Acts 15:20

What does “anything strangled” mean today? Does it have any bearing other than a for person caught in the wilderness with wild game?

I believe this is referring to part of the ‘holiness code’ that Jews were to follow. According to the bible, among other things in it, animals had to be slaughtered in a certain way. The meat of an animal that had been strangled is considered ‘unclean’.

There is a guide on how food can be prepared and consumed, and this refers to what is known as ‘Kosher’.

What Does Kosher Mean?

As it says in the German, Man ist was man isst! Man is what man eats. The word kosher is familiar and, at the same time, foreign. One may think of strict rules and religious regulations.

In Hebrew, “Kashrus,” from the root kosher (or “kasher”), means suitable and/or “pure”, thus ensuring fitness for consumption.

The laws of “Kashrus” include a comprehensive legislation concerning permitted and forbidden foods. There are several aspects to these dietary rules. We will consider each aspect in turn.

koshercertification.org.uk/whatdoe.html

From the Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 20. Things strangled and from blood. In these prohibitions, the Church indulged the particular feelings of the Jews, that the bond of union between them and the Gentiles might be more closely united; the latter in these two instances giving way to the prejudices of the former, who in their turn gave up much, by submitting to the abolition of the ceremonial law of Moses. This prohibition was of course only temporary, and to cease with the reasons, which gave rise to it. (Menochius) — The Jews had such a horror of blood, that they considered those who eat it as defiled, and violators of the law of nature. The Lord had in effect from the beginning forbidden the use of blood to Noe [Noah], (Genesis ix. 4.) which he likewise reported in the strongest terms in Leviticus viii. 26.[vii. 26.?] By this we see the great authority of God’s Church, and Councils which may make permanent or temporary decrees, such as are fitting for the state of the times or peoples, without any express Scripture at all, and by this authoritative exaction, things become of strict obligation, which previous to it, were in themselves indifferent. (Bristow)

Today, it means that no animal that has been sacrificed (Non religious connotation) is killed by means of strangulation which results in mechanical asphyxia (Oxigen deprivation).

the meat of an animal killed in this manner would present a weird color due to all the muscles being clotted with blood.
It would accelerate the decomposition process and early onset of foul odor.

The reasons are many both ethical and sanitary.

Peace :thumbsup:

I want to thank you all for giving me a good answer to my question.

I think I didn’t phrase it clearly enough. Are their any strangled animals today? Is this admonition likely to even come up?

I don’t believe that strangulation is a common way to slaughter animals. Swinging a chicken by the neck perhaps? That’s one country old-timer way to do it although I think most use an axe to the neck.

Nope that is not correct when you kill a chicken the “OLD” way you break the neck quickly and let hang it upside down to allow the blood to come out.
In poultry farms they give the poultry an electric shock to stun the animal reducing pain after which the animal’s neck is slit by a sharp knife and the blood again is drained.

I do not believe that any country allows strangulation as a killing method for farm animals.
For the moral reasons (reduce suffering to the animal) and Health reasons.

Peace :thumbsup:

Thank you, thank you. You’ve all been so helpful!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.