Adoptions

Please feel free to direct me to another thread if this has been discussed already. I didn't find one.

How easy or hard is it for adoptions to take place? There seems to be an unofficial narrative that the screening process is unnecessarily strict and lengthy, that children are languishing while willing adopters are kept waiting. Is this all true? (I'm referring to the United States.) Also, are there more children or adopters? Let's say adoption were easy, what would be the impact if, say, half of all abortions turned into adoptions, instead?

My reason for asking, of course, is one of the arguments for abortion is, Well it will ruin a young woman's life, she's not ready for motherhood. If adoption were easy, then all the young woman is giving up are a few months and okay, a painful delivery, but match that against the life of the child.

We are currently researching adoption for ourselves. My understanding is that adoption can happen very quickly if the birth mother chooses a family and signs the paperwork after birth. The children in foster care seem to be more from abusive situations and much older.

[quote="jerome_ky, post:1, topic:238992"]

How easy or hard is it for adoptions to take place? There seems to be an unofficial narrative that the screening process is unnecessarily strict and lengthy, that children are languishing while willing adopters are kept waiting. Is this all true? (I'm referring to the United States.) Also, are there more children or adopters? Let's say adoption were easy, what would be the impact if, say, half of all abortions turned into adoptions, instead?

[/quote]

Uh ... it depends. It can be really, really easy or really, really hard.

You seem to be talking about private adoptions. In my state, you can basically, like, buy a baby (we used to be the go-to state for adoptions because our laws are so lax). DH and I talked to a lawyer about private adoption and we handed a price list that detailed the cost based on the gender and race of the child. White girls were the most expensive; African-American boys the cheapest.

We, um, didn't let the door hit us in the butt on the way out.

Of course, all this depends on a birthmother picking your family (most adoptions now are at least semi-open). There are more adoptive parents than children, I think, which is why the costs are so high. If abortions stopped, it would become substantially easier.

I could write you a book on the incompetency and social justice outrages perpetrated on foster children in this country, BTW - a WHOLE separate issue.

That is so incredibly sad. A PRICE LIST??

I too wish that abortions would end so that infertile families could make their dreams of a family come true (and for other obvious reasons.) It’s so sad and unfair that babies must die while desperate parents wait and wait for the miracle of a baby.

For some reason, the same people who readily get pregnant and are not desirous of parenthood are also not in favor of adoption.

A friend who does sidewalk counseling outside the abortion clinic has said that in suggesting adoption as an option she is often told that a woman couldn't bear to "give her child up" or to "know someone else is raising her flesh and blood." Note, the woman saying this is on her way to abort her baby.

Adoption is not very difficult from a paperwork standpoint or red-tape standpoint if one is the birthmom. Any reputable agency works first to help the woman determine if adoption really is the choice that she wants to make, and then to select potential adoptive parents. The rest of the process is a relatively quick formality for the birthparents.

Emotionally, it must be a horrid pain and loss for the amazing people who choose adoptive parents for their children. We have adopted our daughter, and her birthmom is included in her life as a friend. Our daughter is only 1, but we go to lunch with her birthmom about once a month and invited her to Madeleine's birthday for instance.

My wife and I have 2 children that we adopted about 9 years ago. Our opinion after going through all of this to have these 2 kids is;…
Well the short of mit that if the same rules applied for giving birth t kids as for adopting kids, humans would be extinct.:o
We adopted through the state, we tried the private route and got taken by a woman for about $5,000. She kept the baby and threatened to charge us with human trafficing with we did not leave her alone.:mad:
God provided, not the one we looked for, but 2. :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s so incredibly disconnected.

Is there no common sense about this? (Rhetorical question) I’m a recent convert (2 years) and so the abortion issue is kind of new to me as a conscience issue, but seriously, if adoption is an option, and there are adopters out there and willing, then the pregnant woman is killing her baby to avoid a few months of discomfort. That’s painfully sad and of course indicative of our culture that insists on a) no consequences for actions; b) views abortion as a non-moral issue.

[Shakes head. Prays.]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.