Adoration

My parish is trying to start a perpetual adoration chapel. They are having trouble getting people for the early morning shifts. I work a fulltime job and I also bartend on Saturday night. So my question is: Is it a good idea to sign up for the 3:00 am -4:00am adoration? I dont know if it would be worth the the tiredness the next day. My fulltime job requires travel so this is about the only shift that would work for me. Any comments are welcomed.

What about not signing up, but just arriving to pray at that time if it works with your day? If after several times it seems to work, then you might want to take the assigned time.

You do not want to be so tired that your driving is affected or your work.

Have you had Adoration at this parish before? Usually it works best to have the chapel open during the day until say 10pm while people start their commitments. Soon you will find that the desire for Adoration catches on and you have the comitment for more hours, If there aren't committed adorers, the chapel can't be open.

We have recently added all night hours on First Fridays only. Otherwise our chapel is only open until 10pm. Another nearby parish does have perpetual adoration though.

We have a tabernacle that opens to expose the Blessed Sacrament, and closes again when you're done. So no one there not opened. But the Chapel only open till 4pm weekdays. But near where I used to live they had the same thing but available whenever you wish as to get in you would just need a code .

On an on-going basis, no it would not be a good idea. While we all should do our part to help our parish endeavors to succeed, it can't be to the detriment of our own health.

has your parish considered starting incrementally? my parish's chapel started out as all day (like 8a to 8p or something) on tuesdays, then expanded from there.

[quote="cessnawag, post:1, topic:304128"]
My parish is trying to start a perpetual adoration chapel. They are having trouble getting people for the early morning shifts. I work a fulltime job and I also bartend on Saturday night. So my question is: Is it a good idea to sign up for the 3:00 am -4:00am adoration? I dont know if it would be worth the the tiredness the next day. My fulltime job requires travel so this is about the only shift that would work for me. Any comments are welcomed.

[/quote]

I would, if it is possible, pray a novena to the Blessed Sacramentamdask for guidance in this matter. I recently began a weekly committed hour at 0100 at a local Adoration Chapel because they needed it filled. I am tired at work the next day, but the alternative is to possibly not have the chapel open. Specifically ask Christ to help you to understand how He may be calling you to that hour. For me, the tiredness is something that I offer up to Him as a small sacrifice in thanksgiving for His Cross and for the Blessed Sacrament.

You are in my prayers.

I agree with this. I believe that there are some times that really are not Good for anyone. I took it that you are thinking about the hour on (really Sunday MOrning) after your shift? Not everyday at 3. I agree with the above to pray about it. IF God wants you to do it there will be grace (Not that it will always be easy) The nice thing about late hours is that it is very quiet. I have two hours a week. One is right after work and some times it is like a revolving door with people coming in for a quick visit after work. I am so happy they are taking time for Jesus but it is distracting. My other hour is late evening and I often have lots of time when it is just me and my Lord.

[quote="cessnawag, post:1, topic:304128"]

[/quote]

Adore God from wherever you are. Bring along a holy card and use it to help bring Him to mind. A moment of focused adoration during a work break is much more efficacious than a weary hour in church.

I've been going in the middle of the night for many years and know many who do. The next day is a little rough, but I have learned to go to bed early on the night before and after, and to nap after dinner on the nights I go. I've learned to close my eyes for fifteen minutes during lunch and other such things to help.

I know a woman who has been going Tuesday at 2:00 AM for fourteen years. It is a part of her life now. The monks at the monastery near me get six or seven hours sleep nightly and get up at 3:45 AM to pray every day of their lives.

Adoration is a great blessing in my life. The sacrifice is well worth it for me.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:10, topic:304128"]
I've been going in the middle of the night for many years and know many who do. The next day is a little rough, but I have learned to go to bed early on the night before and after, and to nap after dinner on the nights I go. I've learned to close my eyes for fifteen minutes during lunch and other such things to help.

I know a woman who has been going Tuesday at 2:00 AM for fourteen years. It is a part of her life now. The monks at the monastery near me get six or seven hours sleep nightly and get up at 3:45 AM to pray every day of their lives.

Adoration is a great blessing in my life. The sacrifice is well worth it for me.

-Tim-

[/quote]

This is wonderful advice. My parish does not have 24 Adoration (our chapel closes each evening), but I know others who attend late at night (or early in the morning) at their parishes and they handle it the same way.

After a while it will become part of your routine. However, that doesn't mean that a person should not discern carefully what they are capable of and what is indeed possible in their schedule.

[quote="TimothyH, post:10, topic:304128"]

-Tim-

[/quote]

I used to do two two hour 4:00 am shifts for awhile. I loved them because there would rarely be anyone else in the chapel. I also went to bed early so I'd have at least 6 hours of sleep, and then come home and sleep for a couple hours to make up for what I lost. Unfortunately, this didn't work when I had morning classes and was falling asleep during Latin and had to quit doing them. I came to the conclusion it wasn't God's will that I flunk out of my duties of my state in life.

I highly recommend NOT doing anything like drinking Redbull before going in order to stay awake. Coffee is okay, but I drank a tallboy size of Redbull once before Adoration and was wide awake, but I felt more like running laps around the parish rather than meditating. That's another thing. Meditating can be dangerous during middle of the night Adoration times if you tend to "fall into a deep state of contemplation" when you close your eyes. :D

[quote="Christine85, post:4, topic:304128"]
We have a tabernacle that opens to expose the Blessed Sacrament, and closes again when you're done. So no one there not opened. But the Chapel only open till 4pm weekdays. But near where I used to live they had the same thing but available whenever you wish as to get in you would just need a code .

[/quote]

Lay people are not permitted to expose the blessed sacrament. We have the same tabernacle in ours, but it is clearly indicated that once the tabernacle is closed only a priest may open it.

If you reasonably think that you can do this then it would be ok. But if it would seriously negativly effect your health then maybe not. That is a call only you can make.
:):):)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.