adoration question

Friends,
My parish is open many hours during the day; however Our Lord stays in the tabernacle and is not in a monstrance. Is this still considered adoration if I go and visit our lord?
I’m a novice so just wanted clarification.
blessings to all:shrug:

I would suppose that adoration is defined somewhere, but I do not have the resources at hand. If the monstrance is not displayed, you certainly could not go wrong by going into a chapel or church and spending time with Him.

On the other hand, the comment by an elderly, not particularly well educated farmer comes to mind: when asked about adoration, he replied to the effect: “I look at Him, and He looks at me.”

To be sure, I looked on Ask website Eucharistic Adoration, taken from a Wikipedia article.
It stated that the Eucharist can be adored while in a ciborium in an enclosed tabernacle when
it is not exposed. This is sometimes necessary because when the Eucharist is exposed on the Altar .in a Monstrance, a person must be present at all times. This is not always possible
so the Eucharist is kept in the Tabernacle for adoration also.

I was told that technically, the term for the Eucharist being exposed in a Monstrance is called Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, and Adoration is the act of worship given to the Eucharistic Presence of our Lord whether exposed or in the Tabernacle.

So every Friday in my parish we have Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament with 24 hour Adoration from 0900 Fri. to 0845 Sat.

Just to be clear, Jesus does not have to be in a monstrance to be exposed. A ciboria could be placed on the altar with the lid off, or a the Blessed sacrament can be placed on a paten and put on the altar. It does not have to be a monstrance.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.