Adoptions by Homosexuals: Do You Approve?

True Confession:

I disapprove and I know of what I speak for I am a surviving adult daughter of a mother who was seduced into homosexuality, may God Rest Her Troubled Soul.

I do not consider myself a bigot. I shouldered Mom’s burdens until she died, like a good Catholic should. I never rejected, insulted, or yelled at her. I miss her like heck. That does not mean that I approved of her lifestyle. That does not mean that I was comfortable and secure growing up. And I have a big hole in my heart because I don’t have a father.

Please refrain from giving me “hypothetical anecdotes” like, “Don’t you think your Mom would have been more stable if Society accepted her?” My answer: NO, because she hated men! I taught myself how to love and admire men. She didn’t like “straight” people, so in high school, I didn’t have my friends over much.

In 1959, I was nine years old and we were living in New York, the United Nations made a proclamation favoring children’s rights. I was very comforted then that the World governments were so concerned about the well being of children. I remember that very vividly.

In case you haven’t heard, the Catholic Church is the last barrier to the legalization of same-sex “marriage” in the World. A member of the United Nations, the Church, known as the Holy See in diplomatic relations, has successfully blocked anti-family initiatives by radical left-wing lobbying groups – like Catholics For A Free Choice, a dissident “Catholic” organization in Washington, D.C., the International Planned Parenthood Federation, and the National Abortion Federation. The groups that have attacked the Holy See number up to 400. They mostly criticize the presence of any religion at the U.N. “The true ground of their animus, however, is the Holy See’s steadfast defense of the sanctity of human life and the inviolable dignity of the family.” In response to these attacks, the Member States are grateful for the “moral witness of the Holy See at the United Nations” and fully support the presence of the Holy See. (Declaration in Support of the Holy See at the United Nations. Holy See Campaign of the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, Washington, D.C.)

The attack on marriage is worldwide and not going away.

Declaration of the Rights of the Child
Proclaimed by General Assembly Resolution 1386(XIV) of 20 November 1959

Whereas the peoples of the United Nations have, in the Charter, reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights and in the dignity and worth of the human person, and have determined to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

Whereas the United Nations has, in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, proclaimed that everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth therein, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status,

Whereas the child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth,

Whereas the need for such special safeguards has been stated in the Geneva Declaration of the Rights of the Child of 1924, and recognized in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in the statutes of specialized agencies and international organizations concerned with the welfare of children,

Whereas mankind owes to the child the best it has to give,

Now therefore,

The General Assembly

Proclaims this Declaration of the Rights of the Child to the end that he may have a happy childhood and enjoy for his own good and for the good of society the rights and freedoms herein set forth, and calls upon parents, upon men and women as individuals, and upon voluntary organizations, local authorities and national Governments to recognize these rights and strive for their observance by legislative and other measures progressively taken in accordance with the following principles:

PLEASE GO TO MY NEXT POST IN THIS THREAD<<<<

source url: unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/25.htm

Continued from Dolores49’s Post #1 in this Thread . . .

Declaration of the Rights of the Child
Proclaimed by General Assembly Resolution 1386(XIV) of 20 November 1959

Whereas mankind owes to the child the best it has to give,

Now therefore,

The General Assembly

Proclaims this Declaration of the Rights of the Child to the end that he may have a happy childhood and enjoy for his own good and for the good of society the rights and freedoms herein set forth, and calls upon parents, upon men and women as individuals, and upon voluntary organizations, local authorities and national Governments to recognize these rights and strive for their observance by legislative and other measures progressively taken in accordance with the following principles:

Principle 1

The child shall enjoy all the rights set forth in this Declaration. Every child, without any exception whatsoever, shall be entitled to these rights, without distinction or discrimination on account of race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status, whether of himself or of his family.

Principle 2

The child shall enjoy special protection, and shall be given opportunities and facilities, by law and by other means, to enable him to develop physically, mentally, morally, spiritually and socially in a healthy and normal manner and in conditions of freedom and dignity. In the enactment of laws for this purpose, the best interests of the child shall be the paramount consideration.

Principle 3

The child shall be entitled from his birth to a name and a nationality.

