Adoration

I'm not sure how to phrase this, so I'm sorry if I don't say it correctly.

I understand the concept. I understand that Jesus is present in the Host and all. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I guess I need to learn how to adore? I don't know. I'm taking any and all advice at this point. Just don't be mean. lol. :D

I just remain kneeling and tell Jesus what is on my mind. I pray for others and give thanks for my blessings. I try to focus solely on the blessed sacrament but will close my eyes and bow my head in prayer occasionally. I have seen people take prayer books to adoration or even praying the rosary. Those are things you can also do. Just talk to our Lord. It is special time with him. Although he is always with us, he is present in a very special way during this time. :)

I don't know that there is a right or wrong way. As long as you are respectful and Christ is the center of your attention, I don't think it can be wrong. It's my date night activity with my husband--yes we are THAT boring. It's a place for my kids to catch up on catechism home work on nights they need to come with me. It's my quite time out of the house on the rare occasion I get to go alone. And sometimes if another adored is there, it's a place to converse with another adult about the beauty of our faith, or comfort one another when we experience hardships. I've prayed the rosary, read the catechism, talked to my priest, and all in the presence of God. Go with the flow, so many graces come from spending a little time with God. He doesn't ask much from us, but he gives us so much

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:1, topic:327478"]
I'm not sure how to phrase this, so I'm sorry if I don't say it correctly.

I understand the concept. I understand that Jesus is present in the Host and all. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I guess I need to learn how to adore? I don't know. I'm taking any and all advice at this point. Just don't be mean. lol. :D

[/quote]

I'm no expert since I've never been to Adoration (but I will go as soon as my church has it!), but I found this video to be helpful because I was wondering the same thing. It's goofy for about the first minute, but stick with it. Someone shared the link to her videos a couple of days ago. I've watched nearly all of them.

One of my problems is that my mind wonders. It even wonders when I am praying the rosary and I get discouraged. When my mind goes to wondering I feel like I have done something wrong.

[quote="decjlc, post:4, topic:327478"]
I'm no expert since I've never been to Adoration (but I will go as soon as my church has it!), but I found this video to be helpful because I was wondering the same thing. It's goofy for about the first minute, but stick with it. Someone shared the link to her videos a couple of days ago. I've watched nearly all of them.

[/quote]

That video did help. Thanks!

According to Francis Cardinal Arinze in his book Celebrating the Holy Eucharist, God is due:

Adoration
Praise
Thanksgiving
Propitiation for our sin
Petition

All of these may be done before our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Adoration is, in my mind, the best kept secret of the faith. Father Robert Barron says that the Holy Spirit is the mutual sigh that occurs when Father and Son look at each other with infinite love. And, it is the same Holy Spirit that will allow you to gaze upon your Savior and Him to gaze upon you.

The more submissive you are to the Holy Spirit, by Whose power that bread became transubstantiated into our Lord, the more you get out of adoration. If you have difficulty with adoration, just ask the Lord to show you that He is present. And, in the words of Father Benedict Groeschel, "once you are aware that He is there, you will be changed."

Miracles have occurred before the Blessed Sacrament. I can attest to that. And, to drop the last name, Saint Augustine of Hippo said, "Understanding is the reward given by faith. Do not try to understand in order to believe, but believe in order to understand."

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:5, topic:327478"]
One of my problems is that my mind wonders. It even wonders when I am praying the rosary and I get discouraged. When my mind goes to wondering I feel like I have done something wrong.

[/quote]

I forget which Saint said it, but if all you do is constantly call your wandering mind back to the Lord, it is time very well spent.

[/quote]

That's ok, mine does too! I just tell Him, "Look at me! I can't even think straight!" he knows this about me (and others like us) because He made me like this. So, I just laugh it off, regroup, and get back to where I "messed up" for lack of a better phrase. Offer it up to Him as a sacrifice instead of becoming discouraged. It's a rather light cross to bear compared to others.

