Adoration - question

This might be an odd question, but I’ve been going to Eucharistic Adoration for about two months now, and I love it, but I find it almost impossible to pray in words or meditate when I’m there. I’ve figured out what times are the silent periods, and usually I go during those, but I also go sometimes when there is vocal prayer, and in both cases, I seem almost incapable of praying in words, silently or out loud, or of thinking about anything, related to Jesus or not. It takes a great deal of effort, for instance, to pray the rosary, or talk to Jesus mentally. My mind doesn’t wander, it just doesn’t want to do anything at all.

This doesn’t happen to me outside of Adoration. At first I thought maybe I was just tired, but as soon as I leave the chapel I am able to pray and think normally again. At first I thought maybe it was a kind of temptation, but when I stop trying to pray that way, I am just overtaken by a sense of awe and wonder at being in Jesus’ Presence … which seems like a good thing and a kind of prayer, maybe? Has anybody else had this experience? Should I stop trying to pray mentally for the time being, or should I keep at it?

Hi, I don’t think that’s necessarily bad…maybe it’s God’s will for you at this time. What’s it like when you’re at Adoration? Maybe just being in His presence is what you need, not even saying anything or praying. :slight_smile: I heard this quote once… a person was asked what he does at Adoration… and he said, he just looks at Jesus, and Jesus looks at Him. :slight_smile: there’s nothing wrong with this… I’d just sort of take it step by step. When I first started going to Adoration, I could not really pray with words either. The only thing I could think of is that I’m ACTUALLY in the presence of Jesus, wow, how awesome is that!! and that’s all I could think… and the only thing I ever said to Him was “Jesus I love You” etc. Just little phrases like that. Eventually I was able to pray with words. I don’t think one way is better than the other. In fact, interior silence is a good thing because it helps us to hear God. Have you tried just reflecting on His presence in the Eucharist while you’re there? If you find it difficult to reflect on anything, just offer your time there to Him and just love Him. :slight_smile: that’s what prayer is all about.

God bless!

There are no rules about how you should express yourself during Eucharistic Adoration - apart from one which goes without saying: that whatever you do, it should be in a respectful manner since you are in the presence of Christ. All Jesus asks is for you to keep watch for an hour with Him.

I can’t say that I’ve ever had the same experience as you, but I pray in different ways when I’m before the Blessed Sacrament. Sometimes I’ll pray a rosary; if I’m there in the afternoon/early evening, I would normally pray Vespers on my own; other times I spend time reading Sacred Scripture; and sometimes I just sit and look at Jesus. As you say, you are taken over by a sense of awe & wonder at being in His presence - don’t do anything to lose that! If you don’t feel drawn to pray a structured set of prayers, then don’t - if you spend an hour with Jesus, that still leaves plenty of time away from the Adoration chapel to pray the rosary or whatever other prayers you’d like to offer!

“Be still and know that I am God.” That seems to be what you’re doing.

Just bask in His presence. It’s a great thing. And yes, it is a prayer.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Everyone has their visit iin their own way. I am sure God welcomes you no matter what you’re doing, as long as you are not listening to your IPOD or anything.
I was quite sure what to do their first time I went to Adoration… I didn’t have this urge to pray my Rosary or anything, so I just tuned myself into the “vibrations” of everyone in the room praying at once, and let my prayers and thoughts soar up with everyone else’s.

I read somewhere a saint had asked a man who went to adoration frequently what he says to the Lord and he said…“I look at Him & He looks at me”…it’s all good.

Enjoy the quiet and bask in the presence of Jesus. That seems like what you are doing. No reason to change. Kind of like sitting with a good friend and just sitting - not filling every minute with conversation.

I do different things at Adoration - sometimes I pray from a prayer book and sometimes I write in my journal and sometimes I will just sit - all in the same hour. I notice lots of people reading (spiritual things) and I wonder if they get so caught up in their reading sometimes that they forget where they are?

Jesus speaks in the silence.

I’ve had similar experiences. Perhaps we are simply being overwhelmed… in the Presence of the Lord; and it is His Will… that we rest, silently… in His Presence.

It’s a good “exercise” in learning to quiet one’s soul. And perhaps, He may even wish to say something to you (or me)… in this quiet.

I don’t think it is anything for you to be concerned about, dear soul. Just bask in the warmth of His Love, while there (even if no words come to your mind). May He bless you. :slight_smile:

Yes.

All of the above.

Your experience is typical and reasonable and authentic.

At some point you may experience a feeling of pure joy that will be unique to you and be unable to describe in words.

Maybe the word “ineffable” comes to mind.

You may start a prayer and then suddenly stop.

Just be open.

Most times I “need” more time with Him }, but He chases me off because there is some earthly work that needs to be done.

I used to bring stuff to read; still do, but most of the time I just sit there with a “goofy” smile on my lips.

I told a friend this was “THE BEST THING” and he looked at me like I was nuts. And then, he began showing up. And then you could see him moving his head around like he was talking to Jesus.