Principle 4

The child shall enjoy the benefits of social security. He shall be entitled to grow and develop in health; to this end, special care and protection shall be provided both to him and to his mother, including adequate pre-natal and post-natal care. The child shall have the right to adequate nutrition, housing, recreation and medical services.

Principle 5

The child who is physically, mentally or socially handicapped shall be given the special treatment, education and care required by his particular condition.

Principle 6

The child, for the full and harmonious development of his personality, needs love and understanding. He shall, wherever possible, grow up in the care and under the responsibility of his parents, and, in any case, in an atmosphere of affection and of moral and material security; a child of tender years shall not, save in exceptional circumstances, be separated from his mother. Society and the public authorities shall have the duty to extend particular care to children without a family and to those without adequate means of support. Payment of State and other assistance towards the maintenance of children of large families is desirable.

Principle 7

The child is entitled to receive education, which shall be free and compulsory, at least in the elementary stages. He shall be given an education which will promote his general culture and enable him, on a basis of equal opportunity, to develop his abilities, his individual judgement, and his sense of moral and social responsibility, and to become a useful member of society.

The best interests of the child shall be the guiding principle of those responsible for his education and guidance; that responsibility lies in the first place with his parents.

The child shall have full opportunity for play and recreation, which should be directed to the same purposes as education; society and the public authorities shall endeavour to promote the enjoyment of this right.

Principle 8

The child shall in all circumstances be among the first to receive protection and relief.

Principle 9

The child shall be protected against all forms of neglect, cruelty and exploitation. He shall not be the subject of traffic, in any form.

The child shall not be admitted to employment before an appropriate minimum age; he shall in no case be caused or permitted to engage in any occupation or employment which would prejudice his health or education, or interfere with his physical, mental or moral development.

Principle 10

The child shall be protected from practices which may foster racial, religious and any other form of discrimination. He shall be brought up in a spirit of understanding, tolerance, friendship among peoples, peace and universal brotherhood, and in full consciousness that his energy and talents should be devoted to the service of his fellow men.

source url: unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/25.htm

The only country that did not sign this Proclamation was the United States.

Dolores,

Thank you for posting this I had never read it before now. My heart goes out to you. We need to hear more stories from people like you to get people to rethink whether or not homosexuals should be adopting children.

Dolores did you write all that or was some of it pasted from somewhere else?

This is absolutely THE thing that gets my hackles up with respect to the homosexual agenda. There absolutely NO DOUBT that the best place for a child is with a mother and father in a stable married relationship. PERIOD. We have seen the utter havoc created by the explosion in single mothers and absent fathers. Homosexual adoptions by definition subject a child to no mother or no father. Two mommies or two daddies do no make up for the lack of influence of both sexes.

Further the children that are often available for adoption are fragile children who’ve suffered neglect or abuse. Add to that confusion about sexuality, sex roles, male/female interaction and I think it’s a recipe for some very disturbed young people.

Sadly with respect to males adoping males, there have been several stories in our newspapers about these boys being used for sexual pleasure. I realize this is anecdotal but it seems particularly egregious to put a fragile child into a kind of relationship that is known to be unstable. I am less concerned about sexual abuse by female homosexuals because most abusers are male. But again this subjects the child to a life without a father and is deterimental to both boys and girls.

BTW your story is much like a co-worker raised by a very militant, hateful “lesbian.” She will not let her adorable daughter NEAR her mother for fear of this hateful woman imparting that attitude on her grandchild.

Lisa N

No ! From what I’ve seen it is an attempt to use a child to justify their life style and promote their agenda. I would call it a form of child abuse.

Please actually think about what you are saying. None of us have the right to deny the happiness of other people based on our own believes. A man and a woman is overrated, only spoiled people who are lucky to have both parents will say that. You people should really really check out what an orphanage looks like in downtown LA.

No. It is not only the fact that these kids are denied either a mother or a father (after all, if never adopted they would have neither), but the harm that comes from placing the child in a dysfuncional, immoral environment. It would be better to have them adopted by a single parent.

