Acts 16:17-18. The Patience of Paul

Acts 16:17-18 This girl started following Paul and the rest of us and shouting, ‘Here are the servants of the Most High God; they have come to tell you how to be saved!’ She did this day after day until Paul was exasperated and turned round and said to the spirit, ‘I order you in the name of Jesus Christ to leave that woman.’ The spirit went out of her then and there.

Paul must have been super patient to put up with that for days before turning around but why is the evil spirit shouting the truth, why not shout that he is a fake or something?

Thanks.

That seems like a strange thing for a possessed person to be running around screaming?? Why wouldnt the demon make her scream false things about him or God? Seems like in this case, the demon was actually trying to help people, making sure they knew which person could help them most.

Perhaps seeking to discredit in a way their message…

Think about it - hearing someone shout that in some crazy way while following the person…

I think I would shake my head “that is strange” and go buy my lamb chop or whatever…

Mocking is often a matter of intonation. Hear those words chanted in your imagination in a singsong, contemptuous voice, and their meaning becomes totally different than reading the words with a reverent inner voice.

I have often wondered the same thing. It’s really interesting to see that in most cases, where evil spirits were present, they almost always state that Jesus is the Son of God or something similar. Here is one of 7 verses I found stating such:

Mark 3:11

*Whenever the impure spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, “You are the Son of God.” *

Notice how the beginning states that ‘whenever the impure spirits saw him’…

I guess it’s a further example that Jesus really is the Christ!!!

Well, it only makes sense the demons would be somewhat compelled to cry out to Christ, after all, if it were not for him, they (the demons) would not be able to do all that they are able to, its only because God allows them their powers that they have them in the first place, so maybe they recognize this and are thankful for him allowing them so much ‘freedom’…when he really could turn them all to dust right on the spot.

Mocking is often a matter of intonation. Hear those words chanted in your imagination in a singsong, contemptuous voice, and their meaning becomes totally different than reading the words with a reverent inner voice.

Exactly. If stated in a mocking, irreverent, even exaggerated intonation, it would be clear that the evil spirit was attempting to make a public spectacle of St. Paul and portray him in a negative light.

Some fantastic answers here.

:thumbsup:

I have no idea how St. Paul put up with it for days, five minutes would have been enough for me.

:smiley:

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.