Adam Lambert

Besides the fact that he is gay is he ok for a 16 year old to listin to?

I would pass on this guy. He is an in-your-face gay man and I have seen some of his videos that I would not want my 30 year old daughter to watch. He is somewhat talented, but it looks like he is selling that out for the sleaze factor. You should sit down and listen with your teenagers to some of the music they like; then you can discuss it with them and make the decision if it is appropriate for them to listen to or not and they will understand where you are coming from.

I disagree with Catholic1954. I think Lambert's songs are delightful. Great rock music with good themes. He's extremely talented, a real showman.

I don't think his gayness has become the primary focus of Lambert's career. If it does, then perhaps you can re-think buying his albums, but at the moment, he is not crusading for gay rights or flaunting his gayness publicly, as artists like Rosie O'Donnell or Ellen DeGeneres have done. For him, it's just there, but it's not his "mission." His mission is to sing and entertain, and he does that extremely well.

He is a singer first, a showman. He does something that very few rock music artists do--brings parents and kids together. Amazing. He's respectful of others and very close to his parents and family members. That's a good thinig for teenagers to know about and emulate. He's also a very hard worker, and teenagers definitely need to internalize that message! And he's open to criticism--he apologized on Oprah Winfrey for getting too full of himself and putting his co-performers in an awkward position when he did the scandalous "sex thing" on the musical awards show.

If you stop listening to any performer who is gay, you will avoid at least 50% of all professional performers, and that includes the Christian performers, too.

And if you stop listening to any performers who are caught up in some sin, you will avoid ALL professional performers, as well as almost everyone else (probably including yourself!)

You have to separate the person's personal life from the products that they sell. Rock Hudson was gay, and he did nice movies. There have been many gay singers, writers, artists, actors, etc. who have put out some wonderful art creations. Surely you don't think it's necessary to avoid all gay artists, do you?

*Rather than teaching your daughter to avoid gay artists, instead, teach her how to appreciate their artistic creations while at the same time, discerning that they are caught up in a sinful practice and that she should avoid validating or excusing their sin or heaven forbid, getting caught up in any sexual sin herself. *

Teach her to pray for the artists that she admires.

My older daughter is a professional stage manager, and from the time she was a young teenager, she has worked closely with gay artists in the theater. It is virtually impossible to work in the performing arts, even Christian arts, without working with gay people. This didn't destroy her faith or turn her into an advocate for gay marriage or other sinful practices. My daughter has been able to love her gay friends and show them the love of Jesus Christ. Often, she has been able to lovingly and tactfully challenge gay friends who criticize the Church and denounce those who disagree with them. In other words, she is salt to them; she is light in a very very dark world. Her gay friends trust her because she works alongside them and demonstrates real, action love for them.

Teach your daughter to be salt and light. And teach her to discern. It's very possible that Adam Lambert will one day switch his emphasis on decent teen/parent rock and move to some disgusting art form that isn't uplifting or wholesome. Teach her to make wise choices and to not enable sin to flourish.

I’d say his album could be worth a cop, but only if you download it via iTunes-that way, you don’t have to look at any of the overtly gay imagery.

Mind you, there are several gay men in the entertainment business, both living and dead, who aren’t/weren’t all “in-your-face” about it and whose work I admire greatly, such as Ian McKellen (Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Magneto in the X-Men trilogy), David Hyde-Pierce (Niles in Frasier, Derek Jacobi (the title role in the PBS Mystery’s Cadfael series), Roddy McDowall (several great roles, though I best remember him as the voice of the Mad Hatter in Batman: The Animated Series and as Brain’s nemesis Snowball the hamster in Pinky and the Brain), Cesar Romero (Latino film veteran), David Ogden Stiers (MASH* veteran, plus I LOVE his voice-acting work!)

My policy is “hate the sin, love the sinner” and pray for them!

I've downloaded his album and I really like it. The in-your-faceness turns me off a bit but I am able to seperate the two and enjoy his music. I also like artists who happen to be gay who are very well known (Elton John anyone? ;)) and I am able to look beyond the sexuality and enjoy their music and talent. :)

[quote="Cat, post:3, topic:193478"]
I disagree with Catholic1954. I think Lambert's songs are delightful. Great rock music with good themes. He's extremely talented, a real showman.

I don't think his gayness has become the primary focus of Lambert's career. If it does, then perhaps you can re-think buying his albums, but at the moment, he is not crusading for gay rights or flaunting his gayness publicly, as artists like Rosie O'Donnell or Ellen DeGeneres have done. For him, it's just there, but it's not his "mission." His mission is to sing and entertain, and he does that extremely well.

He is a singer first, a showman. He does something that very few rock music artists do--brings parents and kids together. Amazing. He's respectful of others and very close to his parents and family members. That's a good thinig for teenagers to know about and emulate. He's also a very hard worker, and teenagers definitely need to internalize that message! And he's open to criticism--he apologized on Oprah Winfrey for getting too full of himself and putting his co-performers in an awkward position when he did the scandalous "sex thing" on the musical awards show.

If you stop listening to any performer who is gay, you will avoid at least 50% of all professional performers, and that includes the Christian performers, too.

And if you stop listening to any performers who are caught up in some sin, you will avoid ALL professional performers, as well as almost everyone else (probably including yourself!)

You have to separate the person's personal life from the products that they sell. Rock Hudson was gay, and he did nice movies. There have been many gay singers, writers, artists, actors, etc. who have put out some wonderful art creations. Surely you don't think it's necessary to avoid all gay artists, do you?