[quote=ja3712]Please actually think about what you are saying. None of us have the right to deny the happiness of other people based on our own believes. A man and a woman is overrated, only spoiled people who are lucky to have both parents will say that. You people should really really check out what an orphanage looks like in downtown LA.
[/quote]

But if that happiness causes serious harm to someone else, than the right to prevent that hapiness does exist.

I think if you had to choose between a loving homosexual couple and a loving heterosexual couple I would choose the latter. Even though I think the child would be loved and treated equally in both families…they would have to deal with less teasing etc. But kids are teased for all sorts of reasons and if homosexuality was more accepted it might not make a huge difference. But if a child is the only one with gay parents around some kids are bound to be mean to them and it would be very traumatic. However, I dont doubt the love gay people have for their kids and I dont think its fair to ban them from adopting considering there are kids who have way worse parents than those who are gay. I mean…kids have parents who are drug addicts and all sorts of things that are worse than being gay. One good thing about gay people adopting is that many gay people adopt special needs children that would otherwise not find homes and I think thats great.

Siamese cat -
yes, kids have drug addicts for parents - but no agency would allow known drug addicts to adopt!

[quote=caroljm36]Dolores did you write all that or was some of it pasted from somewhere else?
[/quote]

To Caroljm36

I composed my “True Confessions,” including the overview about the Holy See at the U.N. – that last part I took from an article I wrote for “The Domestic Church.” www.domesticchurch.us

I cut and pasted the actual United Nations Declaration (see the Link in my posts).

More courageous adult children need to be heard. The existing studies have been very small - only 25 to 30 children - and from young children to young adults. I could not speak about my experience to anyone while Mom was alive. Interviewing children and adolescents is irresponsible.

Want to read more of my views? Visit my web pages groups.msn.com/WhereIsTheOutrage

[quote=BlindSheep]Siamese cat -
yes, kids have drug addicts for parents - but no agency would allow known drug addicts to adopt!
[/quote]

I think he means if we should take away children from parent who do drugs.

[quote=ja3712]Please actually think about what you are saying. None of us have the right to deny the happiness of other people based on our own believes. A man and a woman is overrated, only spoiled people who are lucky to have both parents will say that. You people should really really check out what an orphanage looks like in downtown LA.
[/quote]

ja3712 listen to what YOU are saying. Do you really think someone’s “happiness” is the most important objective or do you think having a child raised by the best, most stable, loving two parent home is the greater good? Further if someone’s ‘happiness’ means someone else’s sacrifice, yes it IS right to deny that ‘happiness.’

As one person said, sometimes homosexuals adopt kids because it’s “the next thing.” There was quite a well known column by a homosexual activist who talked about he’d done the bar thing, the sports thing, the career thing and the next was the “kid” thing. I am not denying that homosexuals are capable of loving children, but the lifestyle of many of them is unstable, pleasure oriented, and by definition denies these children either a mother or a father. Do you really think the ‘happiness’ of an adult is worth more than having children raised by stable two parent, male female married couples?

Lisa N

[quote=siamesecat]I think if you had to choose between a loving homosexual couple and a loving heterosexual couple I would choose the latter. Even though I think the child would be loved and treated equally in both families…they would have to deal with less teasing etc. But kids are teased for all sorts of reasons and if homosexuality was more accepted it might not make a huge difference. But if a child is the only one with gay parents around some kids are bound to be mean to them and it would be very traumatic…
[/quote]

Honestly teasing is the least of their problems. Don’t you think it’s hard for a child raised by two males or two females to REALLY understand and learn about male/female roles and interactions? We have seen so many ill effects of children raised without fathers. Something like 80% of men who are in the criminal justice system did not have fathers. Why would we subject children to not having a mommy or a daddy? I think it’s cruel to do this deliberately. It’s bad enough we have so many single parents through divorce, death, and abandonment. To deliberately choose a home without a dad makes no sense to me at all.

[quote=siamesecat]I However, I dont doubt the love gay people have for their kids and I dont think its fair to ban them from adopting considering there are kids who have way worse parents than those who are gay. I mean…kids have parents who are drug addicts and all sorts of things that are worse than being gay. One good thing about gay people adopting is that many gay people adopt special needs children that would otherwise not find homes and I think thats great.
[/quote]

If parents are reported for abuse and neglect the children are removed from the home by state law. While you are probably right that not all are reported, the reality is that very irresponsible or abusive parents lose their kids. Further no one deliberately places a child in a drug house.

