Adoration without a monstrance

A Catholic church in my area has adoration once a month. I expected the Body of Christ to be exposed in a monstrance, but instead, the tabernacle doors were open exposing the reserved hosts. Is this a proper form of adoration?

I’ve never seen it done quite that way (just opening the tabernacle), but I suppose it is okay.

I have seen a veiled ciborium transferred from the tabernacle to the main altar for public adoration. Why the pastor sometimes has chosen to do this rather than exhibit a monstrance I would have had to ask. (It may have been as simple as not having a recently consecrated large host in the lunula)

cf. Eucharistiae Sacramentum which makes frequent reference to exposition “either in a ciborium or in a monstrance” (and if there are more recent documents, I welcome correction).

tee

I attended adoration for the first time recently. When I arrived in the chapel it was late, and the host in the monstrance was covered. Was I supposed to un cover it and then cover it back when I left?

While the monstrance is the typical vessel for adoration, the presence of Jesus is not lessened by having the Blessed Sacrament present in a ciborium.

Deacon Ed

Adoration without a monstrance

AHHHH!!! What are they thinking? If you have one, use it.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Once again I side with the Deacon.

[quote=Deacon Ed]While the monstrance is the typical vessel for adoration, the presence of Jesus is not lessened by having the Blessed Sacrament present in a ciborium.

Deacon Ed
[/quote]

I agree, but why not use the Monstrance? Would there be a good reason not to, except possibly not having one? But then again, I thought all Churches had them. :confused:

You ought to use a monstrance.

http://www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk/monstrance.jpg

[quote=Freeway4321]You ought to use a monstrance.
[/quote]

You have reason to disagree with norms granted by the magisterium?

[quote=tee_eff_em]You have reason to disagree with norms granted by the magisterium?
[/quote]

My personal opinion is… You ought to use one. Simple enough.

Maybe the church couldn’t afford one yet - have you seen how ornate those things are?

[quote=Freeway4321]My personal opinion is… You ought to use one. Simple enough.
[/quote]

Thanks for the qualification.

tee

[quote=tee_eff_em]Thanks for the qualification.

tee
[/quote]

We need qualifications to have an opinion now? I didn’t say it was a necessity.

[quote=Freeway4321]We need qualifications to have an opinion now? I didn’t say it was a necessity.
[/quote]

I’m with you. Went to Opus Dei for Adoration and Benediction…tabernacle adoration and ciborium benediction…different, I prefer the monstrance…

[quote=Freeway4321]We need qualifications to have an opinion now? I didn’t say it was a necessity.
[/quote]

When the original poster asked “Is this proper?” I presumed him to be asking if it is proper wrt to the norms laid out by Holy Mother Church (it appears to be), not if it is proper in the opinion of the members of this forum.

When you said “You ought to …” without qualification, I thought perhaps you had a norm of the Church in mind.* But I see I was mistaken.

To my knowledge, the Church expresses no preference for whether Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament ought to be the monstrance nor in the ciborium.

I am thankful for the opportunity to adore the Eucharistic presence of my Lord, no matter which the vessel of exposition!

(* And I ought to have phrased my question that way, rather than casting your opinion as disagreement with the magisterium.

My apologies. Mea culpa. )

:twocents:
tee

In my neighbourhood there is an “eternal adoration” but in fact it means that people can walk into the church and adorate Christ 12h a day… how does it look? sometimes people just pray in front of tabernaculum, but it’s more common that the Body of Christ is in monstrance…
Many i times is saw situations when people where adorating Christ in the accessories used during the liturgy.
It doesn’t mind in fact if you see the Holy Wafer, or not… if you are a beliver, if you’re faithful you will see the Christ in very simple life. The thing that you want to adorate Body of Christ in Church is possible to realise with monstrancy and also with “just” a tabernaculum…
Do you feel that your prayers are “weaker” when you are adorating Christ in tabernaculum?

We finally have NEARLY 24-hour adoration at my parish (only a handful of hours are not represented, mostly in the middle of the night). We do not have the Eucharist in a monstrance, or even the Tabernacle door open. We simply pray in front of the Tabernacle itself. Once a month they do have proper exposition and Benediction.

But it’s adoration nonetheless, monstrance or no monstrance, door open or door closed. Obviously monstrance is preferred.

'thann

I recently saw a very creative tabernacle in a chapel. Because of the chapel’s remote location, having perpetual adoration would be impossible. But to allow people to have adoration, the tabernacle had a “flap” that could be slid over and the Blessed Sacrament was exposed through glass and when the flap was moved over it looked like it was in a monstrance. My reaction was how ingenious. I’m going to suggest that our local Catholic hospital get one.

[quote=Gregory24]I attended adoration for the first time recently. When I arrived in the chapel it was late, and the host in the monstrance was covered. Was I supposed to un cover it and then cover it back when I left?
[/quote]

I don’t think so. But maybe anything goes now. :tsktsk:

-Kathie :bowdown:

[quote=harinkj]I don’t think so. But maybe anything goes now. :tsktsk:

-Kathie :bowdown:
[/quote]

Actually, I believe that this is a proper means to allow Adoration when there are not enough people to have it Perpetual. The important matter is to never leave Christ exposed and alone. The person should be instructed on teh proper way to cover and uncover the Monstrance.

P.S. I’m not 100% confident that I’m right on this but I remember hearing/reading this someplace. As I live in a rural state, sometimes the Church has to figure out things that allow us to enjoy the devotions extended to those of you in more populated areas. If I’m incorrect in this, I’d love clarification as I don’t think that where this is done, there is any knowledge or inkling that this may be improper.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.