Addicts turning to anti-diarrhea medicine

WHAM (Rochester, NY):

Addicts turning to anti-diarrhea medicine

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHAM) - Imodium could soon be harder to find at some pharmacies.A new study posted in the Annals of Emergency Medicine shows anti-diarrhea medicine, like Imodium, is being abused by drug addicts, and has led to at least two deaths.
The study shows that between 2011 and 2015, the Upstate New York Poison Control Center, which covers all of Upstate New York, saw a seven-fold increase in calls for people abusing Loperamide. That’s the main ingredient in Imodium, and it is also an opioid.

The scenario of abusing over-the-counter medications is one Lisa, whose son is battling a heroin addiction, is far too familiar with.
“It’s a monster, it’s very powerful,” said Lisa. “He used a lot of cough medicine, Sudafed, Robitussin, over-the-counter stuff.”
The results of the study surprised one local pharmacy. The Livonia Lakeview Pharmacy pulled its anti-diarrhea medication off the shelf.

So pretty soon nothing is going to be available over the counter because someone somewhere will figure out how to abuse everything from vitamins to baby aspirins.

During my days of addiction, I remember hearing if you took enough Loparmide,(not sure on spelling), its the active ingredient in many anti-diarrhea meds, it would give a similar effect of an opiate, as chemically it is close to an opiate, and in fact when they first discovered it, they originally thought they had created the next best painkiller, but it didnt pan out. It does not cross the blood/ brain barrier, no matter how many you take, so no need to restrict its sales.

You could take 50 of them and only end up with rock hard stool, nothing more, nothing less.

Although your concerns are quite pertinent, I wouldn’t go that far.

The issue with many of these over the counter medications that are being abused is that a key element tends to be some sort of opioid which helps modulate synaptic transmission and inhibit the release of things like

Acetylcholine
Norepinephrine
Serotonin
Glutamate
Substance P

But they were always in such small quantities that it would be foolish for any addict to try and “get high” off of them…

And yet… here we are. With the desperate trying to consume as much as possible, and the desperate-but-well-educated capable of taking those over the counter medications and with the appropriate equipment - being able to purify and synthesize the opioid in question…

I knew it! I have an IBD condition. A few years ago many on a Crohns Colitis board I frequent were complaining that Imodium was hard to find. In many stores it had disappeared. I remember joking that someone must have figured out how to make a drug from it.

For overcoming drug and alcohol addiction with acupuncture, I shared this article with an aunt today. She isn’t a drug addict though, just Catholic and Scottish.

MEET THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL MISSIONARY
77-year-old Scot helped Clapton, Moon, Richards, other music stars

wnd.com/1999/08/3778/#!

excerpt from the article:

When you first meet 77-year-old Dr. Meg Patterson, you may not
believe that she has been involved in shaping rock history by saving the
lives of several of rock’s jet-set junkies. This diminutive Scottish
surgeon with a sweet Scottish burr, became at 21, the youngest woman to
qualify as a doctor at
Scotland’s Aberdeen University and in 1948 went as a medical missionary
to India. She has helped rescue drug abusers Eric Clapton, Keith Moon,
Rolling Stones bad boy Keith Richards and The Who’s Peter Townsend, who
frankly admits, “If I hadn’t gone to Meg, I’d be dead.”…
Read more at wnd.com/1999/08/3778/#7VwRlQiYRVD9TTor.99

I didn’t think it crossed the blood brain barrier so it would be useless (I think it attaches to opioid receptors in the intestines). The World Health Organization considers it an essential medicine so it would have to be available. Perhaps they’ll treat it like Sudafed.

I have IBS issues and personally, Imodium is too strong for me. If I take it I’m going to be bound up for a couple days and sometimes has a terrible rebound effect. Pepto is a life saver though.

Perhaps if it’s taken nasally, it can cross the blood/brain barrier?

Hmm, I don’t know enough about how it works. I think you’d have to be nuts to snort things that weren’t meant to be snorted but that doesn’t stop people from doing it anyway. The story is short on details but maybe that’s how people are dying from it? I read that there is evidence of addiction in tests on rats and there was some nervous system depression so some may get through in high doses?

There is a legal herb/drug that helps alleviates opioid withdrawal. It gets you high and has the potential to be addictive but it can’t kill you. (Kratom)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.