A stranger came up to me and asked if the glass in the monstrance was “magnifying glass”. * !!!]*

The silence (both interior and exterior) is awesome. It allows us to empty ourselves out, be still, listen, and fall in love.

Who needs words when we have hearts?

Peace

Thank you for all the replies! It’s nice to know others have had similar experiences. :slight_smile:

It was St Jean-Marie Vianney - the Cure of Ars. He used to notice a certain peasant who would often come into the church and stay for long periods of time. Noticing that the man didn’t have a prayer book or rosary beads & his lips never moved, St John asked him one day how he passed his time before the Blessed Sacrament. And the peasant gave that simple, yet profound, answer: “I look at Him and He looks at me”. Beautiful!

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, there aren’t really any formal rules to adoration except perhaps be respectful of others spending time with the Lord. Do as the spirit moves you, if you can’t pray formally then just sit in silence with the Lord. If you can contemplate him, if you can’t even do that, well there’s that silence thing again! :slight_smile:

My first time at adoration I managed to pray 3 times, though mostly spontaniously, and read from the NAB. Next time I’ll be bringing my new (used, printed 1956) English 1609 Douay-Rheims. Truely you can feel the presense of the Lord there, which I guess makes sense as he is there.

This recollection came to mind last night.

I was there in the adoration chapel all alone by myself, just me and Jesus.

This sense or feeling of joy came over me. There was nothing special going on in my life. Work was difficult; money was very tight; all the usual interpersonal “issues”.

But, … do you remember that movie, “Singing In The Rain” in which Gene Kelly does that amazing tap dance?

Well, I was just sitting there and this feeling of joy came over me and I began tap dancing (while sitting in my chair) to the tune of “Singing in the Rain”. I don’t know what was more amazing: the feeling of joy or the tap dancing.

There have been other posts on Eucharistic Adoration by others in which non-Catholics would sit there and feel the presence of another person. Had to be Jesus.

Makes me want to stay in the adoration chapel 24/7, but other people need for me to do stuff, so I can’t stay there all the time. Besides sometimes it gets very crowded and need to let others have a seat.

Sometimes when I go to adoration my mind is racing 100 miles a minute and I need to calm myself in his presence. I actually feel sometimes like a babbling fool. I think this comes from me having a form of aspergers syndrome and being nervous in His presence. I have a practice now. I go in and kneeling I praise Him and thank him for the gift of being in his presence, I always say a rosary and then I will sit in adoration quietly. I never know what graces I am getting from adoration but I do know its a good practice and I try to go once a week.

I’m really enjoying this thread. Thanks for starting it, and thanks to all who replied.

Fultonfish, thanks for the tap-dancing story! A Catholic I know recently told me that one of the saints (can’t remember which) used to fall asleep in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I guess I would feel guilty if I fell asleep, but still I can’t think of a better place to sleep - or tap dance!

Oh, the first time I walked into a Catholic church - I FELT God (I didn’t know anything about Jesus at that time, but I did believe in some kind of God). It was like nothing else. More than a year later, having come to believe Jesus was the Son of God, I went into a Catholic church again, a different one, and again the moment I stepped inside I knew He was there. I had been visiting churches from different denominations and had been to a de-consecrated Catholic chapel (very sad, what happened to that chapel), and nowhere else had I felt that. I had no idea what the difference was. Later I found out it was Jesus in the Eucharist. :slight_smile:

I still experience this every time I walk into a Catholic church, for Mass or for any reason at all. However, I have talked to other people who don’t have the same experience, whether or not they are Catholic. I know “feelings” are just a special grace and Jesus is there whether or not we feel that He is there. I guess because my faith is so weak, Jesus is giving me a little help.

Oh, the first time I walked into a Catholic church - I FELT God (I didn’t know anything about Jesus at that time, but I did believe in some kind of God). It was like nothing else. More than a year later, having come to believe Jesus was the Son of God, I went into a Catholic church again, a different one, and again the moment I stepped inside I knew He was there. I had been visiting churches from different denominations and had been to a de-consecrated Catholic chapel (very sad, what happened to that chapel), and nowhere else had I felt that. I had no idea what the difference was. Later I found out it was Jesus in the Eucharist.

I still experience this every time I walk into a Catholic church, for Mass or for any reason at all. However, I have talked to other people who don’t have the same experience, whether or not they are Catholic. I know “feelings” are just a special grace and Jesus is there whether or not we feel that He is there. I guess because my faith is so weak, Jesus is giving me a little help.

awesome! :smiley: I had something similar happen to me… I think you’re right, God gives such graces to those who perhaps need a little encouragement :slight_smile: (I’m one of those people too.) the cool thing is that this really adds to your testimony and God can use it to draw others to the Church as well.

God bless

You’re reading my mind. This sentiment reflects my situation. Exactly.

I constantly pray that He overlooks or forgives my weakness.

Saint Faustina, was it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.