Acts 7 - 8 questions

1. When did Terah Abraham’s father die?
  2. When and where did G-d appear to Abraham?
  3. Did the patriarchs sell Joseph into Egypt?
  4. How many souls came with Jacob to Egypt?
  5. Who bought the land from the sons of Hamor, father of Sechem?
  6. What was the purpose of this land he purchased?
  7. Where was Jacob buried?
  8. How old was Moses when he killed the Egyptian?

Why so many questions?

The verse you quote seems to have all the answers you seek.:confused:

I haven’t stopped to look these things up, but wouldn’t we refer to the Old Testament for the answers to these questions?

If they are not found there, then perhaps you might point us to Jewish Tradition for the them.

In which case, I’m guessing you’re not a sola scriptura man. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. According to Acts 7 4Then came he (Abraham) out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him (Terah) into this land (Charran), wherein ye now dwell.

Genesis 11:31 And Terah took Abram his son, … and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
32 And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran

1. 1Then said the high priest, Are these things so? 2And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran, 3And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee.

Genesis 12:1 Now the LORD said unto Abram: 'Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto the land that I will show thee. Read verse 4
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and be thou a blessing.
3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and him that curseth thee will I curse; and in thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed.'
4 So Abram went, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him; **and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

1. 9And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him,

Genesis 37:27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmaelites Stephen was wrong, Josephs brothers did not sell him to the Egyptians – who did sell them? Read v28 and 36, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother, our flesh.’ And his brethren hearkened unto him.
28 And there passed by Midianites, merchantmen (This is another caravan, as the Scripture informs us that he was sold many times; and they (the brothers of Joseph) drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmaelites for twenty shekels of silver. And they (Ishmaelites and sold him to the Midianites) brought Joseph into Egypt.
36 And the Midianites sold him into Egypt unto Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh’s, the captain of the guard. Stephen was wrong, as the brothers did not sell him to the Egyptians – the Midianites did.

1. 14Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his kindred, threescore (60) and fifteen souls. For a total of 75 souls

26 All the souls belonging to Jacob that came into Egypt, that came out of his loins, besides Jacob’s sons’ wives, all the souls were threescore and six.
27 And the sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls; all the souls of the house of Jacob, that came into Egypt, were threescore and ten.Stephen added 5 souls.

1. 16And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem.

Genesis 33:18 And** Jacob **came in peace to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Paddan-aram; and encamped before the city.
19 And he (Jacob) bought the parcel of ground, where he had spread his tent, at the hand of the children of Hamor, Shechem’s father, for a hundred pieces of money.

1. 16And were carried over into Sychem, **and laid in the sepulchre **that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem.

[Genesis 33:20 And he (Jacob) erected there an altar, and called it El-elohe-Israel. Again, Stephen is wrong. It was not bought for a sepulcher/tomb but for an altar.

1. 15So Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers, 16And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem.

Genesis 50:13 For his (Jacob) sons carried him into the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, which Abraham bought with the field, for a possession of a burying-place, of Ephron the Hittite, in front of Mamre. **Stephen is wrong. **

1. 23And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel 24And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian:

Exodus 2:11 And it came to pass in those days, **when Moses was grown up, **that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens; and he saw an Egyptian smiting a Hebrew, one of his brethren. Torah does not say how old Moses was.

Conclusion: Stephen is wrong with his facts. These wrong facts should alert Christians to look more deeply at every word in their N.T. and check with the Jewish Bible as to what is true being that Christianity stems from Judaism.

Why isnt this in sacred scripture?

What about your questions make this a Non-Catholic Religious issue?

Hey Hellisreal

I tend to drift here to as you sorta get the impression its where you should be if your not catholic.

============

and as for the arguements my guess is those kinds of things are not deal breakers. This kind of arguement is used to disprove scripture, how many women at the tomb and so forth.

And none of it matters either. Why worry about such minor things and miss the major thing of loving your neighbour as Christ loved you. It makes no sense.

“Two statements are contradictory not when they differ, but when they cannot both be true”

1. bcbsr.com/topics/ntprob.html#TERAH
  2. net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=Gen.+12:1,2#n2
  3. aboutbibleprophecy.com/q12.htm
  4. lookinguntojesus.net/ata20040822.htm
  5. apologeticspress.org/articles/142
  6. I once bought pretty glass for drinking wine from. It is now sitting on my counter holding a bouquet of flowers. I didn’t buy it as a vase yet it seems it is one now…
  7. apologeticspress.org/articles/142
    bcbsr.com/topics/ntprob.html#JACOB
  8. Uhh Are you trying to say a 40 year old is not a grown up?

Answers to such questions and oodles of other “Bible Contradictions” can be found with a quick google search. Why post them all up here? I’m with Kitty Chan, learn the lessons taught in scripture instead of trying to find errors.

Hello Kitty C!

:slight_smile:

I agree with you.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.