Adoration of The Blessed Sacrament w/The Rosary?

Could someone explain to me what this is, please? My church offers it every Wednesday night and I would really like to attend. Also, everything I have searched talks about the Eucharist along with it. Obviously, as I am still in RCIA classes and have not been confirmed, I am not taking Communion yet. Is Adoration still something I can attend?

I know that I can ask this in RCIA class, but right now, it's on break for Christmas and I am curious. :)

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a basic question.

[quote="kriss76, post:1, topic:181431"]
Could someone explain to me what this is, please? My church offers it every Wednesday night and I would really like to attend. Also, everything I have searched talks about the Eucharist along with it. Obviously, as I am still in RCIA classes and have not been confirmed, I am not taking Communion yet. Is Adoration still something I can attend?

I know that I can ask this in RCIA class, but right now, it's on break for Christmas and I am curious. :)

[/quote]

"Adoration" refers to the practice of worshiping Jesus in the Eucharist, outside of Mass. What happens is that a priest or deacon puts the Host into a monstrance so that everyone can worship Him more fittingly.

During the time of adoration we have access to special graces because of the presence of Our Lord in the sacrament.

ANYONE can go to Eucharistic adoration. But as a catechumen, it's even more important that you go. Adoration is a good time to learn to just 'be' with the Lord, and to pray to Him.

At the end of adoration, there is usually 'solemn benediction' with incense and the singing of the hymn "Tantum Ergo." This is really beautiful.

If they say it's with the rosary, that probably means that someone leads a public recitation of the rosary of Our Lady during exposition. Are you familiar with the rosary? I can explain the rosary for you too. Even if you think you're familiar with the rosary, you might be surprised by how profound a prayer it is.

So yeah... go!

God bless,
Rob

[quote="RobNY, post:2, topic:181431"]
"Adoration" refers to the practice of worshiping Jesus in the Eucharist, outside of Mass. What happens is that a priest or deacon puts the Host into a monstrance so that everyone can worship Him more fittingly.

During the time of adoration we have access to special graces because of the presence of Our Lord in the sacrament.

ANYONE can go to Eucharistic adoration. But as a catechumen, it's even more important that you go. Adoration is a good time to learn to just 'be' with the Lord, and to pray to Him.

At the end of adoration, there is usually 'solemn benediction' with incense and the singing of the hymn "Tantum Ergo." This is really beautiful.

If they say it's with the rosary, that probably means that someone leads a public recitation of the rosary of Our Lady during exposition. Are you familiar with the rosary? I can explain the rosary for you too. Even if you think you're familiar with the rosary, you might be surprised by how profound a prayer it is.

So yeah... go!

God bless,
Rob

[/quote]

All of the above, plus a warning: Eucharistic Adoration can be habit forming and beneficial to your spiritual health!! :wink:

[quote="Catholic1954, post:3, topic:181431"]
All of the above, plus a warning: Eucharistic Adoration can be habit forming and beneficial to your spiritual health!! :wink:

[/quote]

WARNING: May cause holiness!

The Surgeon General warns that extended exposure to Eucharistic Adoration may result in transformation of the soul, detachment from sin, and love of God.

:rolleyes:

Although these warnings were said somewhat facetiously, truly be prepared for a greater than usual assault on your spiritual life if you do begin to grow closer to God, through Adoration (or any other sort of growth). This happens so often that you can consider it a necessary part of spiritual growth. Jesus was baptized, and what happened? He went out into the desert and had those terrible temptations.

I think this sounds more unhappy than I meant it to. Go to Adoration! Enjoy and rejoice in God's presence!

THANK YOU so much!

Well, that settles it, I will be attending next week. I can only attend every other week, as I am a police officer and work on alternate days each week. It sounds like something I would really enjoy. :)

I am currently learning The Rosary, and I am absolutely in love with it. I feel so at peace when I pray it (even though I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing just yet). I printed out a guide to praying The Rosary, and I have to refer to it often as I am very, very new to praying it.

The one question I have about the Rosary is in regards to the meditation on the Mysteries. I don't really know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing then. I read the Scriptures that go along with each Mystery and have just been thinking about them while I'm saying the Hail Marys. Is that correct?

