Adoption of modern trends in religion.

In my opinion, Catholic as a religion adopt to changes to the trends sooner.
[LIST]
*]Pope, Bishops and Priests - all have accounts in the social media to interact with the followers.
*]Most of the parishes have websites for interaction.
*]Releasing audio and videos.
*]Running a TV channels
[/LIST]
But having said that, it does not move even a bit away from the teachings of Christ.

What is your opinion?

It depends on what we mean by “modern trends.” I think your suggestions are generally good, although I can see a bishop forbidding Twitter or Facebook for his priests.

Modern trends I meant is the media presence & youth adoption.

Not really sure how you arrive at this conclusion. Pretty much any religious leader who wants to be “relevant” has some sort of social media account. I have Protestant pastors as facebook friends that are always leaving scripture-informed status updates or details about such and such revival or evangelistic conference they just got back from. Also, most churches have websites by now. And sorry but when it comes to television, the Protestant televangelists have Catholic programming beat.

So, altogether, I’m not really seeing how you’ve arrived at the conclusion that Catholics embrace “modern trends” faster given the criteria that you yourself have pointed out. They seem to adapt to them no sooner than any other religious group has.

I have no opinion I guess. Catholic church hierarchy–Popes, bishops, priests etc—have always used whatever technology was available at the time to reach members, answer questions and to catechize and hopefully bring about conversions. The Pope having a twitter account may seem odd—but really it’s probably only because the technology is fairly recent and a lot of us “old goats” can’t even figure it out! I wonder if I wrote Pope Francis a letter asking him to help me learn to tweet if he’d call me back? LOL!

I guess if your a missionary religion where your trying to reach people then sure i guess, but honestly i dont see how your religion having a facebook should realy matter.

The medium is not the message.

What matters is what they’re teaching, not what means they use to get that teaching across. If the use of modern and social media helps get that message out to a wider audience and to make it more readily understood, then more power to them.

Itwin,

You are correct, Protestant televangelist have Catholic programing beat, but it is not the quantity of programs it is the Quality of a program that has the Protestants beat. Amen

Each of the televangelist are their own pope with their own infallibility each station you turn to they have different interpretations of Scripture “chaos” there goes the quantity out the door.

Ufam Tobie

I don’t watch them, so I was not aware that some televangelists had claimed infallibility for themselves. :eek: Since you apparently watch them and therefore know, which televangelist has claimed this? :wink:

Jon

I have never heard any of them claim infallibility. And I listen to them a lot, they have good things to say about the Gospels

Explicitly? No. They are more nuanced than that.

Implicitly? Yeah, Jon…every Bible Christian I ever met was convinced that he or she was led directly by the Holy Spirit into all truth and that only his or her little band of believers really understood what God is saying to and doing in the world today.

Maybe you don’t see it in the Lutheran church, but you have seen it in this forum…just before the poster is banned.

:smiley: You’re right, I have seen that.

But I’m not sure the tv types would tread that far.

Jon

I don’t know what you’re looking for specifically, I see alot of these done already.

The pope has a twitter, the diocese in which I live in has facebook, twitter, youtube channels, and instragram feeds. And a few parishes around here have social media ministries.

There have always been catholic radio stations, and TV networks (EWTN), and a large number of Catholic podcasts. I happen to really like Catholic Stuff You Should Know.

Even Roku has like 2-3 Catholic releated channels in their lineup. Of course it pales to the hundreds of Protestant channels where seems like every Evangelical minister from the South has their own channel. It’s actually kind of obnoxious that it practically drowns out any other channels of any other faith besides theirs, and they take up a significant chunk of Roku’s total Channel lineups.

But how could Catholics expand on that? I’m not sure, when you have one liturgy and one consistent messages all over the world, it doesn’t leave much for diversity especially in the greater scheme of the general Christian tapestry.

I think it is good to reach out to the world through various means using the technology at hand. God only knows where we will be 50 years from now.

There is no doubt in my mind, however, that technology will never replace the need to live out our Christian lives; to make a difference in our world through our contact with every human being on a personal level. This is what authentically attracts people to the truth; when they see it lived. It is almost overwhelming sometimes to realize the importance of the witness of our lives to those who are seeking truth, and how we fail it at sometimes.

