Adam Bartlett hired by Phoenix Cathedral as Director of Sacred Music

I have some great news from the Diocese of Phoenix, Arizona! The Ss. Simon & Jude Cathedral has hired Adam Bartlett as Director of Sacred Music. Bulletin here (PDF).

Bartlett is a rising star in the sacred music scene. I knew him as a recent college graduate when he was Assistant Music Director at a nearby parish and I was a member of the music ministry. Before coming to the Cathedral, he has contributed to the Chant Café blog and, while Director of Music at St. Joan of Arc parish, he wrote the well-received Simple English Propers.

This comes as no surprise to careful observers, as Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted has expressed his own views on sacred music, particularly in a published series called Singing the Mass.

I think the Cathedral will be blessed by this new addition and I look forward eagerly to Adam's work influencing the liturgy. Hopefully some of it will be showcased on the weekly TV Mass.

As a footnote, I am excited by the whispers in my own parish that we are ordering copies of the Lumen Christi Missal. We currently use the Gather hymnal and photocopied worship aids in English and Spanish; perhaps we are also on a course to "reform of the reform" and begin singing the Mass as the Church intends.

YAY!!! I envy you, Phoenix.

By the way, here is some compositions that Adam has done, also directed by him. Check it out:

youtube.com/watch?v=FUn7RtpLBEA
youtube.com/watch?v=JOjaaaZfkkQ&feature=player_embedded#t=17s

The second one is especially good. Both of them have choral verses, and antiphons from his book SEP.

Here's more work directing a choir:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fkw2K6ipzsg&feature=relmfu

Also, a great talk by him on liturgical music. many don't know that just a few years ago, he was playing in p&w bands himself!

youtube.com/watch?v=HUii137_fRY&feature=related

That’s great news and I’m excited for your Parish. I hope the news about Bartlett spreads the use of his book. We can only hope.

[quote="superamazingman, post:3, topic:298910"]
By the way, here is some compositions that Adam has done, also directed by him. Check it out:

youtube.com/watch?v=FUn7RtpLBEA
youtube.com/watch?v=JOjaaaZfkkQ&feature=player_embedded#t=17s

The second one is especially good. Both of them have choral verses, and antiphons from his book SEP.

Here's more work directing a choir:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fkw2K6ipzsg&feature=relmfu

Also, a great talk by him on liturgical music. many don't know that just a few years ago, he was playing in p&w bands himself!

youtube.com/watch?v=HUii137_fRY&feature=related

[/quote]

Great links! I'm currently listening to his talk at Steubenville. Very Interesting.

[quote="Sarabande, post:5, topic:298910"]
Great links! I'm currently listening to his talk at Steubenville. Very Interesting.

[/quote]

Glad you like it! I loved it too. He is a very good speaker.

Indeed, and absolutely wonderful news for Phoenix and the western provinces.
I met first met Adam personally through our mutual membership and attendance at a Church Music Association Chant Intensive Week in New Orleans. Adam was still amidst the preparation of his first masterwork, SIMPLE ENGLISH PROPERS, as we were in seminar with chant scholars such as Dr. Mahrt and Dr. Schaefer. It was heaven in NOLA!
I noticed one little biographical note that he somehow omitted from the welcoming announcement that he unwisely confided to this old greybeard DMusic: did you know at FSU he was once the lead guitarist for Matt Maher's Praise and Worship Band?!? :rolleyes:
But I can truly say that because of Adam's SEP, my choirs quite easily shift now from five lines & oval notes to four/square notes with equal fluency.
Now if I can get my sister in Mesa to drive to the cathedral for Sunday Mass!

I am a parishioner at Ss. Simon and Jude Cathedral in Phoenix. We are so blessed to have Adam Bartlett as Music Director! Our choir is phenomenal! I have heard an undercurrent of dissatisfaction from folks who judge liturgical music by how easy it is for the folks in the pews to sing to. I'm sure they will receive the proper catechesis. Come, Holy Spirit,...

I drive forty-five minutes from the East Valley to attend Mass at the Cathedral. I am not alone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.