Adoration of sacrament in the home

If we are allowed to have Holy water in our homes, and the family and home are units of the church, how come we aren’t allowed to have our own tabernacles with sacred host in them at home? Apart from fact host would spoil over time, but then if it was allowed you would ensure they were properly disposed of and then replaced. Was this ever a practice in church history?

Because the Eucharist is a Sacrament, and is the Body and Blood of Christ, and is only fittingly reserved in a Church. Holy water is not a sacrament, nor is it the Real Presence of Christ. It does not impart grace, it prepares us for it.

-Fr ACEGC

10 Likes

The Eucharist must be safeguarded. That would not always be possible if taken home.

1 Like

Thank you Father. Do you know if this was ever a practice in the early Church were people had to worship secretly in their own homes, and if so, when did it stop ?

I did think that but then I thought what about the sick receiving at home . But then that doesn’t mean it’s stored there

In the early Church, the Liturgy was offered in people’s homes because Christians were persecuted. Roman persecution of the Faith did not stop until after the Edict of Milan (312 or 313) which legalized the Catholic Faith. Then churches were built. It was not necessary for the faithful to have Liturgy in their homes because the persecution ceased.

1 Like

There are still many parts of the world where persecution goes on though. Do you/anyone else know if they have secret tabernacles in their homes because they have to worship in secret ? I don’t know why I have thought of this but it’s interesting to think about how much the church has endured thru the years and still is going thru

I don’t know.

I have two friends who are allowed the Eucharist in their homes, one is a Consecrated Virgin, the other a Consecrated Widow. It is very strictly supervised though. Their next Bishop may change his mind about this. Who knows.

I read about a lady (long time ago) who wanted the Eucharist in her home so badly that she stole one and kept it in her home between two pieces of wax. Years later she admitted it to a priest and when they took it back they discovered that human flesh was on the Host and they determined it was a Eucharistic Miracle. It’s from the book on that subject by Joan Cruz

Not to encourage anyone

No way !! That’s incredible. I must admit I do like hearing about Eucharistic miracles. Must check out that book x

1 Like

I have never heard of a consecrated widow before. Interesting !

2 Likes

It is a very early church custom, there are also Diocesan Hermits. I am not sure if we have any in our Diocese but the Bishop here says to be a Hermit you would have to live like one of the monks who live very strict lives and kind of wrote the book on being hermits. He says most people really require some form of social life.

2 Likes

Yes. I mean as introverted as I am I still need to know there are people around me when I want to see them, and need to sometimes be available to them even if I don’t feel like it. To give that up for God is a great commitment indeed

1 Like

Father you don’t have a Chapel with Our Lord in you home (rectory)? Would that be allowed for a Priest?

In Italy there is a famous Catholic group (Comunita’ Papa Giovanni XXIII) with several homes that in US would be called foster homes or therapeutic homes. In each home there is a married couple organizing the home life; in every home there is also a little chapel with the Holy Eucharist.

1 Like

I know Friar’s house at my parish has a chapel room with tabernacle and the Eucharist in it.

2 Likes

I have a friend who is a consecrated widow but she is not allowed to keep the Eucharist in her home. Guess that varies from Diocese to Diocese.

Most of the priests I know in my Diocese do have private chapels where they keep the Eucharist in a tabernacle.

3 Likes

I do believe our Priest does have Our Lord in a Chapel in the rectory.

I had it and gave it away…

This is the book:

https://www.tanbooks.com/eucharistic-miracles-and-eucharistic-phenomenon-in-the-lives-of-the-saints-3226.html?___SID=U

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.