Adam and Eve and monotheism

I know we don't have to take Genesis totally literally, but I'm confused on something. If God created Adam and Eve and was, as Genesis tells, acquainted with the first humans, why is polytheism generally believed (to my understanding) to predate monotheism?

Because the first humans, and increasingly so their descendants, became totally unacquainted with God. Sin and ignorance and darkness flourished to the extent that God had to reveal Himself to us little at a time via His chosen people. We began enlightened and graced and, left solely to our own devices, apart from God, there are virtually no limits to the depths to which we may fall.

Would you mind pointing out where you heard or read that?

Best,
Ed

The catechism somewhere around 390 says that the fall from grace was written in figurative language. Don’t remember about Adam and Eve themselves

[quote="Mkb617, post:4, topic:343804"]
The catechism somewhere around 390 says that the fall from grace was written in figurative language. Don't remember about Adam and Eve themselves

[/quote]

It says Adam & Eve were real people, parents of all living humans. who committed the first actual sin of disobedience of God. Much of the story, however, does use symbolic and figurative language.

Its the same as atheists and pagans saying that every Christian feast day and even the Cross itself was used by them first so to attack us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.