[/quote]

Don't give up and don't feel bad because the wondering mind is quite normal, unfortunately. When you realise that your thoughts are drifting away, just remind yourself of where you are in prayer and carry on. If I'm praying the Rosary and get distracted, I think of the mystery I am contemplating and continue. I might repeat the last Hail Mary in order to compensate fir my drifting thoughts.

It takes discipline to acquire a still mind. It's not easy but it can be done.

It's very common for the mind to wonder. It happens to me too during prayer and adoration.

God knows you are there. That is very important. Being there, in his presence. If nothing else, that is a sure sign to God that you want him in your life.

God Bless you

This may sound wierd, but it happens to me. When I empty my mind, thoughts come in without me doing anything. These thoughts are about some aspect of my Lord. These thoughts make me feel good. I sometimes see myself talking silently. My lips move, but no sound. Sometimes this goes on for as much as five minutes or so. I really feel His Presence and I feel his voice. Best time in the world, wisely spent. I must add, however, that silence, for me, is the best stimulator of my time with my Lord. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="7armyrugrats, post:3, topic:327478"]
I don't know that there is a right or wrong way. As long as you are respectful and Christ is the center of your attention, I don't think it can be wrong. It's my date night activity with my husband--yes we are THAT boring. It's a place for my kids to catch up on catechism home work on nights they need to come with me. It's my quite time out of the house on the rare occasion I get to go alone. And sometimes if another adored is there, it's a place to converse with another adult about the beauty of our faith, or comfort one another when we experience hardships. I've prayed the rosary, read the catechism, talked to my priest, and all in the presence of God. Go with the flow, so many graces come from spending a little time with God. He doesn't ask much from us, but he gives us so much

[/quote]

You go to adoration on your date night? That's the most precious thing I've ever heard!! Talk about putting Jesus at the center of your marriage....wow! You are very blessed!

[/quote]

Me, too! :o Suddenly, I'm thinking about the yardwork, grocery store stop, or a conversation with a friend----something other than what I should be doing.

Here's what I do: I apologize to our Lord, pray an Act of Contrition, and put myself back where I should be. Also, I have a few books with guided contemplation for Adoration. These really help me. You might consider one of those books.

Please don't give up! :)

[quote="105lynne, post:13, topic:327478"]
You go to adoration on your date night? That's the most precious thing I've ever heard!! Talk about putting Jesus at the center of your marriage....wow! You are very blessed!

[/quote]

Yes, we sure do! It's a cozy booth in the back, lit by candle light, with the best food in the universe. It's quiet, is surrounded by beautiful art and flowers, and free. Can't get much better than that. Having 8 kids, the quietness is enough for us. The benefits are immeasurable as well

[quote="asia53, post:14, topic:327478"]
Me, too! :o Suddenly, I'm thinking about the yardwork, grocery store stop, or a conversation with a friend----something other than what I should be doing.

Here's what I do: I apologize to our Lord, pray an Act of Contrition, and put myself back where I should be. Also, I have a few books with guided contemplation for Adoration. These really help me. You might consider one of those books.

Please don't give up! :)

[/quote]

Link to books? Thanks

[quote="ajecphotos, post:16, topic:327478"]
Link to books? Thanks

[/quote]

So far, my favorites:

http://www.renewed-life.com/shop/customer/images/products/images/quee-78279_n.jpg
*An Hour With Jesus, Volume 1
adoremusbooks.com/anhourwithjesusvolumei-perfectbound.aspx

*An Hour With Jesus, Volume 2
adoremusbooks.com/anhourwithjesusvolumeii-perfectbound.aspx?zmam=46742494&zmas=1&zmac=78&zmap=90063&gclid=CMywvciGsLcCFfFDMgodS1UAcA

Holy Hour of Reparation

Part of Sacred Heart Devotion.

adoremusbooks.com/holyhourofreparation.aspx

You know, St. John Vianney once observed that there was a man who came to the church, faithfully, pretty much every day to sit in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. St. John once said to him, "What do you say to Our Lord every day?" to which the man replied, "Nothing. I look at Him, and He looks at me."

Sometimes a prayer of contemplation, or "just being" with Our Lord is enough.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.