Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament

I am an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist. Is it permissible, with the permission of the Pastor, for me (or any designated extraordinary person to to bring out the Blessed Sacrament in the monstrance out iut the Blessed Sacrament for adoration? (Or does it require a Priest or Deacon?)

An extraordinary minister may bring out the monstrance for adoration. They may not do benediction, of course, but exposing and reposing the Blessed Sacrament is fine.

Canon Law 943 The minister of exposition of the Most Blessed Sacrament and of eucharistic benediction is a priest or deacon; in special circumstances,** the minister of exposition and reposition alone without benediction is the acolyte, **extraordinary minister of holy communion, or someone else designated by the local ordinary; the prescripts of the diocesan bishop are to be observed.

[quote="Mary_Ellen, post:2, topic:328662"]
An extraordinary minister may bring out the monstrance for adoration. They may not do benediction, of course, but exposing and reposing the Blessed Sacrament is fine.

Canon Law 943 The minister of exposition of the Most Blessed Sacrament and of eucharistic benediction is a priest or deacon; in special circumstances,** the minister of exposition and reposition alone without benediction is the acolyte, **extraordinary minister of holy communion, or someone else designated by the local ordinary; the prescripts of the diocesan bishop are to be observed.

[/quote]

So it's OK as long as the bishop allows the practice within his diocese.

Thank you, Mary Ellen:—Does the “…in special circumstances…” signify permission of the Bishop required?

Commissioning from the pastor of the parish is also required. Very simple process and the priests I have worked with are willing in certain circumstances to commission EMHC to expose and repose the BS. There are some who will not and it is not acceptable to do this or anything without permission of the pastor. Even as a deacon I need permission to expose and repose the BS in a pariah outside on my assignment. My Pastor has granted me full permission to do this anytime in my home parish.

I would suggest before doing this with an EMHC, seek the help of the priest or deacon if there is one at your parish or a neighboring parish; it is always better to have an ordinary minister preside so that you can have benediction. JMHO:thumbsup:

The OP's question started out, "Is it permissible, with the permission of the Pastor..."

I didn’t write anything that disagrees with that did I? What I posted was in response to the two posts I quoted, not just the OP. One of them was yours. I know what you meant and I agree with you; but someone lurking here and not fully understanding these issues may read these two posts alone and think as long as the bishop says its ok then they are good to go. That is not so, the pastor has to give the commissioning.

All I did was add to your post and the other, sorry if I offended you…:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.