Active versus prayerful

I’m not sure my title explains well sorry. I see pastors talking about praying in tongues, healing the sick in Jesus name, being filled with holy spirit. ie.street ministers. I’ve seen groups go in hospitals praying by the bed side and witnessing healings.
My confusion comes from as a catholic we are taught ( or i am mis understanding)that suffering is holy, to deny yourself and to pray the rosary ect. I just find the I am just following a formal or ceremonial route and not an active living one. I am not against praying the rosary and devotions and adoration but why have i never seen a sick person in a catholic church come up front and ask to be healed, or a priest declare the healing.
Why is the authority in Jesus name not actively used in the catholic realm?

There are charismatic Catholics who have healing Masses every Wednesday at my Church. They do all those things, speak in tongues, slain by the Spirit, etc. I once made the mistake of mentioning I was scheduled for a minor surgery to a group of them during a fellowship event after a Family Mass and quickly found myself surrounded by people touching my head & shoulders and praying over me. It was weird and charming & I appreciated their prayers. Sorry if such a group doesn’t exist in your parish. Look around & you might find one.

There are a great number of people that ask for Anointing of the Sick when they are ill and need strength to deal with it. I have heard of people being healed through the sacrament as well.

On top of that, there are charismatic groups that foster the gifts of the Holy Spirit (tongues, healing, interpretation, etc.) and I know people have been prayed over for healing in those groups as well. If you are drawn to that type of spiritual life, I encourage you to search for a group.

People visit the sick in the hospital, at home, and in nursing homes and pray with them. My mother brought Our Lord to people in the nursing home on Sundays and as a kid it was a great example seeing her do that.

If, however, you are asking why someone doesn’t just walk up for a healing during mass, then it’s because that’s not the appropriate time (great place for healing, but timing is off in my opinion) to do it.

Part of the issue here is the vehicles in which healing is transmitted. For example my parish offers a monthly healing Mass as well as sick/shut-in ministry, and then of course we have prayer groups and prayer chains for all kinds of intentions. The Mass isn’t the appropriate vehicle for the individual to come forward and look for healing via a priest- that isn’t to say people haven’t been healed after receiving the Lord in the Eucharist, however. For Protestants they may look to be healed at their worship service or by private prayer, but they do not posess the gifts and charisma the Catholic Church does (think about the Annointing of the Sick or the Rite of Exorcism)- the vehicles are different.

Regarding suffering, most Protestants lack the idea of redemptive suffering. As Catholics we apply this principal to our own lives while doing our best to diminish the suffering in others’ lives. We also need to seek the appropriate care to alleviate our suffering, whether that be a doctor or a therapist or another professional. We are not meant to suffer needlessly.

Matthew 7:13-28 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

True and False Prophets
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

Jeremiah 14:14 Then the LORD said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.
Jeremiah 27:15 ‘I have not sent them,’ declares the LORD. ‘They are prophesying lies in my name. Therefore, I will banish you and you will perish, both you and the prophets who prophesy to you.’”
Jeremiah 29:9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the LORD.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. Our soul is Important than the body

Romans 5:2-5 through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand; and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we[d] also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.

Well doing the will of God in your state of life is important,and not other things.

Many of my family members have asked for the anointing of the sick and received this. It is a good thing to do when at any time one feels like a procedure or illness could put them at a greater chance of losing their life.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.