email address: mam@mam.org

fwiw.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.