Acts of Reparation to the Virgin Mary

I was browsing around in Wikipedia and I found this article that kind of astonished me…
I’ve been Catholic for many years, though I don’t consider myself Catholic anymore. I never heard of this and I thought it was pretty strange.

Here is the LINK if you’re interested…

The opening statement under the title “Acts of Reparation to the Virgin Mary” is the following:
“Roman Catholic tradition and Mariology include specific prayers and devotions as acts of reparation for insults and blasphemies against the Blessed Virgin Mary. Similar prayers as Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ and Acts of Reparation to The Holy Trinity also exist.”

When I saw this I could hardly believe this…
If you are Catholic: What does this mean to you and is this article true? Is this really RC teaching?
If you are not Catholic: What do you think about this?

After going back and forth about prayer to or through Mary this is a totally new way of looking at the relationship between the RCC and Mary… What are we to make out of this?
Is Wikipedia displaying something that is accurate and true? Where would it state such a thing in official RC texts if it does so? Where would it be based upon the Bible if at all?

:slight_smile:

For the Catholic praying for the reparation of sin in the world, is part of our spirituality. Making amends and giving satisfaction for wrong and injury done to our Lord Jesus Christ or his blessed Mother is part of our prayer life. What objection would you have in doing that. When you harm members of your family or brother Christians, you serve them to make amends.

The law re quires you to make amends when you break it. There is much said and done in this world to dishonor God Father Son and Holy Spirit as well as Our Lady,Mary the Mother of God. Prayer offered up for the reparation of sin. is pleasing to God the Father.:)Carlan

My condolences. :frowning:

Sometimes God has appeared to people, usually saints, and asked them to suffer for Him or other souls. Many people offer their sufferings up for the conversion of sinners, particularly after Our Lady of Fatima appeared to the three seers in 1917. Many people have become victim souls for these reasons. I think Acts of Reparation are beautiful practices. To be able to suffer to reverse even a little damage done to Jesus’ Sacred Heart is amazing.

“Jesus asked his followers to receive Holy Communion on that day and to make atonement for the sins of the world by an act of reparation.”

jesus-passion.com/sacred_heart_of_jesus1.htm

The “Acts of Reparation” *to Our Savior, Lord Jesus Christ, and His and Our Blessed Virgin Mother, Mary, are one of the most awesome practices a Catholic could express for the love and passion to “The Holy Trinity”! How blessed are we to have such a precious free gift to do such.
God is so good!
Angel Face

“Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings; yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand.” (2 Peter 2:10-12)

“Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.” (James 5:20)

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” (1 Peter 4:8)

I love that verse. :heart:

But the BVM is not on a par with the Divine Persons - that is what makes the idea of reparation to the BVM seem so bizarre. It sounds as though she were an independent agent, hearing her worshippers in exactly the same sense as the God of Christians hears his: a frightful idea. As that act of reparation is part of Catholic piety, Catholics have only themselves to blame for the perception of them as Mariolaters & pagans.

“And thy own soul a sword shall pierce, that, out of many hearts, thoughts may be revealed.” (Luke 2:35)

Dulia, Hyper Dulia & Latvia… Look then Up & them perhaps you might have a better understanding.

Are you saying that it is pagan idolatry to believe that one can sin not only against God but also against his neighbour - a human creature like himself? If so, you contravene the Word of God:

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother."
Matthew 18, 15

"But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you."
Matthew 5, 44

"And forgive us our tresspasses, as we forgive those who tresspass against us."
Matthew 6, 12

"If you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."
Matthew 6, 15

I pray that Mary will forgive you for the tresspasses you have committed against her Immaculate Heart , G.O.G. Obviously you share Protestant sentiments. You just as well could have called us Mariolators and pagans - but for the Forum rules. :wink:

PAX :tiphat:

Gottle, read ‘Single mom Monica’ over and over again untill you get it.
I read in the news many years back of a so called artist who displayed an object depicting the Mother of Jesus , Mary, covered in dung. What would you do about
someone covering the picture of your mother with the same.
That is just one example of all the hate spewed out in this world on the Mother of our Lord. Three or four years ago on my oun cjhurch grounds a statue of our Lady was destroyed.

When Christians like you claim the lie that we Catholics put Mary on a par with the Trinity you do so out of ignorance, complete ignorance of our spirituality. you are not understanding the concept of offering up prayer to the Father through the Mother of his Son Jesus. do you scoff at the prayers that your own mother offers up for you and the world of sinners for the sake of Christs passion.Carlan

(emphasis added)

Latvia?
I looked it up:
LINK

Latvia, officially the Republic of Latvia is a country in the Baltic region of Northern Europe. It is bordered to the north by Estonia (343 km), to the south by Lithuania (588 km), to the east by the Russian Federation (276 km), and to the southeast by Belarus (141 km). Across the Baltic Sea to the west lies Sweden. The territory of Latvia covers 64,589 km2 (24,938 sq mi) and it has a temperate seasonal climate.

Perhaps what was meant was the word coming from the latin. Carlan
That is the word dulia.

Lol, no… He already had Dulia and “Hyper Dulia” in the list… I guess it was supposed to mean “Latria”… just thought it was rather funny, because this misspelling actually led to a state of the European Union (giving a reasonable result).

