Activities that shouldn't be done on sunday?

what do these constitute?

is it really a sin to work on sundays? i've been trying to understand this better lately and i've noticed that even in the middle ages or earlier, especially in the first 3 centuries, there was no law for christians day of rest, so the early christians worshipped whenever they could on sunday but sitll hahd to work.

in the middle ages, people seemed to do other activities on dunsay such as have sunday markets, or sports competitions, plays and musical performances. generally speaking though, they refrained from hard manual labor.

protestant laws in the 16 century demanded abasically inactivity on sunday

how do we apply this today in such a diffferent society?

i can understand the rational of closing stores and restaurants so most people can rest but this just doens't happen anymore.

if i had my own business i would close it and not make people work

but is it a sin to work on sunday if your employer requires it?

and what about leisure activities? most of them cost money these days or cause someone to work. malls, restaurants, movies.

i can't even get to mass or do charitable works without making someone work since i can't drive and need to take transit everywhere. and what about going on vacation and staying at a hotel; that's making people work too. how do we draw the line.

i also practice sports on sunday since it's the only day we ever get gym time. our sport is small and unknown and no one cares enough about it so they just give you the worst times. we also have tournaments over certain weekends during the year and i sometimes need to miss mass when travelling since we are in a new city and i cna't find anything and games are scheduled over both days. i really do try though but it just doesn't happen sometimes? would that sitll be considered mortal sin?

i've read the catechism but it's not really helping.

posting on caf ;) :p :D :cool:

What do police and firemen do if their shift falls on a Sunday -- my husband was a fireman and I can remember him working not only on Sunday but many of the holidays if it worked out that way -- the most difficult holiday was Thanksgiving because it was only one day -- but the other holidays worked out easier. Also if his shift fell on a Sunday he had to go to Mass at a Parish nearby a/c our Parish didn't have a 6:30 AM.Mass and he had to be at the firehouse at 8:00 -- of course, he took the car so that left my having to take the three children with me and walk to Mass.

[quote="BarbG, post:3, topic:347028"]
What do police and firemen do if their shift falls on a Sunday -- my husband was a fireman and I can remember him working not only on Sunday but many of the holidays if it worked out that way -- the most difficult holiday was Thanksgiving because it was only one day -- but the other holidays worked out easier. Also if his shift fell on a Sunday he had to go to Mass at a Parish nearby a/c our Parish didn't have a 6:30 AM.Mass and he had to be at the firehouse at 8:00 -- of course, he took the car so that left my having to take the three children with me and walk to Mass.

[/quote]

isn't that a little different? police, firemen, doctors, they're responsible for saving lives. not exactly the same things i was talking about...

The Catechism teaches:

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.122

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124 

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this "assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven."125

my comments are above in bold

[quote="phil19034, post:6, topic:347028"]
my comments are above in bold

[/quote]

yeah i do get it but isn't using these services requiring other people to work when they might not have to?

[quote="angell1, post:7, topic:347028"]
yeah i do get it but isn't using these services requiring other people to work when they might not have to?

[/quote]

No. Think of it this way. There are typically three kinds of professions open on Sundays:

1) Public Services (Hospitals, Police, Fire, etc) which are emergance services which must been open for the public good

2) Entertainment (i.e. pro sports, theatre, music, etc)

3) and Personal services (retail, food, public transporation, etc)

People in the services industry often have lower paying jobs. Those people need to work in order to take care of their families etc. Their jobs often pay by the hour, or via tips. If no one uses those services on Sunday, then those people will make less money and might not be able to feed their families.

Also, some people in theatre and music do not make much money and depend on weekend performances to make their money. With pro-sports, while the players make lots of money, your Sunday attendance helps the concession workers and other low wage workers.

A sinful way of making someone work on Sunday is if you were a boss at a typical M-F job and you made someone come into the office on Sunday for something that was not urgent or required on Monday. I.E. you are making someone draft a report due on Monday, but you really didn't need it on Monday.

I hope this helps.

[quote="phil19034, post:8, topic:347028"]
No. Think of it this way. There are typically three kinds of professions open on Sundays:

1) Public Services (Hospitals, Police, Fire, etc) which are emergance services which must been open for the public good

2) Entertainment (i.e. pro sports, theatre, music, etc)

3) and Personal services (retail, food, public transporation, etc)

People in the services industry often have lower paying jobs. Those people need to work in order to take care of their families etc. Their jobs often pay by the hour, or via tips. If no one uses those services on Sunday, then those people will make less money and might not be able to feed their families.

Also, some people in theatre and music do not make much money and depend on weekend performances to make their money. With pro-sports, while the players make lots of money, your Sunday attendance helps the concession workers and other low wage workers.

A sinful way of making someone work on Sunday is if you were a boss at a typical M-F job and you made someone come into the office on Sunday for something that was not urgent or required on Monday. I.E. you are making someone draft a report due on Monday, but you really didn't need it on Monday.

I hope this helps.

[/quote]

somewhat,

but it used to be that stores werel all closed on sundays, restaurants too. and leisurely activities were things you could be done without having other people work. i dont' really know what to thik right now.

I think people get really bent out of shape about this sort of stuff.

I for one, have had to work Sundays because my husband was unemployed and we needed the money. I’ve also had to miss Mass on weekends because I worked full weekends with very long hours. My supervisor also hated religion and if I had asked to have my shift adjusted so I could make it to church, it would have been really bad news. His supervisor was also a Catholic (barely though) and would say that no one’s religious beliefs had any place at the workplace and you did what you needed to do because it was your job. Thankfully I no longer work at that place.

To me, it is frivolous to go shopping on Sunday when it’s not needed because that’s not anything edifying to spiritual or family life. Having a family get-together or dinner on a Sunday is something my in laws do as a tradition or going to breakfast. I also don’t think it’s inappropriate to engage in leisure activities after Mass on Sundays. Honestly I haven’t met a lot of men who would drop everything to attend a football game live on a Sunday, meaning they are forcing others to work on a Sunday. What do you do, ban an American pastime like football Sunday?? :rolleyes: We need to be realistic about our expectations but also realize we can make accommodations when available.

[quote="angell1, post:9, topic:347028"]
somewhat,

but it used to be that stores werel all closed on sundays, restaurants too. and leisurely activities were things you could be done without having other people work. i dont' really know what to thik right now.

[/quote]

They were closed by Protestants. The extream notion of you cannot work to take care of your family was what the Jews were doing. Jesus was totally against that. I don't remember which book, but Jesus taught that there is nothing wrong with working on the Sabboth if it meant you could feed & clothe your family. Protestants did away with working on the Sabboth because orthodox Jews cannot work on the Sabboth. For the record, today Orthodox Jews cannot even turn on a light switch in their own homes. In Israel, elderly Jews rely on Christians to turn on medical devices, etc because they are not premitted because it's "work."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.