Adam & suicide

I’m reading an old book that was translated from Spanish to English.
It is talking about something and in the paragraph seems to suggest that Adam committed suicide. However it is referring to Judas in same paragraph so I think it could be the translation is bad.

Did some in the 16th century believe Adam committed suicide? True, God told him if he hate the apple he would die but he no longer believed that because of what Eve told him. To commit suicide you have to actually intend suicide - not be deceived into it.

Anyone know about this belief that might have been around back then?

I agree that Adam’s intent was not to commit suicide. The book sounds a little strange.

Could the meaning be that through Original Sin Adam chose death?

Wow, very insightful! In that context it is a compelling argument!

Adam was 930 years old when he died.

This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. When Adam had lived a hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. The days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years; and he had other sons and daughters. Thus all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died. (Genesis 5:1,3-5)

He waited an awful long time to commit suicide. :shrug:

-Tim-

Not really that unusual, I’ve read often of elderly people committing suicide, unable to cope with life…what’s the difference in an 80 year old committing suicide in a time when the average life expectancy is 70+ years.:shrug:

Semitic writers used the age at which someone died to tell us something about their lives, their holiness, their friendship with God. The short story is no, Adam did not commit suicide. It doesn’t make sense according to the way Jewish writers wrote.

-Tim-

If you are reading an old book translated from Spanish it isn’t really old at all. It is old compared to you but compared to history, it is recent. No Adam did not commit suicide, he lived his life full and fully and with God’s blessing (be fruitful and multiply). He didn’t hate the apple, he ate the fruit of the tree that didn’t give him quite the result he expected. Suicide is a recent phenomena. I doubt your book and its authenticity.

I have never heard anything like that before and it sounds ludicrous to me.

Here is the exact quote below. Upon re-reading it, I realize what he meant - that Adam committed suicide by eating the apple as he lost his pure original nature by doing that.

He sealed our friendship with God through the kiss of false peace from Judas and was bound and taken prisoner to release Adam who had robbed and committed suicide. He let false, lying witnesses charge him so that later he would not admit those witnesses the devil surely would set against us who have offended him in so many ways. His holy countenance was spat upon to cleanse the face of the soul, which made blacker than charcoal by sin, and his precious face was covered so that the veil of ignorance would be drawn from the soul and its blindness revealed to us. He was brought before the judges so that we could appear without fear at the universal judgment. Silent, refusing to speak, he paid for Eve’s conversation with the serpent and in his divine person compensated for our evil excessive talk.

From Third Spiritual Alphabet, by Francisco De Osuna (Franciscan priest 1492 -1540) written in about 1520s

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.