Adam and Eve meant to be alone forever?

When God created everything, and filled the waters with sea creatures and the earth with animal life, He told them to “be fruitful and multiply.” Then He made Adam from the dust of the earth and breathed life into the Man, then saw it wasn’t good that he was alone so took a rib from the Man and formed the Woman, Eve. I’m reading “Havah: The Story of Eve” by Tosca Lee (I think it’s beautifully, powerfully written, by the way), and it’s got me thinking more and more about these first two.
God had made a paradise for Adam and Eve to live in, where they would never die, and everything was beautiful and perfect, the animals gentle, everything provided for them by God… then the Fall ruined everything and turned the beauty into rottenness.
Though a thought came to me. If Eve hadn’t eaten of the fruit and given some to her husband, if they had never disobeyed God, would they have lived alone, just with eachother, the animals, and God walking with them in this perfect paradise forever, to this day? Or would, eventually, they still have copulated and had children, and eventually populated the world, albeit the beautiful paradise of no death or sin which God originally intended?
I kind of like the idea of Adam and Eve, just meant to be alone, in this heaven on earth, just themselves, the animals, and God. It seems so romantic and quiet.
I only wonder, because I’m never clear on whether or not Adam and Eve had relations only after the Fall, or if they were intimate, as husband and wife, before?

“Romantic and quiet” is subjective, and doesn’t always represent God’s Will. Man was “created in God’s image and likeness, male and female He created them”. He told them to be fruitful and multiply BEFORE the fall of man.
Being made in God’s image and likeness would preclude living alone as just two people. Their love for one another would naturally have to be procreative because it is modeled after the very image and likeness of God, a Triune God. The closest image that man can come to the Trinity is a family: Father, Mother, Children (who are the generation of the love between Father and Mother). God’s will for man, prior to the fall, involved a procreative love for one another. So, no, Adam and Eve were never meant to be alone forever. God’s own Word tells us otherwise, as does the fact that we are made in God’s image and likeness.

If Adam and Eve did not procreate, they would be disobeying God since He told them to have children. Had they not fallen, they still would have had children.

Yep, the OP better stop reading this “Story of Eve” book…lots of error in it.

We are not made for romantic and quiet, however desirable it may seem to some.

They were always intended to have children. That, after all, is the point of sexual behavior.

ICXC NIKA

Why would God have made them male and female with sexual organs if he did not intend them to have children from the get go? Procreation is a beautiful thing. Do you really think it is a curse being the result of a fall? Or do you not think it was God’s intention all along? Obviously it was God’s intention all along. Our modern society tries to separate sex and procreation. God never did that from the beginning. God never made them that way and then handed them contraceptives. If God never intended for them to have children he would have made Adam and Steve, rather than Adam and Eve.:wink:

Procreation also says something about ourselves. Angels are each created directly by God. Each angel therefore is its own species. Whereas mankind is all related to each other through procreation. We being corporeal creatures of matter have a most interesting way of creating more of ourselves. Through these biological processes we can create our offspring. This is something the angels can not do. As each angel is created directly by God they are not related to each other through any process of procreation.

God gave them the commandment to be fruitful and multiply before they committed the original sin, hence they were not meant to be alone. They were meant to have children. Love is fruitful and children are a blessing. God did not give Adam and Eve sexual organs as a provision after the fall.

Sex isn’t just romantic, beautiful and pleasurable. Sex is holy. In the sexual act, man and woman enter into the divine life of God in the intercommunion of persons thereby mirroring the very nature of the Holy Trinity – the two become one.

My sister, I highly recommend you read Pope John Paul’s Theology of the body written by Christopher West. It discusses in detail the first three chapters of Genesis and what life was like before the fall.

God bless,

We should thank God and also satan for causing Adam to eat the fruit as otherwise the situation would have been worse than hell.Just imagine -Adam and his decendents women and children living naked without any feeling of shame,exactly like animals.No death even if you are thousands of years old and became like a piece of bone.God providing every thing to eat ,so the only work is climbing the trees to puck the fruit…

THANK SATAN ?? Wow, are you mixed up! :hypno:

Adam & Eve were in God’s Garden of Eden…everything was beautiful until they sinned. Read Genesis in your Bible …:coffeeread:

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said the them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; . . .” Gen. 1: 27-28

“. . . she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate,. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons.” Gen. 2: 6-7

NOTE: Be fruitful and multiply – Genesis CHAPTER ONE
Original sin – Genesis CHAPTER TWO

After they sinned by disobeying God, nakedness now became an occasion of sin! It wasn’t meant to be that way…Adam & Eve had control over their bodies before the Fall.

Pl. through away the faulty idea that sex is sin and only those who do not have control over their body will indulge in sex.

… Who said anything about sex?

Adam & Eve were in essence…married! That’s why God told them “be fruitful & multiply.”

Sex is sinful for those who are not married ( to each other ).

They’re not meant to be alone forever.

God said “Be fruitful and multiply.”

If they didn’t do that, that’s a sin and game over, they get kicked out.

So clearly they were meant to have children in the Garden of Eden.

Isnt there some bizarre verses about how Israel will the capitol of the world when the new heaven descends, God will live with us in this city, but according to some of these verses Ive heard, there will still be other cities, outside the new heaven. I forget where I heard all this, it was kind of bizarre, I do remember that, something about if the people living outside the new Israel do not come to the yearly ‘celebration’ to pay homage, they will not receive any rainfall, and some other strange things.

I do not consider heading to the supreme presence of the Beatific Vision as being worse than hell. :mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.