Dulia:
[LIST]
*]from Medieval Latin: service,
*]from Greek douleia slavery, from doulos slave
*]the veneration accorded to saints in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Churches, as contrasted with hyperdulia and latria
[/LIST]

Hyperdulia:
[LIST]
*]Hyper - from Ancient Greek ὑπέρ (huper, “over”)
*]Dulia - from Medieval Latin: service; from Greek douleia slavery, from doulos slave
*]RC Church special veneration accorded to the Virgin Mary Compare dulia, latria
*]the veneration offered by Roman Catholics to the Virgin Mary as the most exalted of human beings[/LIST]

Latria:
[LIST]
*]via Latin from Greek latreia worship
*]RC Church Theol the adoration that may be offered to God alone
*]worship of the highest order that can be offered only to God
[/LIST]

From my point of view (knowing that the world looks different through other people’s eyes) it appears very much alike.
The outward and the inwards actions are basically the same. The definition changes only with a different recipient. Making myself a servant / slave to a saint (as in “dulia”) is called exactly that: Dulia. When this servanthood and personal enslavement is however directed towards Mary it is called “Hyperdulia”. If I then add the notion that my recipient is God, then it becomes “Latria”.
If these definitions were not dependent upon the recipient it would seem that they are more or less the same… I guess that is why most Protestants do not practice “Dulia” nor “Hyperdulia” and I guess that’s why I really cannot comprehend the notion of acts of reparation towards Mary. I cannot blaspheme against her since she is not God and she is not my neighbor so that I cannot sin against her and ask her for forgiveness if I do so (as opposed to my neighbor whom I can ask for forgiveness if I sin against him).
I know that your point of view might be rather different, so please don’t stone me for voicing mine… I do think that Mary is a wonderful example of how we can serve God. She did say yes to God’s plan and she had the honor and privilege to have the blessing of carrying the Messiah. Today we can learn from that in that we can truly give our lives to God and see the blessings that come out of obeying Him.
I disagree however with the notion of sin against Mary, asking her for forgiveness or even making myself a slave to her in any form or fashion. Hence the question, because these acts of reparation that seem strange to me.
Even though I might have been catechized thoroughly these ideas have never been presented to me, making it even harder for me to believe that this is actually an official teaching. After what I have read until now you seem to accept it as a such.
I just still wonder what verses the RCC bases this on and where in the Catechism these teachings are found.

It is part of some Catholics prayer life and spirituality to go through Mary to Jesus the one mediator with their prayer to the Father.Just as you would likely go through your pastor or your church friends for prayer to the Father for your own needs
Janet this world of sin needs prayer.We can offer up our own prayers and sufferings through the saints in heaven, Mary, and Jesus to the Father for the reparation of all sin committed in this world against the Blessed Trinity, Mary , the Saints in heaven and each other here below.
It surprises me that you don’t get it.
We are asking Mary to pray for the world for conviction of sin and for forgiveness.
How can we be making our selves slaves to her simply in trusting in the power of her prayer to her Son and Savior Jesus Christ.:confused::shrug: Carlan

I do understand what the church teaches and that they think it is the truth, but I do not believe nor agree anymore.
“Dulia” stems back to the Greek word “doulos” that is also being used by Paul in adressing the various churches in the different letters he wrote.
He calls himself a servant / slave of Jesus Christ. That is what the word doulos is all about.
The word dulia stems from exactly that Greek word and I do not see myself being a slave or a servant to Mary in any way.
JP2 and others “consecrated themselves” to the heart of Mary and declared themselves her servant. Anybody who practices dulia does exactly what it says… they are making themselves servants to Mary (in Hyperdulia that is even more than just Dulia) or to other “Saints”.

We can’t go ahead and ask Mary for forgiveness of our sins. Our sins are not against Mary to begin with. All sins are primarily vertical and thereby against God. We cannot sin against Mary as she is not among us and she is not God either. We cannot sin against Mary as all of our sins are vertical (against God) and most of them are horizontal (against our fellow men). We cannot sin against Mary or anybody else who is deceased. Because we cannot sin against her we cannot ask her for forgiveness.

I have never heard of the Acts of Reparation to the Virgin Mary. I am not against it. I must say, however with caution, that these are little practices of piety that are not faith in itself, and are not essential to faith. Only faith in the Son of God, Jesus Christ, his mission of salvation, his life, his preaching, his teachings, his suffering, his death, his Resurrection, and his Ascension are vital to one’s Christian faith beliefs.

This not to minimize Mary’s role in Salvation, but to put it back in focus. At least that is my take on the subject, right or wrong. I do not intend on insulting Mary or anyone who believes in these little practices. We must all ascend the mountain of faith with whatever tools it takes and at whatever speed it takes to reach the summit (Heaven(.

Thank you for that Frankly. What bothers me is that Janet,and many other separated Christians give the impression that they believe Catholics hold the Mother of God on a par with the Trinity, and no matter, when we tell them that is not the truth they will still not accept what we say. And so around and around we go. I am getting off the merry-go-round. It is Janet’s pet topic for some reason, I don’t understand why. Thanks for posting FRankly and g’night and God bless.:)Carlan

Why do you keep saying that? Didn’t you see the passage I quoted?

“Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings; yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand.” (2 Peter 2:10-12)

You see that St. Peter is not talking about them slandering angels or the Lord, so he’s talking about the Saints. So yes, you can sin against them, or against anyone who has died by bearing false witness against them, and other ways. And yes, as you can see, you can blaspheme Saints, not just God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.