Adoration and Mass

Does the adoration “feed” those who are old and cannot because of sin consume the host?

People who cannot receive Jesus in the sacrament should do a spiritual communion.

What does anyone’s age have to do with this?

-Tim-

They can make a spiritual Communion.

I read something concerning age and I do not know myself what was meant by that. But what is spiritual communion and does it feed us spiritually like consuming the blessed sacrament of the host?

Thanks for the clarification. There has been an awful lot of bashing of old people here on CAF lately. My haunches are up.

Spiritual communion is a short prayer. You can do it any time.

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

St. Thomas Aquinas described it as “an ardent desire to receive Jesus in the Holy Sacrament and a loving embrace as though we had already received Him.”

St. Theresa of Jesus wrote, When you do not receive communion and you do not attend Mass, you can make a spiritual communion, which is a most beneficial practice; by it the love of God will be greatly impressed on you."

-Tim-

WHAT??? Has the Church started refusing Confession to old people?

Why can an old person attend adoration but not Confession?

There must be more to the question than was asked, because it makes no sense. What’s the real question?

What I read and I can’t remember where it came from so it may not have been a valid catholic source; but anyway said something about people who could’ve receive the host and mentioned “old people”. I would guess it could’ve meant people who couldn’t get to Mass or something like that. Perhaps shut ins. Other than that I don’t know what it meant. I was just quoting it. Like you say, it makes no sense other than the situation I mentioned I would assume.

Adoration happens when a person goes to a church or chapel to pray before the Sacrament (if it’s scheduled then the Host is usually exposed in a monstrance). I can’t think of any reason why a person could go to adoration but not to Confession or Mass.

Sin should never prevent anyone from Communion on an ongoing basis. Even a shut-in who believes s/he may be guilty of mortal sin can call the parish and a priest will visit the person for Confession. This will not be a problem.

As far as Communion goes, many Eucharistic Ministers also deliver Communion to shut-ins. Again, the person should call the parish.

If this is not available, as others have mentioned, a person may receive “spiritually.” This is basically a prayer, and God’s Grace responds, but it should not be considered a substitute for the Eucharist.

I went to adoration once and asked a former priest of mine if I could go to confession or it was the wrong time. He indicated it was adoration and was the wrong time for confession and I said I would stay for adoration. I had my head bowed on the pew before me and he thought for a few minutes and left the front pew and asked me to come to the confessional. He said after thinking about it being mortal sin and letting it go was worse than missing a little adoration.

What you say makes sense. The prayer that was mentioned earlier in this thread does “draw you closer” but it wouldn’t be spiritual food I wouldn’t think. As transubstantiation changes the host accept for its “accidents”.

Adoration (with Eucharistic exposition) and Confession are normally events which are regularly scheduled on a weekly Parish calendar. Confessions are normally scheduled on a Saturday afternoon (so that the person can receive at a Saturday Vigil Mass, or a Sunday Mass). But anyone can arrange for confession by appointment, even if that means the priest must visit the penitent. Scheduled adoration and confession rarely coincide (because most parishes have only one priest, and only a priest may present the Eucharist in a monstrance for adoration).

Regular Confession is not normally offered during adoration (especially if the scheduled adoration is one hour - in response to Our Lord’s question, “Could you not wait with me for one hour?”

Some parishes have adopted perpetual adoration. These parishes have an adoration chapel designated for this purpose. My comments to not apply in this suasion.

The Bishop has now assigned us a new Pastor and an asst Pastor. I have some transportation problems Fr. is aware of now. The bus doesn’t run on Sundays for example. But I haven’t been able for good reasons and at times becoming a bad habit not been able to go. I need to repent of these things. I believe everyone is supposed to go 1 time a year to confession. I don’t know if that’s universal or just here in the US. But I haven’t been to Mass since around or before Thanksgiving of last year. That’s bad.

True. Some parishes have Adoration - the host exposed in the monstrance - for long periods of time in the church itself. Our downtown Jesuit church has formal Adoration several hours a day, except when they have Mass, and also have times for confessions, during which Adoration goes on.

But I would also add that “Adoration” also can, and should take place, in other churches, even when the host is not exposed. Years ago people would “make a visit” to church at different times, to pray before the Blessed Sacrament. That’s harder now, since so many churches are locked up for security reasons. Before and after Mass, it was always the rule to socialize only out in the vestibule, since some people would compose themselves for Mass, and/or linger a bit after Mass for special prayers. This is a kind of informal or ordinary “Adoration” since the Blessed Sacrament is not exposed, but Christ is certainly still there.

In recent years people tended to forget the Blessed Sacrament is there. After the Mass where my niece made her First Communion, the whole church turned into a noisy social affair, instead of moving to another place available at the parish. I suspect this made a bigger impression on the First Communicants than the sermon they had heard about the Eucharist.

I was overjoyed to hear that my former parish was starting a special “Adoration Chapel” years ago. But after a few years, they pulled the Blessed Sacrament out of the Church, so it (or rather He) would only be in that chapel. The Blessed Sacrament became kind of an optional elective, just another parish activity available for whoever was into that sort of thing.

I’m going to guess about the “age” thing.

It may have something to do with old people not being able to swallow the Blessed Sacrament because they throat is too dry or because their muscles in the throat are not very good. In those cases, usually the priest will just give them a little piece of the Blessed Sacrament in a spoon full of water. My Grandmother was this way.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.