"Adopted daughter of military family will have to leave the country, court rules"

The Military Times News reports that the adopted daughter of a U.S. war veteran must be deported as soon as she finishes college.

They missed the last deadline because Dad (the war veteran) was serving in Afghanistan at the time.

(If there were early deadlines they could have filed and didn’t, the article does not go into detail.)

“If the family loses its appeal, all of them will move to Korea” with their daughter, the article says.

There’s a reason why citizenship-by-adoption is limited to children under 16.

She grew up in South Korea, nothing wrong with her going back there.

No need to make it political or ideological. The family is handling it well. They have filed for an appeal, as is their right. They have a good backup plan, moving the whole family to Korea. If it comes to that, I assume the daughter can go through the regular process to immigrate and eventually obtain US citizenship, if she wishes.

What does that have to do with anything?

This is absolute nonsense. She is now the daughter of American citizens. She should be automatically granted citizenship, regardless of age or at least a green card.

First, this an obviously legit case of a real couple adopting a daughter where the situation got messed up. It isn’t some scam. The idea that she has to go back to Korea is absurd. These are her parents, this is her new home. Full stop.

The age of majority is 18 anyway. A person is still considered a minor until then. Why not here?

Federal law sets the age at 16.

I don’t care. The Feds need to fix this situation. This is red tape nonsense that shouldn’t force a family to have to move to a different country.

An interesting question.

Ha! I see the post I replied to is no longer there, so my post now looks dumb. :roll_eyes:

There’s nothing to be fixed. She has no right to be here, and is simply returning to her native country.

You are looking at the letter of the law. Others are trying to discern the spirit of the law. The article is short on details such as the age of the child when she was taken into the couple’s home (the human act of adoption) and her age when the adoption was legally completed (the letter of the law), so I can’t pretend to pass judgement and am happy to leave it in the hands of the appeals court. Maybe they will see something to be fixed.

Adopting a child is a lot harder than just “filling out some paperwork.”

This begs the question, which was “should she have a right to be here?”

If I were Lt. Col. Schreiber, I would feel very betrayed by the country I served.

Adopting an adult literally is just filling out some paperwork. That comment was in response to another poster, who suggested that anyone adopted by a U.S. citizen should receive automatic citizenship, regardless of age.

No. Why should she?

Because she has lived most of her life with her adopted American parents here in the United States. The reason they couldn’t officialize her citizenship status is because her father was on deployment.

It amazes me how many people seem to have an irrational fear of foreign-born people. Or at least they want to make the process as complicated as possible for them.

I have no idea where you got the idea that she spent most of her life here. She was 16 when her parents adopted her, so unless they’re just flagrantly incompetent (which I doubt), she’s spent the great majority of her life in South Korea.

N.B. There’s literally no barrier to a married man who is on deployment adopting a child, particularly if (as is almost certainly the case) it was a private adoption.

Whoops, you’re right. I misread the dates in the article.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.