As to the theory that homosexuals adopt special needs children, do you have any statistics on this or is this something the homosexual lobby is trying to advance? Just curious as I’ve never heard this other than an anecdote regarding to male nurses who were adopting AIDS affected babies. I don’t think it’s that common

Lisa N

JMJ

I voted "Disapprove"

I can’t believe there are people out there who would vote otherwise. I wish you had the choice - Strongly Disapprove, I would have pick that one.

I’m not a sociologist. I’m not a psychologist. I’m not an expert on what sort of environment is harmful for children. I suspect that an objective sociological/psychological analysis would demonstrate that being raised by gay parents is harmful for children.

That being said, I strong disapprove of allowing homosexuals to adopt. This disapproval is not based on any expert knowledge on this subject, because I don’t have any. Rather, it is based on the fact that the Church disapproves of adoption by homosexuals. That’s all I need to know!

I do appreciate hearing and thinking about all the arguments for why these adoptions are harmful. However, those arguments are not what convince me. What convinces me is that the Church has taken a position on the issue.

Single parent is better. Orphanage is probably better. It’s tougher for the child but at least it isn’t exposed to bad example.

[quote=Lisa N]ja3712 listen to what YOU are saying. Do you really think someone’s “happiness” is the most important objective or do you think having a child raised by the best, most stable, loving two parent home is the greater good? Further if someone’s ‘happiness’ means someone else’s sacrifice, yes it IS right to deny that ‘happiness.’

As one person said, sometimes homosexuals adopt kids because it’s “the next thing.” There was quite a well known column by a homosexual activist who talked about he’d done the bar thing, the sports thing, the career thing and the next was the “kid” thing. I am not denying that homosexuals are capable of loving children, but the lifestyle of many of them is unstable, pleasure oriented, and by definition denies these children either a mother or a father. Do you really think the ‘happiness’ of an adult is worth more than having children raised by stable two parent, male female married couples?

Lisa N
[/quote]

You entire outlook is really sexist. You are suggesting there are things that a man can do that women cannot do or vise versa. I think men and women are capable of doing anything the other sex can do. I dont understand where all this sexist thinking is coming from.

[quote=ja3712]You[r] entire outlook is really sexist. You are suggesting there are things that a man can do that women cannot do or vise versa. I think men and women are capable of doing anything the other sex can do. I dont understand where all this sexist thinking is coming from.
[/quote]

ja3712

Your outlook, as presented on this issue, is entirely naive.

Men and women are created equal but not the same. Women can do some things better than men, period! And the converse is also true. Men cannot bear a child in their womb and give birth. It cannot be done, they don’t have the necessary equipment to complete the task. Likewise, women, in general, have a better understanding of the cultural, social interactions of their children and are there for them on an emotional level that differs from what their fathers provide.

At the same time, the emotional distancing which is more common in men, works wonders for teaching kids to buck up and deal with it. It’s the balance between the two approaches which helps kids the most. A male/female parenting couple provides the best environment for the growth and development of a child.

I speak this as a woman who led a very successful career in a male dominated industry. I have a degree in BioChem, worked in SW and then Audited the business processes of corporations both large and small, within and beyond the High Tech Industry. I am the mother of one wonderful daughter and through raising her I have come to realize that my role as a mother trumps any other accomplishment I attained or might have attained in the professional world.

I never would have suspected that being a mother would play such a large role in my life and yet God has made it eminently clear that our job as Parent is paramont in our lives.

The more I have learned about the teachings of the Catholic Church, the more I have been willing to reconsider positions I once held and on which I was quite firm. The teachings of the Church fit together to provide a complete body of work consistant with bringing us a better world, through Christ. This better world appears foreign when we confuse right for wrong, something I certainly did for many years.

I will pray for you as you explore why we, as Catholics, recognize that some things are simply wrong because God has shown us that they are wrong. As we accept this and seek to understand the why of it, we learn always that it is in His divine wisdom that we are saved from ourselves.

God Bless,

CARose

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.