Addicted to sloth and need to ask parents to stop being an enabler

I have a problem and I need your prayers.

I have been unemployed for about nine months now. My mother and step-father have been supporting me and I’ve gotten to where I’m no longer looking for a job. Not looking is so much easier. I feel like there’s no chance my mom is going to kick me out on the street because of my laziness. But I think she should.

They really need to lay down rules saying I have to look for a job and show them proof daily and if I don’t there will be consequences. Benjamin Franklin once said “I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it.” I’m finding it too easy to be poor. I feel like I’m addicted to sloth and my parents and the government are my enablers.

So please pray for me that I will ask my parents to put rules in place that will make it no longer easy to be poor and thus motivate me to look for a job.

Thank you.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.
:signofcross:

Why dont you start a thread asking for people to yell at you, call you names, and you can report back everyday on your progress in finding a job. :p…ok i’m kiddin, I will say a prayer for you. On a serious note could you be depressed?

I’m already on anti-depressants and I’m doing fine with the rest of my life it’s just that I suffer from a bit of social anxiety. I just need to be brave in socializing so as to network and in going into shops and restaurants to see if their hiring.

Healing and merciful Father, please bless Daniel with the actual and sustaining grace to avoid the sin of sloth. Grant him the virtues of courage and fortitude to cooperate with Your grace and be free of these tendencies. Mary, pray with us. Amen. :gopray2:

Daniel, it’s down to you, not to hope your parents will change their behaviour. You are responsible for the self God has given you and only you have choices over your own life and self. To mature you need to become self-motivating, which is difficult because you are used to expecting others to motivate you, or not. :slight_smile:

Jesus, in this light You have given Daniel, please help him to work towards taking his future into his own hands, with You at his side. What do You wish for and through him? Help him to move towards that. In the current economic dofficulties, please help him to seek and to gain employment that will give him a positive and fulfilling future.

Wishing you the best, Daniel. Keep in touch with us so that you are empowered by our continuing prayers.

hmmm that does sound hard. Here are my suggestions (sorry if they sound silly). Why dont you try working out in the morning, it gives you energy and ups your adrenaline. That extra energy and adrenaline will give you a little boost when facing difficult situations. Then take small steps getting out more. For example, take your mom out to dinner, walk around the mall, visit coffee shops. Keep trying to get out and visit more places every day. Eventually the idea of walking into a place of employment will seen a little less daunting.
By the way, if you struggle with social anxiety a restaurant might be a little too much, try something a little more low key. I will pray for you and think about this some more.

I actually go to mass every weekday morning. My mom thankfully gives me a ride on her way to work. I just tend to come strait home after words. I’m going to try staying out and doing some job hunting at least for a few hours before coming home this week.

As for my social anxiety I find its just in situations I don’t need to be in that it flairs up not when on the job. Thanks be to God.

Daniel from what you say, I think you’ll be fine. It takes effort to go to Mass each day even if you are given a lift by your Mom. As for the social anxiety, somehow I think you’ll manage that too with time.
God bless you. You sound like a great young man.

Sounds good. I’ll pray for you. Just a thought…have you ever considered the military. You cant be slothful there.

I’m going to use your post here as my personal encouragement to try to actually get into the door and **past the lobby area **of the catholic church this Sunday when I too, can get a ride there. If I can get there I will re-read your post here for encouragement to actually make it inside the doors. I certianly will need helpful thoughts to get myself to that point. And, you certainly are inspiring to get there Daniel. I so far have only made it to the lobby area. That’s as far as I have ventured inside.
Sorry if I am not allowed to post on prayer threads. I will keep you in my thoughts Daniel.

I, too, used to suffer from social anxiety and took anti-anxiety medications for a while. I’ve finally been able to get off them (in October), but it still is not easy asking for a job. It’s a BIG responsibility, but not one we should ever shirk. :wink:

I’ve been living with my parents, unemployed, for over 2 years. I finally finished a vocation program last year and I am looking for a job as a Certified Nursing Assistant (I got an interview this next Tuesday!). It’s so easy to believe that just because we have suitable housing and people are providing for us, that we don’t have to do anymore than that. I could have done WAY more stuff to help out.

Start looking for a job if you aren’t already. Also, in order to show your parents (and yourself) that you are being responsible, start taking up responsibilities for chores, unasked. While your parents are at work or out of the house, vacuum the floors, sweep, dust, mop, etc. And don’t seek recognition when they come home. Continue what you are doing. If they say thank you, offer it up to God as a resignation of your will. All of this will help you tremendously in the long run, not only in your home life, but also your spiritual life. :smiley:

For your intention:

*Lord, I come to offer You my will.
I live these years when it is being forged.
I want to offer it to You, so that You make it all Yours.
Save it from the diseases which threaten it.

By the grace of Your Spirit, make my will
strong, not afraid of obstacles,
persevering, not giving up because of stumbles,
aiming at horizons higher and wider than my immediate needs,
capable of making sacrifices to build a more vibrant future.

Give me a will which is strong but not obstinate,
willing to listen to voices of calm and experience, not presumptuous,
but conscious of my limitations, not arrogant,
choosing not to belittle those less fortunate than me,
not selfish, willing to assist those in need of help.

Help me to understand that it is in doing small things that a great will is forged,
in doing humble things that a noble will gets its wings,
in doing routine duties well that I prepare myself for heroic deeds.

Be at my side, Lord, to lift me up, and push me forward,
when the going gets rough, and I am bone*weary,
when I don’t want to get up after so many falls,
when I don’t feel like doing anything to get myself out of the dumps.

Help me say with You: "Not my will, Father, but Yours be done!"
Help me conquer myself, before I am to conquer the world, and
to be master of myself, before I am to lead others.

Amen.

I, too, used to suffer from social anxiety and took anti-anxiety medications for a while. I’ve finally been able to get off them (in October), but it still is not easy asking for a job. It’s a BIG responsibility, but not one we should ever shirk. :wink:

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.