*Rather than teaching your daughter to avoid gay artists, instead, teach her how to appreciate their artistic creations while at the same time, discerning that they are caught up in a sinful practice and that she should avoid validating or excusing their sin or heaven forbid, getting caught up in any sexual sin herself. *

My older daughter is a professional stage manager, and from the time she was a young teenager, she has worked closely with gay artists in the theater. It is virtually impossible to work in the performing arts, even Christian arts, without working with gay people. This didn't destroy her faith or turn her into an advocate for gay marriage or other sinful practices. My daughter has been able to love her gay friends and show them the love of Jesus Christ. Often, she has been able to lovingly and tactfully challenge gay friends who criticize the Church and denounce those who disagree with them. In other words, she is salt to them; she is light in a very very dark world. Her gay friends trust her because she works alongside them and demonstrates real, action love for them.

Teach your daughter to be salt and light. And teach her to discern. It's very possible that Adam Lambert will one day switch his emphasis on decent teen/parent rock and move to some disgusting art form that isn't uplifting or wholesome. Teach her to make wise choices and to not enable sin to flourish.

[/quote]

I wanted to add....great post Cat! :thumbsup:

[quote="emilyt67, post:1, topic:193478"]
Besides the fact that he is gay is he ok for a 16 year old to listin to?

[/quote]

If I excluded the works of homosexual men from who I listen to i would have missed out on all the great power and beauty of the works of my favorite composer-Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

[quote="estesbob, post:7, topic:193478"]
If I excluded the works of homosexual men from who I listen to i would have missed out on all the great power and beauty of the works of my favorite composer-Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

[/quote]

Lovely quote! :clapping:

[quote="Cat, post:3, topic:193478"]

[/quote]

If the "scandalous sex scene" wasn't flaunting his homosexuality in everyone's face, I don't know what is. That was definitely him flaunting and the only reason he's backed off from doing more of the same is because both ABC and NBC cancelled his scheduled performances for later that week.

I'll admit he's talented, but people that objected to his homosexual actions on stage taught him a hard lesson. Thank God there were enough of us that let ABC know we didn't approve of his "show".

I think most people over the age of 25 enjoy at least one Queen song, and Freddie Mercury wasn't 100% straight.

Lambert: he's got talent, but he sold out to sensationalism with some of his behavior. There's a lot of factors involved with that, such as media pressure, record labels, etc, but ultimately he made a choice to perform in that way.

yeah, i would pass too, homosexuals specially those who are not out of the closet yet tend to insert code language in their music, words that to us would be something innocent but to those that know what to listen to is like a beacon, the youth know all these secret code things, just think back when you where young and you heard the hip new words in music that had double meaning and your parents had no idea of what was being said, its the same today...

sad but true

:mad:

[quote="DChacon, post:11, topic:193478"]
yeah, i would pass too, homosexuals specially those who are not out of the closet yet tend to insert code language in their music, words that to us would be something innocent but to those that know what to listen to is like a beacon, the youth know all these secret code things, just think back when you where young and you heard the hip new words in music that had double meaning and your parents had no idea of what was being said, its the same today...

sad but true

:mad:

[/quote]

Secret code of the youth? I'm under 30 and I didn't know this! That must mean you're in on it, too! :hypno:

[quote="TurboVW, post:10, topic:193478"]
I think most people over the age of 25 enjoy at least one Queen song, and Freddie Mercury wasn't 100% straight.

Lambert: he's got talent, but he sold out to sensationalism with some of his behavior. There's a lot of factors involved with that, such as media pressure, record labels, etc, but ultimately he made a choice to perform in that way.

[/quote]

Turbo - you said my sentiments exactly.

I am over 25 and dont even know who queen is.

[quote="estesbob, post:14, topic:193478"]
I am over 25 and dont even know who queen is.

[/quote]

Are you joking, Bob? You know, "We Will Rock You"? "We Are the Champions"? "Bohemian Rhapsody"???

[quote="TurboVW, post:12, topic:193478"]
Secret code of the youth? I'm under 30 and I didn't know this! That must mean you're in on it, too! :hypno:

[/quote]

Same here. All that stuff went straight over my head as a lad. It is only in retrospect that I realized there were so many songs in the 80s that were about sex. :eek:

[quote="Joe_5859, post:16, topic:193478"]
Same here. All that stuff went straight over my head as a lad. It is only in retrospect that I realized there were so many songs in the 80s that were about sex. :eek:

[/quote]

Oh my. I was just being facetious before.

I always knew "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was never about spilling refined sugarcane......

[quote="TurboVW, post:17, topic:193478"]
Oh my. I was just being facetious before.

I always knew "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was never about spilling refined sugarcane......

[/quote]

:blush:

Call me sheltered, I suppose.

Of course, my parents never really sheltered me as I was watching MTV for hours a day when I was in 2nd grade. :hmmm:

I guess naive is the word. :o

LOL, I was a bit confused by the meaning of "Pour Some Sugar on Me." "Cherry Pie" was another one. :)

[quote="Joe_5859, post:15, topic:193478"]
Are you joking, Bob? You know, "We Will Rock You"? "We Are the Champions"? "Bohemian Rhapsody"???

[/quote]

Oh My! The "We will Rock You" was the theme song of the Houston Rockets back in their glory days. I know all three of these songs-had no idea who wrote them. I had never head of Abba either until I saw "Mama Mia" in Vegas a few years ago and realized I knew every song in they sang.

[quote="estesbob, post:19, topic:193478"]
Oh My! The "We will Rock You" was the theme song of the Houston Rockets back in their glory days. I know all three of these songs-had no idea who wrote them. I had never head of Abba either until I saw "Mama Mia" in Vegas a few years ago and realized I knew every song in they sang.

[/quote]

:p That's the way it goes sometimes. That's happened for me with a few bands, too. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.