Acts 2:4? - When was Blessed Mother Mary filled with the Holy Spirit?

Hi,

A Protestant friend of mine said ALL were filled with the Holy Spirit suggestion Mary was as well…I believe the following verse is specifically talking about the Apostles, or am I wrong? And when was Mary filled with the Holy Spirit, was it during her immaculate conception?

And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. - Acts 2:4

God Bless You,
Brian

Mary was filled with the Holy Spirit from her Immaculate Conception. Remember the words of the Angel Gabriel? Hail Mary, FULL OF GRACE!

I hope that the Protestant friend reads John 6 word-for-word as literally as he does Acts 2.

-Tim-

I searched and found this text of a papal audience in 1989. I’m no theological expert, but something in me likes the idea of a “new fullness.”

“Mary’s Presence in the Upper Room at Jerusalem” (General Audience, June 26, 1989)

Moreover, according to the same Luke, “they were all filled with the Holy Spirit” in the upper room in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Therefore she also who “was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit” (cf. Mt 1:18) received at Pentecost a new fullness of the Holy Spirit. From that day onward her pilgrimage of faith, charity and perfect union with Christ was linked with the Church’s own pilgrim journey.

I hope the reader does not confuse this fullness and misunderstand that Mary was indeed full of grace from the moment of her conception.

I think it would be a mistake to assume that every time the Bible says someone was filled with the Holy Spirit or received the Holy Spirit or it says that the Holy Spirit came upon someone that that necessarily means the person received every possible gift of the Holy Spirit and that those gifts were all of an enduring nature.

That’s because you do not understand the greeting of the Archangel. Many documents have been put forth by the Magisterium to attest to her being Spirit-filled and full of grace. Mary alone receives this exalted privilege and title, and none other.

Thank you for sharing… that is interesting, NEW FULLNESS. I haven’t heard that before. So it seems she was filled with the Holy Spirit at her conception, but received a New Fullness in the Upper Room at Pentecost. I wonder what the New Fullness entails… so far i’ve read, “From that day onward her pilgrimage of faith, charity and perfect union with Christ was linked with the Church’s own pilgrim journey.” from your link. I’d like to see that unpacked more… “The Church’s looking to Mary began in the upper room.”… that is an interesting statement too! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR FINDING THIS LINK!

Looks like i ruffled a few feathers in my others post on St. Joseph. I shouldn’t have used affirmative language in my Title and or Question, but instead, spoke in the negative. I still don’t think i received a very theologically in depth answer to my question. Probably need to talk with someone who understands Catholic mariology to get a better understanding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.