Again, I certainly appreciate the help with my newbie questions! My boyfriend is from a very devout Catholic family and he answers my questions the best he can, but he hasn't attended church in a long while either, so he's getting back into going as I'm just starting out in my conversion.:D

Kristy

You may want to print out the following hymns for when the Eucharist is exposed and/or during benediction.
You can actually listen to the midi for Salutaris Hostia and Tantum Ergo to see what they sound like beforehand. I've just stumbled upon this site and it's beautiful! Woo hoo! Anyway...:rolleyes:so here you go.

O Salutaris Hostia
Tantum Ergo
Laudate Dominum, no midi.

Here are the Divine Praises, which is also used by many priests during benediction or exposition.

By all means go. It's absolutely beautiful to sit with Jesus.

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:7, topic:181431"]
You may want to print out the following hymns for when the Eucharist is exposed and/or during benediction.
You can actually listen to the midi for Salutaris Hostia and Tantum Ergo to see what they sound like beforehand. I've just stumbled upon this site and it's beautiful! Woo hoo! Anyway...:rolleyes:so here you go.

O Salutaris Hostia
Tantum Ergo
Laudate Dominum, no midi.

Here are the Divine Praises, which is also used by many priests during benediction or exposition.

By all means go. It's absolutely beautiful to sit with Jesus.

[/quote]

Thanks! I look forward to checking these out. I appreciate your input very much!

And you will have some private time of prayer. This would be an excellent time for a spiritual communion, i.e. a prayer in which you ask to receive the presence of the Lord, although at that moment in time you cannot receive Him in the Host.
Look up "Spiritual Communion" and you may find a couple of prayers to follow.

[quote="kriss76, post:6, topic:181431"]
THANK YOU so much!

Well, that settles it, I will be attending next week. I can only attend every other week, as I am a police officer and work on alternate days each week. It sounds like something I would really enjoy. :)

[/quote]

Oh wow, law enforcement. God bless you. :)

I am currently learning The Rosary, and I am absolutely in love with it. I feel so at peace when I pray it (even though I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing just yet). I printed out a guide to praying The Rosary, and I have to refer to it often as I am very, very new to praying it.

Nice! Don't worry about it. The days roll by, and soon you can drop the sheet. I had forgotten how discombobulating it can be when you first learn the rosary-- and then my friend and I learned it in Latin, and it was like starting all over again. Haha.

The peace you feel right now is God's carrot to induce you to get holy. :) Remember, the first rule of prayer is consistency and determination. Promise to yourself and God that even when you lose that feeling of peace, that you'll persevere in prayer to Him.

The one question I have about the Rosary is in regards to the meditation on the Mysteries. I don't really know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing then. I read the Scriptures that go along with each Mystery and have just been thinking about them while I'm saying the Hail Marys. Is that correct?

Exactly. You've got it! All 'meditative' prayer is, is uniting yourself to God by using your mind and heart. It's a fancy word, but don't let it fool you. In St. Therese of Lisieux's autobiography, the Story of a Soul, she has a charming story about so-called 'mental prayer.'

As a little girl, she is speaking to the prioress of a convent, and the prioress gently asks her questions about what sort of life she leads, to see where she is on the path to holiness. And the prioress asks her, well, what do you like doing? And St. Therese says, I like to think. And the prioress asks her, well, what do you think about? And St. Therese answers, I think about God. And narrating the text, St. Therese laughs at herself and says that she now knows this is called 'mental prayer.'

So 'meditative prayer' is a reaaally broad sort of thing. No two people pray exactly alike, and indeed, one can approach the rosary from different directions. I could talk alot and tell you nothing really interesting. Just keep praying and let the Holy Spirit be your true interior master. Ask Him to teach you how to pray.

Again, I certainly appreciate the help with my newbie questions! My boyfriend is from a very devout Catholic family and he answers my questions the best he can, but he hasn't attended church in a long while either, so he's getting back into going as I'm just starting out in my conversion.:D

Kristy

Good, good. A woman can be a very powerful example for a man. See if you can't prayer together with him. That would be an excellent testing ground and means of growth, over the long term, of your relationship with him.

God bless,
Rob

[quote="RobNY, post:10, topic:181431"]
Oh wow, law enforcement. God bless you. :)

Nice! Don't worry about it. The days roll by, and soon you can drop the sheet. I had forgotten how discombobulating it can be when you first learn the rosary-- and then my friend and I learned it in Latin, and it was like starting all over again. Haha.