In our youth ministry we have a saying. “If they come seeking Christ and only find us, how disappointed will they be?”

So while technology is useful to inform and even to invite people to the truth, the proof is always in the pudding. And while the truth of the Church is not dependent upon the behavior of the faithful, the way we live out our faith will either help build or tear down the faith of those around us.

Alright, I’m done preaching now. :smiley:

Hello Van Sensei,

RE: infallibility, It was just a figure of speech, Protestant pastor / televangelist don’t have infallibility period! They have their own interpretation of the gospels that they preach. The have their own interpretations because they want to go against the Catholic Church which is the only Church that can interpret Scripture.

Ufam Tobie

JonNC,

First of all, re: infallibility, I said that as a figure of speech, they don’t have infallibility period, but they think they do.

Here is why they think they have infallibility and It does not take one to be a brain scientist, to know that any man made church or televangelist claims to have some sort of infallibility even Lutherans:eek: Who’s the one that took out 7 books out from the bible? To take out 7 books from the bible, to do so Martin Luther was claiming infallibility to some degree, am I not correct in saying so?

This goes for every non-catholic Christians who interpret the bible their way, or it’s the high way, to do so they claim to have some sort of infallibility, am I not correct in saying so.

JonNC, would you today take out books from the bible? I believe not, because you don’t have the infallibility to do so, neither did Martin Luther.:eek:

Yes, at times briefly, I watch televangelist, but not like you think I watch them, it is to pray for them, to come Home, Like I have been telling you for quite some Time to come HOME, Lutheranism is not your home.

The Catholic Church is HOME for every Christian.

Ufam Tobie:)

=ufamtobie;11223101]]JonNC,

First of all, re: infallibility, I said that as a figure of speech, they don’t have infallibility period, but they think they do.

Does Rome use it as a figure of speech? If so, perhaps there iseven greater hope for unity between us. :wink:

Here is why they think they have infallibility and It does not take one to be a brain scientist, to know that any man made church or televangelist claims to have some sort of infallibility even Lutherans:eek: Who’s the one that took out 7 books out from the bible? To take out 7 books from the bible, to do so Martin Luther was claiming infallibility to some degree, am I not correct in saying so?

Yes, you are not correct in saying so. Luther removed no books from his translation, but actually added one, the Prayer of Manasseh. He also was quite clear that he was expressing his opinion regarding the canon, which all Catholics before Trent were permitted to do. Luther never claimed infallibility by expressing his opinion.

This goes for every non-catholic Christians who interpret the bible their way, or it’s the high way, to do so they claim to have some sort of infallibility, am I not correct in saying so.

Yes, you are not correct in saying so, at least when you use the term “every non-Catholic Christian”. Lutherans, for example are clear that we do not consider our Confessions as “infallible”, only that they are correct.

JonNC, would you today take out books from the bible? I believe not, because you don’t have the infallibility to do so, neither did Martin Luther.:eek:

Correct, and neither he nor I have taken books out of the Bible.

Yes, at times briefly, I watch televangelist, but not like you think I watch them, it is to pray for them, to come Home, Like I have been telling you for quite some Time to come HOME, Lutheranism is not your home.

I join your prayers for them…

The Catholic Church is HOME for every Christian.

…and I pray for the day that this is true.

Jon

The RC is a bit behind the Protestants in terms of the Media-although as I reflect on this it really relates to who your audience is-

When I view EWTN the sets & shows appear amateurish compared to the 700 Club or PTL (was)-I suspect they are appealing to different groups:cool:

Arroyo does do a good job on “THe World Over”:cool:

I do not agree with the statement. We do not have strong presence in terms of Social or conventional media. If we talk any Catholic TV, program formats, colors, etc… are poor and do not reflect our Church.

Cmodrmac,

Vanity, vanity, vanity, lol I see you care about how the set appears. The set does not matter, it is the true teachings of the Catholic Church that matters.

Ufam Tobie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.