Adoration without a monstrance

[quote=Orionthehunter]Actually, I believe that this is a proper means to allow Adoration when there are not enough people to have it Perpetual. The important matter is to never leave Christ exposed and alone. The person should be instructed on teh proper way to cover and uncover the Monstrance.

P.S. I’m not 100% confident that I’m right on this but I remember hearing/reading this someplace. As I live in a rural state, sometimes the Church has to figure out things that allow us to enjoy the devotions extended to those of you in more populated areas. If I’m incorrect in this, I’d love clarification as I don’t think that where this is done, there is any knowledge or inkling that this may be improper.
[/quote]

I’m not sure if this practice is proper either, nor whether it differs significantly if, instead of covering/uncovering a monstrance, exposition is achieved by the sort of tabernacle Orionthehunter described (which I’ve run across once or twice too).

The norm from 1973 states:

#91] In the absence of a priest or deacon or if they are lawfully impeded, the following persons may publicly expose and later repose the eucharist for the adoration of the faithful:

a. an acolyte or special minister of communion;

b. upon appointment by the local Ordinary, a member of a religious community or of a pious association of laymen or laywomen which is devoted to eucharistic adoration.

Which implies, to me, that not just anyone ought to be exposing/reposing the eucharist. But perhaps the veiling doesn’t count as exposition, or perhaps there may be a more recent document?

tee

[quote=Orionthehunter]I recently saw a very creative tabernacle in a chapel. Because of the chapel’s remote location, having perpetual adoration would be impossible. But to allow people to have adoration, the tabernacle had a “flap” that could be slid over and the Blessed Sacrament was exposed through glass and when the flap was moved over it looked like it was in a monstrance. My reaction was how ingenious. I’m going to suggest that our local Catholic hospital get one.
[/quote]

[size=1]I’ve seen these to. There was one at a retreat center I went to awhile back. [/size]

I wondered about this too. I spent an hour with the Blessed Sacrament with the first 20 minutes or so with the Monstrance veiled. I didn’t think I should touch it. Fortunately Father came in and unveiled it for me during my prayers. I didn’t think to ask him if it was ok if I had done this. I know that a Priest or Deacon could of course, but wasn’t sure if anyone else was allowed to.

Still, His Real Presence was there veiled or unveiled. I felt much better simply praying before the Monstrance veiled rather than wind up doing something that might be irreverent twoards the Eucharist.

That’s interesting. I haven’t heard of that. We have adoration once a week with the monstrance. :shrug:

No, I think the Blessed Sacrament should be put on the altar, for Exposition. From the liturgical book “Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass”:
“93. … The ciborium or monstrance should be placed upon the table of the altar which is covered with a cloth. …”

There can be adoration with a closed tabernacle, but there is no ceremony of having an open tabernacle in the liturgical books.

A new one a local pastor showed me last week cost $1600. He had to wait until he was given a bequest, too much for the parish’s budget.

Back when Catholic churches were always open, we didn’t call it adoration unless the Blessed Sacrament was exposed in the monstrance, otherwise we called it ‘making a visit’.

I have heard of something done once upon a time called “private exposition” which involved nothing more than opening the door of the Tabernacle so the Ciborium could be seen.

Could this have been it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.