The peace you feel right now is God's carrot to induce you to get holy. :) Remember, the first rule of prayer is consistency and determination. Promise to yourself and God that even when you lose that feeling of peace, that you'll persevere in prayer to Him.

Exactly. You've got it! All 'meditative' prayer is, is uniting yourself to God by using your mind and heart. It's a fancy word, but don't let it fool you. In St. Therese of Lisieux's autobiography, the Story of a Soul, she has a charming story about so-called 'mental prayer.'

As a little girl, she is speaking to the prioress of a convent, and the prioress gently asks her questions about what sort of life she leads, to see where she is on the path to holiness. And the prioress asks her, well, what do you like doing? And St. Therese says, I like to think. And the prioress asks her, well, what do you think about? And St. Therese answers, I think about God. And narrating the text, St. Therese laughs at herself and says that she now knows this is called 'mental prayer.'

So 'meditative prayer' is a reaaally broad sort of thing. No two people pray exactly alike, and indeed, one can approach the rosary from different directions. I could talk alot and tell you nothing really interesting. Just keep praying and let the Holy Spirit be your true interior master. Ask Him to teach you how to pray.

Good, good. A woman can be a very powerful example for a man. See if you can't prayer together with him. That would be an excellent testing ground and means of growth, over the long term, of your relationship with him.

God bless,
Rob

[/quote]

Thank you for taking time to address all of that for me! I feel better in knowing that I am at least trying to pray correctly! I was given a beautiful Rosary as a gift and it has really helped me in keeping track of where I am (I was learning on my fingers at first) in the prayer.

My main goal is to make sure I'm actually praying and meditating and not just saying a bunch of words. At first, it was kind of distracting and I was getting lost, but it is getting easier and I find myself actually feeling stronger in my walk with the Lord. I am excited to pray each day (several times a day)!

It's so much different from what I'm used to, as a former Baptist, but I really get so much out of it. I sometimes feel like when I'm talking to people about The Rosary, Mass, RCIA, etc they just look at me like I'm crazy (even some Catholics I know :rolleyes:). But, I have never felt this excited about church and growing my relationship with Christ in my life. I sometimes hesitate to talk about it, because I don't want people to think I'm being fake or flippant about it.

Thank you! I did look up “Spiritual Communion” and found some beautiful prayers!

Praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament is the closest we can get to Jesus himself in this earth. It is so beautiful and peaceful.

May I recommend The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort. It is filled with explications of the prayers and the mysteries, stories about the Rosary, the effects of praying the Rosary, and also several methods of meditating on the mysteries while praying the Rosary. I also recommend The Glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus Liguori, which contains more food for meditation. These books are both readily available and quite readable.

I strongly recommend adoration. There are so many tabernacles in the world where He is ignored and even despised, yet He waits longingly for us. I am fortunate to live near a perpetual adoration chapel (where the Sacrament is exposed in the monstrance 24/7), and I can testify that adoration has been the means of curing me of some deeply rooted spiritual ailments that I was too blind to recognize as ailments. It was all His work; all I did was show up. And I can’t even take the credit for that, because the initiative is always, always His.

You can’t just drop in on the President or the Queen of England or even the mayor anytime you feel like it, but you can visit with the King of Kings any time of the day or night, and stay as long as you want without wearing out your welcome.

Anytime, you can stop by the Church and spend a few minutes with Jesus in the Tabernacle. Is wonderful.

[quote="kriss76, post:1, topic:181431"]

[/quote]

The others explained to you what adoration is. Sometimes they say the rosary, the prayer to Mary, Jesus' mother. When I went to Adoration/Rosary, they handed out little pamphlets, and people took turns reciting the mysteries. It was really nice and got me closer to Mary. I reccomend you spend as much time in adoration as possible. It really makes your day whenever you go.

-Jeanne

Adoration is ...really it's Heaven on earth! :D

I'm a convert too and this is what helped me the most.

though..the first time I could only stay around 10 minutes. lol. The more I went the better it got.

It's really beautiful and helps to appreciate the Real Presence :thumbsup:

God bless!! :)

[ATTACH]7194[/ATTACH]

Thank you all so much for your comments, thoughts and recommendations. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to help me understand Adoration. I am really looking forward to attending next week, and I’ll let you know how it goes!

Blessings to all of you in the New Year! :gopray:

Duuuuuuuude. :smiley:

Have to say something else… so… this… isn’t… spam.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.