Adoration

I was at adoration today and I was the only person there in the chapel. The tabernacle that stores the monstrance has a veil that covers it. I’m new to Catholicsm and I want to know is it ok to pull the veil back while I’m there and then pull it back to after I leave because I would love to see Jesus in the host. Thanks and God Bless

I would have to say “No, it’s not.”. Only a person who has been authorized by the priest can do something like this, I think. That is how it was at the Church I attend for Eucharistic Adoration.

The Tabernacle is the Holy of Holy’s. Be content simply to be in his presence during times like this. Actually seeing Jesus hidden in the Blessed Sacrament is not essential to you reaping all the Graces for visiting Him.

Our Lord is very happy, I’m sure, for your visit, however!:slight_smile:

Hi catholic111,

I think that it’s great that you are going to Adoration. :slight_smile:

I agree with Jamal’s post.

I would not do anything to the Tabernacle while you are there, although I understand that you are curious about it.

Okay thanks! I will just leave it alone and enjoy my time with Jesus!

No, that should not be done. There are specific rules and practices to be observed at adoration especially if there is to be exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.

But please continue to be in His presence.

Note that in some churches there is an alarm protecting the Tabernacle. It is probably best to remain a couple of feet from it to avoid embarrassment. :wink:

Yes, there are security cameras at ours.:thumbsup:

Catholics should remember that Jesus is there, whether it is in a monstrance (covered or not) or in the tabernacle. There are exceptions, but the rule is that when the Blessed Sacrament is present, there is supposed to be a vigil candle burning.

Theologically, Jesus is there. There is no reason to doubt.

Another generality is, that the Eucharist is usually not exposed unless THERE IS somebody there, like a volunteer who has signed up for adoration. The fact that you were alone, is an indication of something – maybe the door should have been locked to the chapel, to begin with – not leaving the Eucharist unattended.

The more I think about it, maybe the monstrance was covered because the Eucharist was not in it, and was safely stored in the tabernacle. There are practical rules, and it is hard to say how they might be interpreted in each case.

The tabernacle is the locked “box,” for lack of a better word, in which the Blessed Sacrament is kept. The monstrance is the “stand” which holds the consecrated host for adoration and/or Benediction

Sometimes the empty monstrance is kept nearby for convenience and, at least in my parish, it is covered with a plain white cloth while it is empty. In some parishes the tabernacle is dressed in a covering, sometimes ornate, and often matching the color of the liturgical season, but pulling it aside would merely expose the outside of the closed tabernacle and not the consecrated host.

This would be my guess too.

Dear Friend,

If you were there for scheduled Adoration time, then the Blessed Sacrament should not have been veiled in the first place. Someone else should have been there when you arrived.

The tabernacle is locked (at least it’s required to be locked). If you pull the veil back, all you will see is a locked door.

What I am trying to say here is that I think there are some misunderstandings, maybe just a very simple issue of the schedule. Maybe someone gave you an old schedule, or maybe Adoration had to be cancelled that day and no one told you this.

What you really should do is to talk to the parish pastor and explain to him what happened when you went to the church that day. Not that you did anything wrong, but because the situation (as you describe it) just isn’t making sense.

If you went to the church at the right time, the Blessed Sacrament should have been clearly visible to you, and there should be no reason for you to post your question on CAF. Again, not that this is your fault.

Please do talk to the pastor. Something is happening that’s not quite right and he needs to be aware of it. I’m not saying anyone’s at fault. It might just be a simple matter of the schedule being printed wrong.

Our Adoration chapel is off the right of the main altar so there is no door. The Tabernacle behind the main altar is veiled and behind the veil is a locked door. In the the Chapel the monstrance is reserved much like the photo below except that is has a veil that is put up when there are no other people in adoration. I talked to someone in the Church office and they said I could remove the veil but to make sure I put it back when I left. I looked it up online and many churches just veil the monstrance while nobody is there and at the end of the day when the church closes the Priest will lock away the monstrance. Thanks Guys for your Help!

I’m puzzled by why this would be done, that is, what purpose it would serve. Was any reason given when you asked?

The reason is that the Blessed Sacrament is never to be exposed in an empty room.

If the only person there needs to leave for some reason (for a short while) then the Sacrament should be veiled until someone returns. This is only done for a short time, and the security of the Blessed Sacrament must be maintained.

I certainly understand the need for security. It just doesn’t strike me that a piece of cloth would provide much.

It doesn’t.

The cloth itself is not for security, it’s for respect.

If someone needs to leave for a very short time (let’s say long enough to make a phone call to say “pick me up in 10 minutes”) the person could veil the Blessed Sacrament, step out of the chapel into the hallway, and make that quick phone call. The point is that it’s not very likely that anything disrespectful will happen in such a short time, with someone “within earshot.” The veil is there for respect.

In contrast to that situation, if security cannot be presumed, then the Blessed Sacrament should be returned to the locked tabernacle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.