Adam/Eve's food induced death parallel's life-giving Eucharist?

I had lunch today with a friend of mine who is Catholic, but goes to Protestant services to fellowship with his wife. He discussed some of their sermons where they try to diminish the physical reality of the Eucharist. In our discussions, we noticed an interesting parallel:

Adam and Eve consume the forbidden fruit (a physical experience) and die (spiritually) as a result.

We consume the Eucharist (a physical experience) and have life (spiritually) as a result.

I presume this is discussed at length somewhere. Can someone point me to some handy resources??

Thanks!!

Interesting concept!

The Bible would be a good place to start: Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man you have no life in you.:bigyikes:

Let me know what you turn up. It sounds like an interesting comparison to reflect on.

Glenda

Such “parallels” are also referred to as typology. Here’s the first one I came across by googling…
Adam ate the fruit from a tree, allowing death to enter the world. Jesus commands us to eat his flesh, the bread of life and the fruit of the cross, in order that we may have eternal life…You might enjoy reading some of the other parallels/types on that link (and also on this one. maryandtheeucharist.com/interestingbiblefacts.htm )

Any chance you could provide the link?? I would appreciate it greatly.

Sorry; I had meant to include it - and actually thought that I had. :o Go to the first segment (red print) titled “Adam and Jesus”.
maryandtheeucharist.com/biblicaltypology.htm

Here is another article you might find interesting.
blog.mycatholicfaithdelivered.com/2012/02/21/lenten-reflection-a-tale-of-two-gardens/

Wow, that’s impressive.

I do recall it being said that Christ was killed on a tree. And, we do get to eat of the fruit of that tree so that we will have life. The tie to the fall of Adam and Eve is much closer than I understood previously.

Thanks!

Makes you realize more and more how much of the Old Testament is about Christ.

Yes, the cross is the tree of life. Eating the fruit from the tree of life provides eternal life. Recall in Genesis what God says about the tree of life.

“And he said: Behold Adam is become as one of us, knowing good and evil: now, therefore, lest perhaps he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.” Genesis 3:22

:hmmm: There’s a lot of symbolism in the Bible and in our Faith.

I just started reading Augustine’s work, “Confessions.” In the first book, he ties Noah’s ark to this whole “tree” concept - calling the ark itself a tree. It was done in passing, so I find that curious as well. It wasn’t like he was sharing some new insight, he was just using the term as if everyone would understand it. This must have been a common understanding in the 4th century.

It seems like trees are critical elements in the critical moments of our salvation history.

We also have the door posts and lintel used for the salvation of the captive Jews in the Exodus.

And, the wood used to build the altar for the sacrifice of Abram’s son.

There appears to be significant depth involved with the tree in the central portion of the Garden of Eden.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.