Address labels from charities

Is it a sin to use address labels from charities if you don't send them a donation? It surely wouldn't be a mortal sin but maybe a venial sin? Or no sin at all?

It is not a sin in any way. You did not ask for the labels and then refuse to pay. The charity sent the labels as part of their solicitation. They considered the cost of them when they mailed them. I never donate to organizations that randomly call or mail solicitations. Often you'll find they don't use their donation funds well -that is a large percentage goes to overhead/admin (to pay for the labels ect.) and a smaller percentage goes to their cause.

I will use some labels - especially pretty ones - without donating. Others I simply throw way (usually when I'm ready to throw away something really nasty because I don't want my address grabbed out of the trash, but you can't shred the sticky labels).

I feel the same way about other types of trinkets that charities send. I find the plastic rosary beads and similar things particularly annoying. If I think about it, I'll ask the CCD program if they want them for prizes. Otherwise I just throw them away.

I only donate to causes that I've researched and support specifically.

[quote="Veronica97, post:1, topic:321189"]
Is it a sin to use address labels from charities if you don't send them a donation? It surely wouldn't be a mortal sin but maybe a venial sin? Or no sin at all?

[/quote]

Not a sin and legel to use them with out a donation. :)

I don't feel guilty using the labels whether I send a donation or not. Printing them is probably pretty inexpensive advertising for the organizations. My elderly friends sometimes have difficulty not feeling guilty for not sending a donation to every missionary group that they get on the mailing list for, though - which then leads to getting on even more mailing lists! :rolleyes:

So I kind of wish for the sake of these dear folks living on fixed incomes that the missionaries would not use that tactic as it amounts to a guilt trip sometimes . . . Even so, some elderly are so generous or have such a sense of obligation they'd probably donate even if it was just a plain letter with an envelope. They also will listen through a phone call and one I know I keep telling her to just hang up - there have been phone solicitors who've been downright rude to her. And though I try to explain that if she wants to give she doesn't have to give the specific amount they demand, she can give less, and I've gone through the whole spiel about how most of the phone callers are telemarketers and the charity doesn't really get much, she is still bothered by it all and feels rather helpless.

As far as rosaries and religious items, rather than throwing them away, put them in a box and when you get a bunch, send them to the troops stationed overseas. :newidea: They are often in need of religious items for the Catholic servicemen and women.

No because it is a gift.

Anything you receive may be regarded as a gift.

Rosaries, medals, etc I give to the Religious Education Office at the Church. They use them as prizes in their classes. Also, they need pictures etc for cut-and-paste projects.

I also collect the never-fail novenas, expired flyers, etc that are on one side of 8 1/2 x 11 paper for them to use for scrap.

Cleaning a closet the other day I came up with 3 or 4 dozen ties that they could braid together foran art project.

Thank you, everyone. I guess I just felt guilty for not donating to the charities.

[quote="Veronica97, post:7, topic:321189"]
Thank you, everyone. I guess I just felt guilty for not donating to the charities.

[/quote]

I agree with the other posters that you are not under any obligation.

Just a suggestion, but you could toss their information into a box or large envelope along with whatever other charitable solicitations come your way, and then once or twice a year, go through them all and decide on one to make a donation to, and then recycle what's left.

I like this method because it alleviates some guilt while still keeping me on budget and allowing me a chance to look at my options and think about them before giving from my limited resources.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.