Addiction, relapse, and 1 Cor. 6:9-10

A friend of mine who was struggling with addiction, and planned to move in with me (in a separate bedroom) where she wouldn’t have to be around drugs, relapsed this weekend.

I stopped in to see her after church.

Two boarders were sitting outside, and the owner of the house was sitting on a coach by the TV.

And my friend was face down on the other coach.

When I tried to wake her, and I told the home owner she was unresponsive, he said she was talking a half our earlier.

I called 911, and the emt’s came, but neither they or I could revive her.

Her sister said she was really excited about moving out of state, and starting a whole new life, and I believe she wanted that

I’ve been thinking of 1 Cor. 6:9-10.

Paul said “have ye not known that the unrighteous the reign of God shall not inherit? be not led astray; neither whoremongers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, the reign of God shall inherit.”

But what does that mean?

If you’re struggling with addiction to drugs or alcohol, and you die during a relapse, is your soul lost?

No, I don’t believe that. Addiction takes away your free will. She was not fully responsible for her actions. And being responsible for your actions is a requirement for sin to be mortal.

I was actually just reflecting on this passage. The point is this:

If you stop fornicating, you are not a fornicator.

If you stop comitting sodomy, you are not a sodomite.

If you stop drinking, you are not a drunk.

Hence, if your someone stops taking drugs, he is not a drug addict.

By extension, if you repent, you can inherit the Kingdom. There are many passages about this.

If you keep in sin until death on the other hand, you cannot be saved.

Only a few are saved, and we cannot enter heaven with mortal sin on our souls, except by a miracle. However, if your friend’s culpability was diminished by a physical addiction, she may still be saved. God’s mercy is infinite, and you should not despair at the possibility of his salvation. The bottom line is, we cannot, and should not, know. That is the way of the world. That is the way of God. You will yet know one day, as will all humanity.

The simple answer is that we can’t know.

Addiction does things to the brain. It changes how the brain works and makes it difficult to make the correct choice, even if you want to. We can’t say that it excuses all culpability, but we also can’t say that this woman had the capacity to actually make the decision that lead her to take drugs again. A prerequisite for mortal sin is the willful intention to engage in a sinful act. We can’t know if that intention existed in the mind of your friend, due to her addiction.

All we can do is pray for her, do penance, and make acts of reparation for her soul. If they will not help her, God will put them to use for some other soul, probably one who suffers as your friend did.

I am sorry for your loss.

Pray for her. Pray that God will be merciful toward her. Drug addiction is an illness. She may not have been fully in control of her actions at the time.

I’m sorry for your loss.

We trust God’s mercy and pray for her soul.

I am sorry for your loss. Entrust her and all the souls of the departed to God. All we can do is pray for them. I will include her in my rosary today.

God’s mercy is indeed infinite, and nothing is impossible with God. We can have our individual opinions and use scripture to guide these opinions, but it is ultimately not our job to judge. Thankfully, judgement is left to He who has infinite grace and mercy. You do have the power to pray for the soul of your friend, and God listens. May God bless you and keep you.

Indeed, We should always have hope for others’ salvation.

Thank you littleburgy.

And thank you too jheroid63 (and all the rest of you.)

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.