Acts 8:17 peter and john laid hands on them and they received the holy spirit

They were water baptised
but the holy spirit had not fallen so
It seems they were not “born again”

Acts 8:17 Peter and John layed hands on them and they received the holy spirit

What is your experience on receiving the holy spirit?

So what’s your question/topic?

Catholic Baptism consists of both - water and the Trinity, which of course include the Holy Spirit.

This is also a piece of Biblical evidence for confirmation as a separate sacrament. A conferral of the Holy Spirit by a rite distinct from Baptism. The locals send for the Apostles, who have to go there personally — the bishop, successor to the Apostles, is the ordinary minister of confirmation, and while nowadays he can delegate that power to the local pastor, it is still customary in the Western Church that he visit to perform the sacrament where possible.

Could say this was an example of the Sacrament of Confirmation.

I don’t say. But
In a recent question . was asked if it was

We are sealed in the HS at baptism. In this case, God wanted to demonstrate that the HS is tied to the apostolic succession.

But, the CCC tells us:

1316 Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds.
And, the ordinary minister of Confirmation is the Bishop, who is a product of Apostolic Succession.

So, its not so much that God wanted to show the holy Spirit is tied to Apostolic Succession, but the perfection of Baptismal Grace (through Confirmation) is tied to Apostolic Succession.

St. Basil the Great (Basil of Caesarea) in his Treatise on Confirmation, sites the laying of hands (as in Acts 8:17) as the precursor to the Rites of the Sacrament of Confirmation.

Alleluia, Alleluia, He is Risen!

According the the Catholic view when Peter an John lay hands on Samaritans, they were conferring the sacrament of confirmation.
And when Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3 about being baptized in water and the spirit, Jesus was speaking of the sacrament of baptism, according to the Catholic view,
However, i have been a Catholic charismatic since 1970, and there is a laying on of hands in this context, which means a renewal in the Holy Spirit. So speaking so of laying on of hands makes sense to me, though, the basis for this does not lay in these passages in Acts 8 and in John 3, which speak of two sacraments.

Yes. I think the OP is probably trolling as a Pentecostal or other anti-Catholic position that these sacramental events are not valid.

I, too, have been in the renewal since 1969 and do agree with you. The best way it was described to me is that the wiring is laid in our souls in Baptism and Confirmation, but that for many of us, the light switch was never turned so the power that was “installed” so to speak was not released.

That’s NOT really a Catholic term that we say before mass.
Other denominations use that term - full tilt. They base their entire stance on it.
Bible thumper separation tactic, if you ask me.
" I was born again, blah, blah, on October 3rd, 1997…ect " - lol
I get a kick out of believers who say that…

Baptism is being born again. Those in that Acts passage were already born again through Baptism. What they are receiving here is the sacrament of Confirmation. As the Church teaches, “the holy Spirit is given in this sacrament for strengthening just as he was given to the apostles on the day of Pentecost.” (Council of Florence)

They have been taught heresies, such that water baptism is NOT regenerative, and that everyone who is “born again” will start speaking in tongues or “prophesy”.

Next thing they teach - is tithing !
Thus the fancy cars - houses - and wardrobe.:neutral_face:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.