Adam and Eve-Different races and nationalities?

If all of us descend from Adam and Eve how is it there are so many races that look so different in appearence? Why were we seperated for so long…geographically…that is? How does the Church explain these things?

Hello! The Church teaches Adam and Eve were real…and that is true Gospel. I don’t know what the Churches official teaching is outside of that, which I say Amen to.

There is such a thing as evolution, and as a species we are still evolving today, people are growing taller, children are being born without wisdom teeth, and I even read that in general, people are growing less hairy than we used to be (probably because we have invented ways to escape the elements, and hair isn’t as necessary as before), and one day we will be really tall hairless people.

That being said, we are different colors due to the fact that some folks lived in Africa, and really needed Melatonin (skins protection from sun), and some lived in Europe, where the sun isn’t out as much and they are generally lighter skinned.
The Church agrees with science that is proven factual!

[quote=Kenandbarbie]If all of us descend from Adam and Eve how is it there are so many races that look so different in appearence?
[/quote]

God made the human form so it could adapt to environmental conditions it found itself in.

[quote=Kenandbarbie]Why were we seperated for so long…geographically…that is?
[/quote]

Perhaps folks found a good place to call home and simply stayed around there. Transportation being what it was at the time - nearly non-existant short of riding some kind of domesticated animal and walking of course. A 30 mile trip was probably a very long way to go without a good reason. Now we can do in 15 to 20 min. Who knows? The one thing for sure is that we have a common origin; even with different physical appearances we’re still biologically compatable.

[quote=Kenandbarbie]How does the Church explain these things?
[/quote]

Beyond Adam and Eve I’m not sure that the church would even try; they might leave that up to the anthropologists instead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.